New British Army camo' uniform

Richard Farrant

One uniform replacing two, massive cost saving, more big bonuses for whitehall staff. Cynic me never

Reading and listening to the video clips, the desert uniform will be retained, just that the new one is more flexible with current commitments as the existing DPM is more for Northern Europe terrain. So does not look much money saving there.

It makes sence, our old pattern uniforms were made to fight in Western Europe, when the Warsaw Pact started world war 3, which thankfully never happened.

As usual this is just starting to be introduced now, how long have they known this needed to be done, 3 years or 4?

Here's a great one for how long the army takes to get things done, my Grandad was testing new sleeping bags and socks ect back in 1938. My Dad finally got his brand new issued sleeping bag to replace his exercise blankets 2 weeks before he left the army in 1965.

"The British Army Brand", for f***s sake!

Would of loved to have been on the committee for that camouflage design:_

"Right we are going to make a uniform that will be perfect for operating in Afghanistan"

But what about if we want a fight somewhere else?

"You are right, it wouldnt work, lets make something that sits on the fence, and doesnt really work anywhere at all, the boys will say its a bit cack but it saves us a bit of money!"

I like the way they demo'd it against shrubbery, the present DPM blended in nicely, the new one stood out like a Pistachio ice cream!

One uniform replacing two, massive cost saving, more big bonuses for whitehall staff. Cynic me never

Or,.......Ohh, The Americans & the Germans have had a change of cammo combat uniform. We had better do the same, we dont want to get left behind!......

It's cammo but, a different pattern. Therfore, STILL distguishing between nations!.....................:confused:

What can we waste of the little money we have left in the pot?......:???

From what I understand, it's based on Crye Multicam. So why is the Army not using Multicam, even just as a stop gap?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multicam

Couldn't afford the licence fee, last I heard...

It's a fair enough thing to do, their main problem is that you can usually choose beforehand if you're going to need desert or temperate camo and pic that, but operating around the green zone you may have to flick from one to the other. There were loads of pics of our soldiers who'd dyed the dessie stuff green in huge vats of dye to make it stand out less than the issue kit...

This was the new cam system being introduced for armour and belt kit:

hybrid_cam.jpg

pecoc_soldier.jpg

It's quite similar to the existing dessie stuff but with enough green in it that you look like a shrub against a desert background but a sandy patch in the green zone. They've been doing absolutely tons of trials so you'd like to think they know what they're doing ;) The idea is that you only issue one set of bergens etc and people can wear them over whatever uniform kit is issued without having stupid colour clash when your plate carrier's desert over your temperate uniform etc.

The system is called PECOC (Personal Equipment and Common Operational Clothing) if you want to Google it a bit more easily.

Stone

The reason they are doing this is because they HAVE listened to the boys in the field for once!

IE having to dye their desert camo green while out in Afgan to give em a mish mash of colour so they dont stand out like a sore thumb when not in the sandy parts.

This was reported months ago on France 24 news channel when they were out on ops with the boys

It has nothing to do with how can we spend some money or what are the other nations doing.

Eddie

Being the tart that I am, I brought some Multicam BDU's in the summer. It's not very good for woodland (summer), but it holds it's own in the autumn. It blends in quite well with concrete too. I still think that terrain specific camo' is the only real option. But what do I know, I'm only an old poacher.

(Multicam trousers on the far left of pic'.)

Eejit2.jpg

And for some strange reason, it works well at dusk and in the dark (Strange as it's such a light coloured pattern.).

Edited by Pete

Being the tart that I am, I brought some Multicam BDU's in the summer. It's not very good for woodland (summer), but it holds it's own in the autumn. It blends in quite well with concrete too. I still think that terrain specific camo' is the only real option. But what do I know, I'm only an old poacher.

(Multicam trousers on the far left of pic'.)

Eejit2.jpg

And for some strange reason, it works well at dusk and in the dark (Strange as it's such a light coloured pattern.).

Who is the bloke in blue shirt Photoshopped in on the far right :)

It makes sence, our old pattern uniforms were made to fight in Western Europe, when the Warsaw Pact started world war 3, which thankfully never happened.

As usual this is just starting to be introduced now, how long have they known this needed to be done, 3 years or 4?

