Tank Overhaul on DVD

Lauren Child

Caught an episode of them working on a bmp I think , as the show ended they were having major problems with a replacement engine that would not run . So they took out the fellows other piece of Soviet armour a tank cant recall what model.

Stone

How many were there in the whole season?

I think there were eight BMP 1, M24 Chaffee, Panther, Elefant, Sherman, Centurion, M18 and Comet.

I don't if there is any available internet feeds for these programmes I certainly know it not on TV.Blinkx.com.

QUOTE=Lewis Garner;181762]The programme is pretty good, but half the time you never got to see the finished machine!

Although I've never done one, you don't need to be a metal basher to know that these restorations take years, unless it is a cosmetic and de-contamination restoration.

I have reservations regarding the programme, apart from historians edited to make them say things they probably never said for example it was inferred that the Comet had a 17pdr gun rather than the 77mm Vickers gun, which I am sure the historian interviewed never said.

The Sherman programme was historically deficient, the tanks involved were Grizzlies -ex Canadian -ex Portuguese -brought in by Ian McGregor in the early 1980s and the two tank involved were rescued from Otterburn Training Area in 2002 after spending 17years on an ATGW range.

The deficiency is that the programme was made by a Canadian Company sponsored and partial funded by Canadian Film Tax Credits yet they were incapable in doing basic research in that the tanks were actually built at Montreal which unless Québec has completely seceded since I was at primary school is still part of Canada.

Steve

Grizzly#52-76 & A24 at redesdale camp.jpg

I enjoyed both series (two series of 4 episodes each), but they have been edited for a mass audience and sometimes things get lost in editing. Actually quite a lot does as they filmed *loads* of footage. The guys that do the filming are pretty knowledgable and were great to work with (though my some total on-screen is as a yellow dot during a pan shot), but if I remember correctly I think they said it gets edited by a different team when they get home. Interestingly they did mention that they do different edits for different markets, so the US show will be slightly different from the UK one etc.

Looking at the Duxford one, our show got mixed up with the tank museum's "Tankfest", and I'm pretty sure they re-dubbed the sound on some of the vehicles and mixed up Centurion and Chieftain, but the result is an enjoyable watch and I'm hopeful that they'll do a third series. It's always nice to see more of our hobby on television, and overall it did a good job of being educational at the same time as being entertaining.

As Steveo mentions, a tank restoration does take several years. The Centurion Mk3 is still in the workshops being worked on now with probably another year left to go. That puts a complete restoration out of the scope of most documentaries. It is a shame as it would probably be very interesting.

Edited by Lauren Child