Markheliops' Ward La France diesel conversion

TooTallMike

Hi all.

Update on the conversion.

Haven’t reported much in the last few weeks so some of you may have thought not much was going on. I’m happy to report the exact opposite has been going on.

Mike has been terribly busy what with working in France, lambing season, getting married (fast approaching) and keeping the other half on side.

Mike re-built the transfer box and reported to me with the mentioned unit. Now the transfer box was ready I was able to crack on.

I took my four days off duty and really got stuck in as Bunker Bash was quickly approaching and the conversion was behind schedule. I basically spent all four days (from 0700 - 2200hrs) getting to grips with the re-build.

I finished the install of the transfer box, parking brake mechanism, brake application valves, air pipes, selector rods, brush guard, clutch unit, linkages and re-built the front axle output unit.

The cab was duly put back on, electrics nearly sorted, pedals connected, and other associated items put back together.

Mike has been backwards and forwards getting to grips with the fuel lines, intercooler piping, a rather nice exhaust system and other brackets and piping.

Two minor issues have stalled our progress - well one issue and one moment of stupidity.

When we tried to start the Cummins, the starter motor would not turn the engine quick enough to self bleed the fuel system. Then the starter motor became red hot, slowed and then finally wouldn’t turn the engine despite having a booster on the battery.

After two days of scratching our heads, trying two other starter motors and endless calls to people who may have known what the issue was we ran out of time.

I decided to take the starter motor for bench testing and overhaul as both Mike and I couldn‘t see any other reason for the problem other than a knackered starter motor.

I had the starter overhauled by a local company - (5 days / £140).

This was the situation yesterday Saturday 1st May.

Mike and I met up yesterday, hopefully to fire up the engine.

Imagine my shock and down right annoyance when we found not only was the starter doing the same thing as before but now the solenoid wasn’t even engaging. I had a sense of humour failure and we were fast running out of ideas as what could be the issue.

Not to be out done we decided to tow start the Ward to see if the engine would fire up. First, we removed the injectors to ensure the engine would spin over without any issues to remove the possibility of an engine defect causing the issue.

We removed the ejectors and then moved the Ward in gear with Mikes Landrover - sure enough - the engine span freely without issues. The farmer towed us with his tractor and finally the engine burst into life. Ah the sweet sound of a Cummins actually working!!!

th_Video0020.jpg

This was the first time the Ward has moved under Cummins power since the conversion.

Mike was pleasantly surprised that the clutch works correctly without any issues at all. I was just pleasantly surprised.

Although the project has come on leaps and bounds - The Bunker Bash is looking increasingly unlikely.

I can finish everything I have to do but we have an issue of how to fit the fan to the pulley we needed to use. In short, we want to use the Ward fan but this requires a boss to be made which will allow the fan to be attached to the pulley on the engine and extend past the intercooler pipes. Neither set of bolt holes on the fan or pulley match so this is where the issue is. If anyone knows of a firm who can manufacture such an adapter around the Kent / Surrey area - please can you PM me with their details.

Well I haven’t given up on the BB yet so who knows. Mike is in France all week and on his stag-do at the weekend - let’s see what happens?

Ah - the moment of stupidity I mentioned was down to me:

I was very tired and had been at it for over 12 hours. I was attaching a strop to the cab in readiness to lift it on to the chassis. I threw the strop over the tele lift boom and it came down straight through the windscreen. Oh well - you live and learn!

Markheliops

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great news Mark :-)

Starter must have been ok on ERF when you viewed it. Is there a bad wiring connection on WLF causing low voltage / high current, which would have caused overheating of the starter which then would have then caused damage to it? Sounds like the problem still exists.

The more inspirational this thread becomes, the more obstructive the list of 'things to do before I start mine' becomes :sweat::whentitsdone:

Forget to mention NOS -

The starter is not the one from the Cummins engine - we had to use a different one due to the smaller flywheel housing.

We used a Leyland Roadrunner 12 volt starter motor.

When I had the unit overhauled - they initially found nothing wrong. I advised them of the symptoms and they came back to me saying the armature was failing under load.

Well okay - an overhaul it is.

When we re-fitted the starter and symptoms were worse including the solenoid not engaging we had to re-think.

