ferret prices

griff66

Question

24 answers to this question

rather open ended! Age does not really affect it as the main visible difference is square drivers side ports rather than trapezoid shaped.

If on the other hand meaning early as in fittings then this is relevant if its complete, for example, Larkspur complete set up will be less common so worth more - but at the expense of less good intercom hence many fit a Clansman intercom as well.

If meaning early as in has more history or saw service in live troublespots of the old empire then depends if the next buyer puts a premium on that sort of thing, can't answer that as I have never decided how much I'd pay for that

for the sake of some (emotive) ball park figures:

- if you are buying then sub £4k is "good/great" for a complete runner :-D

- if you are selling then not less than £6k :cool2:

depends :)

I would say £4K would get you a decent one.

After having mine for a couple of years, the mechanicals are important and can be interesting and its worth making sure the transmission and tyres are in good nick

Cosmetics are so much easier than I thought...don't base it on past experience trying to chase rust around an old car :)

The Mk 2 with the turret actually entered service before the Mk 1. I don't think you'll find a good one, on the road, for less than £5000. But then strange things happen, like the one on milweb with the GPMG which sold ridiculously cheap earlier this year.

hi there to explain when i said early ferret i meant one without turret.

as Chris says, age is not related to the vehicle's Mark, in theory a Mk1 should be cheaper than the others, however it is also a matter of personal choice. Some people prefer a Mk 1 over the turreted versions because they are easier to get in/out and they are faster. If you are a good seller you will establish this and not allow the lack of a turret to be used to mark down the price :-\

When I said £4k I was thinking of a Mk1 which does not include fitted radio, will probably be missing a few interior boxes, and may need exterior tin bashing as well as obvioulsy a full service before driving away.

Others prefer a Mk1/2 for ease of access with the added selling point the fixed turret means you can securely lock down the vehicle.

those who want to get a kick from owning a "tank" will only ever buy a Mk2 hence the undoubted premium on their price (or Mk4 which will be at a further premium due to its comparative rarity)

£4k would still be a very good buy for a Mk1 and as I said I would not ask less than £6k for my turreted ones, but would not expect to get even near that for my Mk1, but then I know how much it cost me in the first place :cool2:

I'd want a lot more than £4k for mine, I put a lot of work and thousands of pounds of new bits in to it. I also would rather have a Mk 1 than a Mk 2, if I want to drive a tank I'll take the Sabre ;)

Don't be rubbing it in to much now will yah!

I prefer the turreted versions over the MK1 as I think the vehicle looks incomplete without the turret thats my preference anyway.

Two Ferrets knocking about on ebay at the moment

If I had the pennies and was starting out again I would be more inclined to buy the most complete example as the internal & external tinware is becoming interesting to find.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DAIMLER-FERRET-MK-1-2_W0QQitemZ230401754292QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item35a503c4b4

This one needs visting or asking for interior shots before even putting a bid on it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ferret-Scout-Car_W0QQitemZ220514342760QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3357add768

Andy

That one has been on before at IIRC opening ask >£6,500. Obviously it did not sell. It's location in NI does not help, the quoted £400 transport cost notwithstanding.

I know of owners who have paid upwards of £8k on professional restorers costs in addition to original purchase price, so who really knows what a Ferret is "worth"

i got quoted 995 pounds from n.i to gatwick area!!! thru shiplys bidding system.

What about good old fashioned driving it home from the Ferry terminal or sorting out a quote from North Wales (Holyhead Ferry terminal). Or asking the owner to drive it to the terminal in NI?

You could just wait a while longer one will always come up for sale when you stop looking.

That also goes for parts as well usally you miss the things you're after the most!

That one has been on before at IIRC opening ask >£6,500. Obviously it did not sell. It's location in NI does not help, the quoted £400 transport cost notwithstanding.

I know of owners who have paid upwards of £8k on professional restorers costs in addition to original purchase price, so who really knows what a Ferret is "worth"

Prices seem to be creeping up as the accessible restoration wrecks disappear. Not much fun for anyone looking to buy one now as I can't see the price suddenly dropping.

Everything in the 'military world' is going upwards £££

I am sure the UK guys will laugh when they see what Ferrets go for in the US..

I paid $25,000 US dollars for my MK 2/3. It is very clean and needed only a few minor things to get ready. Import and delivery was included in the price.

It came with the Clansman, Browning 30 cal in the turret, sand channel, fresh paint, etc so it was pretty complete..

Not too many Ferrets in the US so if you want one you have to pay.

I am sure the UK guys will laugh when they see what Ferrets go for in the US..

I paid $25,000 US dollars for my MK 2/3. It is very clean and needed only a few minor things to get ready. Import and delivery was included in the price.

It came with the Clansman, Browning 30 cal in the turret, sand channel, fresh paint, etc so it was pretty complete..

Not too many Ferrets in the US so if you want one you have to pay.

Are you sure not many in the U.S??. As most that post on Yahoo are from across the water.

Are you sure not many in the U.S??. As most that post on Yahoo are from across the water.

Not that there aren't many but the US is a big place and I have never seen one on the road, and I am only aware of one in San Diego and it doesn't have plates and isn't driven on public roads.

I took mine out and it almost created a riot. I had people following me, waving at me to pull over, etc.

I came out of a pizzeria after lunch and I counted 22 people around it taking pictures, etc.

I can take you to car shows in my area where there will be Ferrari Enzo's but I have never seen another Ferret on the road.