WWII Tommy equipment list

Joris

Just one bit of information - Bren pouches should have a press stud fixing. The tag kind of fixing is Post war manufacture.

Yes, your right.

The quick pull kinda fastener puches are sometimes dated 1944 but weren't used at the front before the end of the war.

If they were then very sparsely.

If they are un-blancoed and in good condition I can use them.

What else you got (a pic could be helpfull).

They are blancoed I'm afraid. Today's tidy up and sort out got diverted by number one son pulling engines out of Land Rovers. I'll have a sort and PM you.

What was the standard equipment list used by the WWII Tommy from the Dorset regiment, 43 Wessex? I'm going to start collecting some Tommy stuff too but I want to know what I need first!

Hi Joris, re your kit listing, to add to Enigma's list you should also add large pack and greatcoat,.......even leather jerkin, which was worn in a lot of cases in preference to greatcoat as its a lot less bulky and a groundsheet/ poncho ........a rifle, Lee Enfield no4 is the one to go for if portraying period '44 onwards.

Tin hat would either be standard pattern Mk II or Mk III 'Turtle type'.

If you can get to see a copy's of The World War II Tommy, Martin Brayley and Richard Ingram and From D-Day to VE-Day The British Soldier, Jean Bouchery vol 1 a wealth of info is contaoned within both books,........in pic's which helps to identify kit. :)

If you've not already read the following, well worth doing so, if you can find them,.........

The Fighting Wessex Wyvern, by Patrick Delaforce

The 43rd Wessex Division at War, by Maj-Gen H. Essame

Also re B/dress, as already mentioned 40 pat (exposed buttons) were worn, also the earlier 37 pet (concealed buttons) as well.

Any more info wanted, get in touch. :)

All the best

Andy

Yes, your right.

The quick pull kinda fastener puches are sometimes dated 1944 but weren't used at the front before the end of the war.

If they were then very sparsely.

Also i belive (i could be wrong)that all war time bits if webbing had Brass buckles as apposed to the post war black metal types.

Some of this stuff can be cheap on e-bay and at Beltring if you are prepared to hunt around, one of the diffulculties is trying to find the personal contents of the small pack which i am trying to complete at present.

Ashley

Also i belive (i could be wrong)that all war time bits if webbing had Brass buckles as apposed to the post war black metal types.

Some of this stuff can be cheap on e-bay and at Beltring if you are prepared to hunt around, one of the diffulculties is trying to find the personal contents of the small pack which i am trying to complete at present.

Ashley

what personal effects are you looking for Ashley ?presumably you mean washing and shaving kit etc ,if this is so try sabre sales in Southsea they have razors,shaving brushes soap tins wash rolls,mess tins ,water bottles etc although it is dependant on what period things you are looking for as some may not be wartime dated and soap dishes although usually 44/45 dated were apparently rarely issued until after the war .One other strange point to note is that although war time dated forks and spoons are relatively cheap and easy to find war time knives seem to be vitually non existent and therefore pricey

Nigel

ps how do I know this ? I collected 2 full sets for use in Normandy this year

On the mess tin front. go modern, they look the same but are SAFE to EAT OUT OF. :)

Asnley, re the black web fittings, for the most part you are correct,....there was some webbing fitted with what was called sheradized steel, which was sometimes coated/painted black.

For webbing info have a look at British Web Equipment of two world wars, by Martin Brayley.

All the best,

Andy

what personal effects are you looking for Ashley ?presumably you mean washing and shaving kit etc ,if this is so try sabre sales in Southsea they have razors,shaving brushes soap tins wash rolls,mess tins ,water bottles etc although it is dependant on what period things you are looking for as some may not be wartime dated and soap dishes although usually 44/45 dated were apparently rarely issued until after the war .One other strange point to note is that although war time dated forks and spoons are relatively cheap and easy to find war time knives seem to be vitually non existent and therefore pricey

Nigel

ps how do I know this ? I collected 2 full sets for use in Normandy this year

Hi NIGEL,

i have most items but the knife and fork are very elusive as is the jumper that was carried in the pack. I have a housrwife (but tatty) and most of the washroll contents,so the search goes on.

Ashley

On the mess tin front. go modern, they look the same but are SAFE to EAT OUT OF. :)

Asnley, re the black web fittings, for the most part you are correct,....there was some webbing fitted with what was called sheradized steel, which was sometimes coated/painted black.

For webbing info have a look at British Web Equipment of two world wars, by Martin Brayley.

All the best,

Andy

Always handy to know...may be at Beltring could you bring down an example if you have one to compare.

Ashley

I managed to source a 1940 dated set of spoon, fork AND knife!!

Was very pleased with that.

Missing a WD toothbrush and comb (no bald jokes please).

Where there WD marked and dated toothbrush and comb?

I can remember on our first family camping holiday (1971), my late father being QM(tech) kitted us all out with the 1945 dated KFS sets, sleeping bags, blankets, poncho`s, towels and we lived off compo rations most of the fortnight ! Happy Days Happy Days

Ashley

the combs may be post war ,I will have a look some time but it is strange how nothing comes along for years and then in a warehouse somewhere a hoard of some rare item turns up and floods the market

Nigel

Very true mate , many years ago whilst looking thru some pidgeon hole shelves in an old warehouse we found boxes of king dick arrmy screw drivers, various tins of first world war one spotlight polishing powder and about 12 back pack frames for the front of bsa bicycles....

Could do with another find like it .........:coffee:

Very true mate , many years ago whilst looking thru some pidgeon hole shelves in an old warehouse we found boxes of king dick arrmy screw drivers, various tins of first world war one spotlight polishing powder and about 12 back pack frames for the front of bsa bicycles....

Could do with another find like it .........:coffee:

I presume this is why the question about the everest carriers came up,do you still have them or was it just out of interest?

Nigel