Army trial new amphibian

Richard Farrant

Brilliant!

Reminds me of a night many years ago. I was waiting in the car with a couple of friends to drive on the ferry. We had visited the UK for a tank hunting trip. In the dark we saw a shape which very much looked like a tank. We were all getting excited, but after have a close look it turned out to be a skip with a piece of tube sticking over the side . . :o

H..

This is very old news. There were at least two examples of the "Barry skip" used by a detachment of special forces in Iraq. They were used for covert ops close to the Euphrates and Tigris rivers. Apparently same skips. Just different s**t.

According to a mate who is very high in the chain of command.The Americans were so impressed with them that Delta and the 75th Rangers have been equipped with two squadrons of the Barry skip for use in Afganistan. Only problem they have had with them is that if left unattended,they have come back to find them filled with other peoples crap.

All skips heading for Afganistan now are fitted with and electrode screen to deter would-be fly tippers.

Could do with one of them up here in Cumbria at moment, still bloody raining.......:coffee:

Still p.....g down here in N.Wales but we are not in the same state as you, hope you and yours are OK and have not suffered too badly.

If they could figure out a way of lowering the suspension when parked - so that no wheels show, then this would be a very useful vehicle. It could be used to stake out all types of criminals, though on second thoughts they may think things have gone to far if the skip gave chase!:-D

Oh - I don;t know - if it scared the living cr*p out of the East Europeans around here that would go down very well. If it ain't bolted, chained or otherwise tied down they try and "take" it! Getting rather cheesed with telling the ones that bother knocking the Landrover engine beside my garage is not scrap and of calling the plod about the ones who just try and take it without asking. Mind you - from that they've nicked a couple for having a wad of stolen credit cards too - so maybe it's not all bad news.....