supertrack

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

hello,

he's got a gearbox that comes from this tank :

http://www.shermantankoverloon.nl/?id=41&lan=en&sz=2

I know this, because he's got it thanks to me :laugh::laugh:

Apparently there is nothing new in the project, Supertrack is still looking for bogie assemblies, which seem very hard to find and buy. Once he's got 4 of them, he'll go further in the restoration.

P-O

Hi P O , Hi Boy . not a lot up date because i just keep a few parts .

I have buy some small parts for my C1 continental engine .

And with "Shadock" help i buy an gear box .

I have too two "hub" and small part for the wheels .

See pictures .

Not too much lucky this time ...:blush:

HPIM3769.jpg

HPIM3772.jpg

An awesome project and no mistake...hats off in some order to you!....:cheesy:....

showing complete ignorance here ...(and ready willing and able to be told)....but..

.whats the position with purchasing/acquiring parts from the seemingly many wrecks on various ranges around Europe?.....in my mind particularly are the Shermans that are lying in the dunes near Biville?..... ...as I said.....

showing my ignorance ...but are the various authorities impossible to do a deal with ???...either for a complete tank or to strip some bits off them????...

Going on what some of you lads have rebuilt in the past.... and the Sherman in this thread is a good example.....the ones at Biville look like viable rebuild projects to me....and if not rebuildable they would be a cracking source of parts... (from the little I can see off the various Youtube videos ...I've not actually inspected them)......and having done a lot of heavy plant work in my time they certainly look 'recoverable' if you had the right kit and /or money to hire it in.......

......and .....maybe I shouldn't say this but...

....what's stopping folk just 'helping themselves' to some bits of those wrecks anyways?........

.. (apart from not being of a nefarious nature maybe...and the fact that most European Police carry guns of course......:cool2:)

An awesome project and no mistake...hats off in some order to you!....:cheesy:....

showing complete ignorance here ...(and ready willing and able to be told)....but..

.whats the position with purchasing/acquiring parts from the seemingly many wrecks on various ranges around Europe?.....in my mind particularly are the Shermans that are lying in the dunes near Biville?..... ...as I said.....

showing my ignorance ...but are the various authorities impossible to do a deal with ???...either for a complete tank or to strip some bits off them????...

Going on what some of you lads have rebuilt in the past.... and the Sherman in this thread is a good example.....the ones at Biville look like viable rebuild projects to me....and if not rebuildable they would be a cracking source of parts... (from the little I can see off the various Youtube videos ...I've not actually inspected them)......and having done a lot of heavy plant work in my time they certainly look 'recoverable' if you had the right kit and /or money to hire it in.......

......and .....maybe I shouldn't say this but...

....what's stopping folk just 'helping themselves' to some bits of those wrecks anyways?........

.. (apart from not being of a nefarious nature maybe...and the fact that most European Police carry guns of course......:cool2:)

Hello,

that's not as easy as it seems. There are many wrecks on fire ranges in France, but you always need to know "someone" either in the Army or at the Ministry of Defence to help to get a hulk.

Regarding the tanks at Biville, it is a bit different. Two different associations (including the Paratrooper museum at Sainte Mère Eglise) currently dispute the ownership of the 3 M4A1 Sherman wrecks that lye there. I have seen myself the tanks. Detailed galleries there :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman2_biville/index.html

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman3_biville/index.html

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman1_biville/index.html

and I can tell that most of the interior parts (seats, fire extinguisher bracket, etc etc) are heavily rusted due to the salt (the tanks are located 50 meters away from the sea shore). I also presume that the bearings on the running gear are rusted too, so the running gear parts will probably not be serviceable now.

So, I guess one could make a good tank frm the 3 there, with a lot of work and a full reconstruction of the internal parts (just like the M10 Achilles in UK), but for sure the one that is badly cut-up will be scrapped rather than restored (hopefully, once somebody has taken all the good parts).

P-O

Edited by the_shadock

cracking galleries Shadoc thanks for sharing them...... :)

such a shame they are left there decaying isn't it?..

...do you have much info on them? I guess the range is now out of use?...

or are they in for a possible further battering ?

anyways hope someone rescues them it would seem there are a lot of serviceable parts to be salvaged even from the one that someone has started to chop....

I'm sure I read on here a while ago that someone had paid a grand opr so a piece for new front crew hatch lids?....if thats so... there's more than a few grand in those photos!!...what price an idler assemble complete with rollers?....even if it does need a complete overhaul??........

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...