Here's a great one for how long the army takes to get things done, my Grandad was testing new sleeping bags and socks ect back in 1938. My Dad finally got his brand new issued sleeping bag to replace his exercise blankets 2 weeks before he left the army in 1965.

I have just been on ARRSE discussing boots. When I did my Scorpion gunner's course in 1976, I noticed a LG CoH was wearing unusual boots. He told me they were prototypes of something to replace DMS. In 1983, after the Falklands trench foot fiasco, it was rushed into service (after 14 years' development FFS) and when I left the army in 1989 there were rumours of a new Mark 2 boot because Boots, CH were so poor.

The reason they are doing this is because they HAVE listened to the boys in the field for once!

IE having to dye their desert camo green while out in Afgan to give em a mish mash of colour so they dont stand out like a sore thumb when not in the sandy parts.

This was reported months ago on France 24 news channel when they were out on ops with the boys

It has nothing to do with how can we spend some money or what are the other nations doing.

Eddie

You STILL need two uniforms for each specific theatre

The Desert & European theatres are VASTLY different in terms of Terrain & colour & Shadow.

This is to my mind a compromise to save money. You cannot possibly expect one uniform to hide personell in the two differening theatres.

Improving a cammo pattern is one thing. But, expecting it to perform well in the two wildly differing backgrounds is another!

If you look at the US & Germany, Yes, they now have different cam patterns, BUT, they STILL issue the patterns in TWO colours for each SPECIFIC enviroment! The vast outlay for such huge personell issue is massive. But, they still do this as they recognise that you DO indeed nedd the two type of cam pattern. You CANNOT expect just one colour scheme to blend in properly in two theatres that are WORLDS apart in layout!

It is a compromise. Smaller personell to supply, = Defense cuts on the way, Only ONE uniform to pay for, = SAVINGS???? Am I cynical?

Having served for many years in both enviroments, I feel I am qualified to comment on this Topic with a modicum of Expirience!

Mike. :coffee:

You STILL need two uniforms for each specific theatre

The Desert & European theatres are VASTLY different in terms of Terrain & colour & Shadow.

This is to my mind a compromise to save money. You cannot possibly expect one uniform to hide personell in the two differening theatres.

Improving a cammo pattern is one thing. But, expecting it to perform well in the two wildly differing backgrounds is another!

If you look at the US & Germany, Yes, they now have different cam patterns, BUT, they STILL issue the patterns in TWO colours for each SPECIFIC enviroment! The vast outlay for such huge personell issue is massive. But, they still do this as they recognise that you DO indeed nedd the two type of cam pattern. You CANNOT expect just one colour scheme to blend in properly in two theatres that are WORLDS apart in layout!

It is a compromise. Smaller personell to supply, = Defense cuts on the way, Only ONE uniform to pay for, = SAVINGS???? Am I cynical?

Having served for many years in both enviroments, I feel I am qualified to comment on this Topic with a modicum of Expirience!

Mike. :coffee:

I agree!. The point i was trying to make is that this wasn't just done on a whim because we just want to look kool or because other Nation have done so so lets change ours. What really should have been done was to introduce this as a third set of dpm's.

Eddie :coffee:

Edited by RGJ/H. Alan

Whenever I hear the words "it's good enough..." in relation to anything originating from the MoD these days my first thought is always that they really mean is "There are lots of better things out there - but we're too tight arsed to pay for them. It's cheaper to let members of the Armed Forces get killed by issuing something merely good enough rather than right for the job than issue what would really do the best job - and we can pocket the difference!!" :argh: :argh:

Whenever I hear the words "it's good enough..." in relation to anything originating from the MoD these days my first thought is always that they really mean is "There are lots of better things out there - but we're too tight arsed to pay for them. It's cheaper to let members of the Armed Forces get killed by issuing something merely good enough rather than right for the job than issue what would really do the best job - and we can pocket the difference!!" :argh: :argh:

Neil, many a true word spoken in jest! I fully concur with your comments!

ANYTHING, linked to a Government agency in my opinion.

Seems to revolve mainly around money. They of course will tell you different. But, the fact remains it's all about cash...Then, they seem to opperate on. Saving pennies, & wasting thousands!!

You always know when a Barracks is going to be sold off. They fit new double glazing & radiators....Then sell it off!..............:???

Mike.