Kemble Break Downs!

sirhc

Did everyone who went have a good weekend?

We seem to have had some pretty bad luck when taking vehicles to Kemble, and the luck struck again for us this time. The Fox was booked in, but the brakes locked on and caught fire on Wednesday and we couldn't rebuild them in time. I took the Ferret instead but ended up picking up 2 punctures on the way down. I don't use run flats, and have never had a puncture before! Luckily ATS in Cirencester had some inner tubes, and Paul with the Scammell Explorer had a Ferret split rim tyre changing kit so we were able to sort it out. My mates K2 Canteen truck died on the way home too, luckily not far from home. I wonder how busy roadsure were this weekend, anyone else break down?

Chris

The Fox was booked in, but the brakes locked on and caught fire on Wednesday and we couldn't rebuild them in time.

Chris

Chris,

how did that happen? my Fox brakes kept locking on when I first got it, I knew about this when I bought it & was caused by the previous owner putting brake fluid in it causing all the rubbers to swell, had to replace everything, master cylinder, servo, brake lines & caliper seals.. one of the caliper pistons was blue due to the heat & took a couple of hours to get out.

Lee,

I am not sure how it happened, probably partly due to lack of use (10 years outside) and partly due to a stuck servo. When we first connected it up we connected it to the coolant system by mistake. We tested it it and it seemed fine so we left it, but bought a spare incase this happened. We have a new servo on the shelf, and will be fitting it when we rebuild the cylinders and put in some new pads.

Where did you get the seals from? I've asked Richard Banister, but am going to see if they are standard commercial items before buying.

Chris

Lee,

Where did you get the seals from? I've asked Richard Banister, but am going to see if they are standard commercial items before buying.

Chris

Got everything from Richard, I think the seals were £6 each, 4 per caliper, I think the dust covers were the same price too..

1.jpg

hi chris,

i spoke to you at kemble & didn't realise who you were.

i was with young david looking for the fox when we stumbled across you sat around your wheel inviting us to have a go at your competition to see who was the quickest at breaking the bead .

nice to meet you anyway.

i wonder how many more of us were there ?

ta

Berni

Touch wood, I did 120 miles each way in the M201 :bow: with no problems, just spent the entire 4 hours each way wondering what was going to break :| then wondering why it hadn't :?

I had an A4 size HMVF sign in my windscreen but never saw another one, despite looking! :cry:

Maybe better luck at Beltring :banana:

Cheers

Paul

hi chris,

we will be at beltring although it is looking doubtful the jimmy will be there.

before we do a long journey we need to replace all the hoses, a couple more brake cylinders,the clutch ,thrust bearings & carb.

we will be taking the bike for definate & maybe the bedford logistics allowing

3 weeks to go...

ta

berni

Had a good weekend apart from a charging problem on the jeep on the way down,cured by taking a feed from the reg direct to the battery however on the way home the jeep threw a rod and ended up on tow behind the Jimmy.

I also spent time looking for people particularly Chris with the Fox, needless to say didn't find him. Nice to meet Berni and the 432 owner (sorry forgot your name ......

senile dementure again)

Degsy,

Was it you in your Jeep with hood up that I saw near the entrance to Hullavington Tractor Show a few miles before Kemble? If it was, then sorry I did not stop as I had a car so close up my a**e and it would have been difficult to break and that road from the M4 isn't very good for U turns! The owner looked like he knew what he was doing and wasn't head in hands beside the road.

BTW - who thought the set up at Kemble was all wrong? Me and a few hundred others I suspect. The stalls were furthest away from the arena, so unlike previous years you could be looking round the stalls and when the action started in the arena you could walk a few yards and have a look - then go back to the stalls in between. But this year it was either look round the stalls (which seem fewer in number in recent years) or look at the vehicles and wait in between the events. Also the refreshments were next to the arena and too far for stalls for the sole traders to nip over and get a cup of tea and be back in a mo'. Some were saying that even if a mate stood in for them it would be ten minutes each way to get a drink!

Lee,

No not yet - had the Spartan in bits the last few days. New oil, filters, tune up and a new nyloc nut to stop the fan from making a horrible noise. Now thats ready for the low loader to Beltring we can get back on with the Fox again. This afternoons job - change the servo :S

Chris

Hi Larry

No it wasn't me as we share vehicles and I usually drive the Jimmy, I doubt it was Mal either as he would be comng in to Kemble on the A417 from N Wales although he did have electrical problems on the way down the engine blew up about 30 miles from home on the return journey. Quite strange really, oil pressure normal, no noises just one big bang. We haven't stripped it yet but I assume metal fatigue has come into it somewhere, hardly surprising with 60 year old metal.