What MV will fit

MichelK

Question

Hi folks,

I'm planning to buy an MV and I need some advice

I'm from the Netherlands and I'm one of the guys who contributes to the fact that the Dutch are the longest people in the world

My length is 1.98m or 6.5ft and I'm wondering what vehicle would be the best choice to buy because of my length

I'm only in possesion of an car driving license so truck's or motorcycle's are not an real option

In the Netherlands you are allowed to drive an vehicle with an GVW of 3500kg with an car driving license

Has some one had similar problems or experiences with this??

Any suggestions ? :help:

MichelK

Hi folks,

thanks for the advice

Concerning the Ferret armoured cars, these are hard to get here in Holland

There are some on sale in the UK at Milweb and some other sites, however the prices range from 9000 to 25000 pound

That is an little to much :sweat:

Especialy because there will be additional cost's for shipping and custom's

Concerning the Land rover I will keep them as an option

I already considered the Dodge 51 / 52 / 54 / 63 or even 56

However I have been talking to an colleague who restores MV's part time and he adviced my not to go for the Dodge

This because of the little leg room

Concerning the Dingo, that is even more expensive then an Ferret

I found 1 for sale a year ago for 21000 Euro...:wow:

MichelK

Michel, I agree with the others on driving the Dodge WC. I have been in a wheelchair for the last few years and had to pass over the driving of my 1945 Dodge WC51 to a friend of mine. He's 195 cm tall and can drive the Dodge without problem. The driving position is not optimal but its very hard finding an MV that's both affordable and driveable.

We've solved the problem of driving position by taking brakes and letting the driver stretch his legs.

You can also try rearranging the drivers chair and move it back 2-3 cm, I've read of guys that have done that.

Why not ask someone that owns a Dodge WC to let you drive it for a couple of hours? I think you need to drive it for a while to get the feel of it.

I'm enclosing a picture of my friend Soeren driving my Dodge.

Choosing the WC51 over the WC52 saves you about 50 cm in length (and 200-300 kg in weight), and the WC51 fits into most garages, if you just remove the tarpaulin in the back and lower the windshield.

Good luck Michel, let us know what you decide [and lots of pictures once you've bought your vehicle ;-) ]

Live well - and prosper,

Goran N

Sweden

High speed drive	.jpg

Captain Kirk urged him on -

"faster, faster!"

He screamed down to engineering -

"Give us more power Scotty.... "

"We must outrun these damned Klingons"

Jokes aside. The picture was taken by a photographer, Hagen Hopp, from the Swedish monthly magazine Nostalgia, that ran a 4 page article on my Dodge WC51 in 2005. They really liked the fact that my Dodge a weather-beaten look to it. I borrowed the Bantam, also with the same weather beaten look, from a friend of mine.

They could have chosen from a whole hoard of extremely well restored vehicles, with perfect factory finish paintwork, but they chose mine. Go figure...

Live long - and prosper,

Goran N

Hey folks,

thanks for the advice so far :thanx:

There is an fair from Keep Them Rolling later on this month, perhaps there will be an Dodge for sale to investigate :cool2:

Will also do some research on the other vehicle's mentioned

MichelK

A WC 51 and 52 will be a little tight.

I am 1.80 and when braking I had to put my leg next to the steering wheel and move under it while applying pressure.

A Command Car gives more legroom and its relative easy to put the front bench a few CM´s to the back.

They are $$$$ though...

A friend of mine is very tall and claims he does not fit in a dodge, he now drives a jeep. I on the other hand fit better in a dodge then a jeep and I'm 185cm tall. I think it's more to do with where you feel best in.

The ktr fair will mostly have parts and militaria, not too many vehicles for sale, if any. Best to look at milweb and http://gaf.zeelandnet.nl in the for sale section. Expect prices from 6000 euro but don't pay more than 8500.

Edited by Joris

Considering a Jeep was built for men averaging 1.6 meters trall ! you'd need the drivers seat in the back!:wow:

Anyone remeber the old Fiat 127? A sewing machine with a lid? I knew someone your sizes and well built, who drove one. He litterally had his knees each side of the sterring wheel!

Hi folks,

thanks for the advice so far

I already had the idea that it would go in the direction of "go and try"

The only problem is that MV's are not so common as an normal car

And unless you know some one with an MV the trying part could be an problem, because most MV owners are not alway's happy to let an complete stranger test their vehicle

So that's the reason to ask around and see what anwsers come up

I will keep all your advice in mind when picking an MV

MichelK

PS: some MV-owners don't even like it if you stand to close, they will try to snap your hand of :angry

Hi folks,

an short up-date

I'm going after the ..... Dodge WC

First of all, I prefer an WW 2 vehicle.

Second, I like them more then for example an Jeep

Third, more car for less money when compared with an WW2 jeep :whistle:

Final, there are an couple for sale (51 & 52) at the moment in the region where I life

MichelK

Hi folks

an short update

I got myself an ........ Dodge WC52, build in 1942 :cool2:

The person where I bought it from was the first owner of the vehicle after it was sold from Norwegian Army stocks

He restored the Dodge and removed all non-WW2 modifications made at the Norwegian army

So now I'm the second owner in the 25 years the vehicle has Dutch road registration

After some testing and discussion it was possible to move back the seats an couple of centimeter (with the help of some steel plates and additional nuts and bolts :whistle: )

Michel

Here we go again, the why winch argument! Congratulations on buying the second best version of the best military vehicle ever built!

Well they build the first with out it and then decided there was some things to improve, like putting an winch to the front :rotfl:

However it is still the original 6volt system, like it should be according the TM

Not rebuild to 12V, that also according the TM, was only used in the command cars and aumbulance types :readbook:

Concerning the pic's

Michel

Dodge WC52 rn 287538.jpg

Dodge WC52 rn 287538_02.jpg