ferret fuel pipe

griff66

bit of help needed presently am in process of painting inside of ferret ,have noticed a fuel weep from pipe on l/h side of fuel filter( looking at filter) the pipe travels down and connects onto a bracket that should be bolted to gearbox ,this bracket can anyone tell me is the male union soldered to bracket or is it a one piece union that goes right thru it? sorry for confusing post! ipc is not that clear batt box has to come out to see bracket.

Reasonably certain that its not soldered it might be welded on. I don't think that its brazed on either. I was looking at one last night while I was looking for the alloy ID plate for the inside of one my Ferrets, I can't see me getting a pic of it till Sunday.

I'm trying to sort out the bits that I don't want for ebay or Malvern.

Its not a grease nipple (I know you didn't mention that) I think its something to do with cold starting (I can't remember the name of the system). I think all of the B series of engines were fitted with this system, its usually capped off but the pipes remain.

Ki-gass cold start system

have managed to bolt bracket back on ,7/16 spanner with nut jammed in it masking tapped to LONG screw driver, bolt and washer thru trans housing, took off access plate on hull, think designed for fuel tank draining managed at fingers length to get washer on then fed spanner with nut thru access hole whilst wifey slowly turned bolt head . all tight now . same access hole that lets you look at fuel pump JUST touch it but not prime it:cool2:

have managed to bolt bracket back on ,7/16 spanner with nut jammed in it masking tapped to LONG screw driver, bolt and washer thru trans housing, took off access plate on hull, think designed for fuel tank draining managed at fingers length to get washer on then fed spanner with nut thru access hole whilst wifey slowly turned bolt head . all tight now . same access hole that lets you look at fuel pump JUST touch it but not prime it:cool2:

IF you need to prime it, use a length of wooden rod or Dowel. Puth this through the access hole until it butts against the end of the priming lever. Push back & forth rapidly with short strokes & that will prime the carb.

A MUCH easier method I have found to prime the carb inseconds with virtually NO effort is.

Put a blow gun on the end of an Air hose from a compressed air tank. Fit this onto the Tank vent at the top rear of the hull, & pressurise the tank a LITTLE. You will hear the fuel flow to the carb & the Tank MAY 'Ping' a bit as you are blowing the sides out!

WARNING: Do NOT over pressurise or you will split your Tank!!! :nut:

It only needs a FEW Pounds PSI to do this. It is VERY quick & convinient. BUT, you mustnt blow air into it TOO MUCH!

I ALWAYS do this if the Ferret has not been run for a few months & all the Fuel slowly drains from the carb back into the main tank. It save grovelling underneath the vehicle!:nut:

Also, if you do this after it has been standing a while. You WILL extend the life of your starter! :cheesy:

As always with anything concerning the subject of Fuel. GREAT CARE MUST BE EXERCISED WHEN DOING THIS!!! :-X

Mike

• 4 weeks later...