I finally stumbled on the problem when I was giving the solenoid some love with a REME tool. Mk1. When I hit the solenoid metal casing, it sparked!!!

Upon closure inspection we found the link between the starter and the solenoid was loose.

After tightening it seems to work okay.

Markheliops

Hi Chrisg -

Will try and get a pic tomorrow as I'm back at the farm -

If you look at the video you can see the silver pulley at the front of the engine - this is where the boss / adapter will have to be attached to the silver pulley with the Ward La France fan on the other end.

Which reminds me -

I need a temperature gauge as the one fitted to the Ward is not long enough - ie the cable and sensor will not reach the Cummins engine attachment.

TTM said a Jeep one will reach and is the same as a Ward gauge - can any Jeep owners confirm this before I order one or does anyone have a spare to sell me.

Many thanks

Markheliops

TTM said a Jeep one will reach and is the same as a Ward gauge - can any Jeep owners confirm this before I order one or does anyone have a spare to sell me.

Mark,

Strangely enough, I have just fitted a new temp guage in a Jeep and the capilliary tube was barely long enough, compared to the old one, less than two foot I reckon. So if you order one, check the length. I cannot remember where this one came from.

new jeep ones are about £35-£40 depending on whether Willys or Ford. the tube is very short though, some of the old ones i have removed are up to 4-5 feet long.

I fitted a new one in my GTB needed to be a lot longer than how they come so i sent it off to Speedograph richfield and they put a longer tube on for me.

Baz

I bought a modern repro one for my Ward and the capillary was about 4' or 5' long. It came from W+P and I was able to open it and check length before purchase. A reputable supplier should be able to check for you.

ChrisG - is this you reminding me that you said you have a lathe...? If so, would you let me tack weld near it? - you see what we need to do is part off the ERF crankshaft to fan adapter, centre it on the aforementioned silver pulley, and then weld it in place... I can bring Donuts...

- MG

• 2 weeks later...
Did the Cummins Ward make it to Bunker bash and back, Mark? What's the verdict? :coffee:

Hi all.

I’m happy to report the Ward was completed in enough time for me to travel to the Bunker Bash over the weekend.

When I say completed, I mean finished to the stage where I could put the thing on the road.

Mike and I managed to find the hours required to do the things which were stopping the Ward from taking to the road.

A MASSIVE thanks to Mike who managed to find the time to help me with the project and I know it is no under-statement to say the project would never have got further than an idea without his technical input and top welding skills.

The result –

I’m very happy with the conversion.

Those who looked over the Ward at the Bunker Bash will, I think agree looks no different from when the petrol lump was installed. This was my one concern during the planning phase of the conversion and I was most insistent the Ward would not lose its good looks.

The extra power is a god send. Started Wrotham Hill in fourth gear and only had to drop down to third to make it to the top. With the petrol lump, as soon as the truck was on the approach to this god-forsaken stretch of the M20 I was dropping down the gear box to second gear and if towing the trailer – first gear was the only option.

Quite scary with artics fast approaching at 60 mph.

The ride of the Ward is something I have to look at with the front suspension needing some fine tuning – but nothing to do with the engine conversion.

Adjustments will be on-going and continuous tweeting will be taking place over the coming months.

More importantly, I am more than optimistic about making it all the way to A&E next month with the love trailer in tow.

I intend over the next few weeks to give the Ward a good service and a lick of paint where needed.

Markheliops

The power to weight ratio of a modern diesel is way better than that of an old petrol (or an old diesel for that matter). In the old days to dieselise a WLF you had to move the radiator forward by a foot to shoehorn in an engine big enough to shift the truck, and having done that you'd created a slogger that was good for winching and towing but no good for distance work.

Any ideas how big a 220hp diesel was in the 40's, 50's, 60's, even 70's?

The power to weight ratio of a modern diesel is way better than that of an old petrol (or an old diesel for that matter). In the old days to dieselise a WLF you had to move the radiator forward by a foot to shoehorn in an engine big enough to shift the truck, and having done that you'd created a slogger that was good for winching and towing but no good for distance work.

Any ideas how big a 220hp diesel was in the 40's, 50's, 60's, even 70's?

Go on tell us !!!!

You know you want to, also I suppose it is down to modern injection systems and design of combustion chambers ?