Ferret rear silencer. A very pukka repair!!!

Lord Burley

Time, age, and usage has taken its toll on the rear silencer on the Ferret. Over the last year i have even noticed that performance is down a bit,and it was suffering quite a bit of back firing on the over run(air being sucked in so i was told).

Anyway, i was left with two options. Buy new. Or give the old one a temperory repair.The problem with buying new,was that their is only one person who has them in stock. And thats Bannisters at £350 a pop.It was then put to me that the easiest option was to give it a patch. And it would soldier on for another couple of years.Easier said than done. As it turned out in to a small mine field in other areas.

It was at this point that the job was turned over to Landrover guru Catweazle (Yes! remember him?. He is still alive) Who was ably assisted by Brains(Who just so happens to remind me of the wizend old woodpecker from Bagpuss)

First job was to remove the silencer which was a bit of PITA...............

exhaustbill005.jpg

It was a lot worse than first thought. And was rotted through along one side as well.

exhaustbill004.jpg

Rot was also found at the other end. The whole silencer was checked for thiness. And any weak parts cut out and replaced......

exhaustbill012.jpg

The blow was not only confined to the exhaust. But also to the flange that goes either side of the hull....

exhaustbill008.jpg

The flange was actually warped. And a corner had broken away.....

exhaustbill009.jpg

exhaustbill006.jpg

A new piece was welded in. And the area skimmed in order to give a flush fit......

exhaustbill011.jpg

In order to help with the flush fitting. Some nice tin gaskets were made........

exhaustbill002.jpg

While all this was being carried out. The boffins decided that there was way too much slop in the expansion joints. So these were shimmed. This reduced movement. But still allowed enough to prevent any fatigue in the system.

With the system now completed and its first coat of heat resistant paint applied. Its mounted back on the Ferret.......

exhaustbill003.jpg

The end result is. The Ferret now absolutely purrs. Performance is back up. And they have also tweeked the tickover.

Many thanks go to CW(John) and Brains(Tony) for the work carried out:thumbsup:

Very nicely done. My highest compliments to Mr. Catweazle and his helper. Here in my part of the U.S. the work on the rusty, rotted silencer would be referred to as "welding the Wheaties" and the ability in held in high regard by people who play with old tired equipment of any kind. I have attempted this myself and generally only produce smoke and holes in brown metal.

Regards,

Bob

Well another trip out over the holiday period today for another car meet. This was a local one. Well i say local. I done a 56 mile round trip. Took the scenic route:D:

I was invited to take the Ferret along as it was a bit different from what was going to be on display. And it was well recieved by all that attended.......

Manor200910.jpg

Manor20099.jpg

Mixing it with a few friends..

B.t.w the exhaust is still holding together. And not a flake of paint peeling yet...:D:

I been meaning to ask.... how did you get the nice ridge around the hole on the gasket as looks very neat an tidy?
It looks good doesnt it??. Thats the attention to detail they gave to the job. They spent ages getting the perfect shape. I will find out how they done the rolled edges.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread, i have put a better condition silencer box obtained from Clive onto the Pig, but looking at the old one, i was thinking about using some heavyish plate to make the ends, and some thick steel sheet to roll around them, there are plenty of companies that supply perforated tubing for silencer internals and pre bent tube joints.

Nice bit of practical restoration work that can be applied to any vehicle.

Nice one CW & Co.