sherman M4A4 (in France )

supertrack

Is this one without range damage to the upper surfaces?

Hello,

it is a very late M4A4 with Serial Number 22434 (the last ever built was 22652). It served in the French army in the 1950s.

the only damage is on the driver's hood, the hatch is bent in the same way so it can still be closed correctly.

IMGP7449.JPG

the hull is very complete, it still has boxes and accessories in rather good condition :

IMGP7447.JPG

Pierre-Olivier

IMGP7446.JPG

Edited by the_shadock
add photos

Thanks for the photos PO, you do have some luck Johann, so complete....could you recommend some lottery number for Saturday, I am sure they would come up :-D

It is interesting how they tucked the radial style air cleaners up behind the rear armour, very similar to the M4.

Edited by ajmac

It is interesting how they tucked the radial style air cleaners up behind the rear armour, very similar to the M4

you probably know that France reequipped all its M4A4s with radial engines in the 1950s. The multibanks were too complicated to deal with, so they got rid of them. So, this tank was one of the ones that had a radial, that's why they also had air cleaners at the back..

P-O

I understood that P-O, but I have never seen any originally equipped M4A4-Ts upclose, are there any M4A4-Ts restored to post war spec or indeed in good original condition?

this one still has the air cleaners in place :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_neuvy/index.html

this one is still in good condition too :

http://the.shadock.free.fr/Tanks_in_France/sherman_stlaurent/index.html

P-O

Thanks for the photos PO, you do have some luck Johann, so complete....could you recommend some lottery number for Saturday, I am sure they would come up :-D

It is interesting how they tucked the radial style air cleaners up behind the rear armour, very similar to the M4.

I'm lucky , the lottery numbers are 6 6 44 14 18 39 45 Good luck:D

• 3 weeks later...

I know Mr B will be along with the photos and detail, but the stowage diagram suggests it is a clip for holding down 5 gallon water containers.

Do you have any photos of your new hull engine compartment?

Edited by ajmac

On the rear left side there is a number look's like british number : T 22 34 . 3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]66118[/ATTACH]

Johann,

Joe DeMarco told me in a recent email that your two M4A4 Shermans have been remanufactured (upgraded) by Chrysler for the British. There is no proof yet that they saw actuel combat service with the British (these seem to be shipping markings and not combat markings), but they were for sure both used by the French Army in the 1950s. I hope to be able to discover more painted markings on next Saturday, when I'll see you and your tanks.

Pierre-Olivier

I saw a good wartime photo at the Chrysler factory of a bay full of M4 hybrid hulls stacked two high (Chrysler turned to M4 Hybrids when M4A4 production stopped), in the sea of M4s were two or three M4A4 hulls. At a guess I would say these were part of the rebuild program which took USA service machines and made them as new for shipment to Britain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...