children in need

c101 comando

whilst a very worthy cause indeed

i cant help feel it is too close to remberance day and it steals a lot of fund raising opertunaties

it just seems that the country stops for terry wogan and children in need

its a pity more celebs dont get involved with help for heroes and the poppy apeal.

grumpy of birmingham

I should perhaps point out that there are a huge number of celelbrities who are very firmly behind Help For Heroes and The Poppy Appeal.

Regardless of feelings about Terry Wogan, CIN has rasied many millions over the many years it's been running for a very worthy cause.

whilst a very worthy cause indeed

i cant help feel it is too close to remberance day and it steals a lot of fund raising opertunaties

it just seems that the country stops for terry wogan and children in need

its a pity more celebs dont get involved with help for heroes and the poppy apeal.

grumpy of birmingham

In FULL agreement with you; Not against the idea, or owt, but come on,...every year.......:argh:

I'm a little confused,

As far as I see it, donating to one charity does not exclude you from donating to another.

Whilst I agree that Children in Need is quite close in date to Rememberance day I managed to stick a few quid in for a poppy and also managed to chuck in some to Pudsey too.

I would dissagree that the poppy appeal does not get the publicity that CiN does, Throughout October and into November I'd defy you to spot a BBC (or for that matter other tv) presenter without a poppy and since CiN is a BBC based charity it stands to reason they're going to make the most of the medium.

It's a little unfair to band Help for Heroes in with these two as H4H is a continual fundraiser without a base date, that's raised close to £32m in just over two years... frankly brilliant. CiN manages admitedly more per annum at £21m last year, but it's been going for 30 years.

As for celebrity endorsers, are The Sun, Princes William & Harry, Michael Caine, Jeremy Clarkson, Ross Kemp, James Blunt & Simon Cowell not big enough? Sure, more is better but I would hardly call it low profile.

I'm not having a go at any of the above, I am astounded however that one can feel that it's a one OR the other scenario.

As an addendum Sir Tel, waived his £9000 fee for the 2007 CiN in question which was originally paid by the BBC and not charity funds. (agreed not that he should have charged in the first place).

Edited by Tugger

Throughout October and into November I'd defy you to spot a BBC (or for that matter other tv) presenter without

Yes they do take in seriously. I notice programmes obviously recorded in the summer but scheduled to be shown in early November have presenters & participants wearing poppies.

But it always looks a bit odd that the public, eg in auction rooms, carboots etc, have no poppies but the show participants do. Not a criticism, nice they make the effort to think about it, but perhaps they are are afraid of deluge of criticism if they were seen not to be wearing a poppy in early November.