MRE question

lightweight

Question

What's the function of the 'Beverage Base Powder' in a US MRE?

It says that you should add it to your water before adding the Beverage Powder - but it doesn't get a mention as something you should do first on the actual drink powder.

Is it something to de-contaminate the water or a part of the whole taste sensation?:coffee:

9 answers to this question

Sounds a bit like "Non dairy whitener" in british rat packs, for your tea or coffee, if its not mlk based what is it.....chalk? i used to view it with suspicion and drink my tea black, much nicer.:)

Adam, I think you'll find it is hydrogenated glucose syrup. Sometimes I find it tastes nicer to drink my tea without any tea, much less complicated!

Hydroganated Glucose Syrup? Maragarine and sugar. MRE's I was always told, never use yellow snow and never eat Brown packed MRE's. Did break second rule, only once. :nut::pfrt::noyay: The last lot I saw for sale were in clear packs of twelve, 6 had packs of 20 Marlboror 6 didn't. I was told they were clear packed so that it could be seen there were no pork products in them. :???

The Beverage Whitener burns up a treat if you tip a mug of it on someone's hexi burner! :-D

Stone

Mythbusters did something similar with a large drum, compressed air, a flare, and a ridiculus amount of "non dairy creamer!, glad I drink my coffee black!!!!

Mark

So........is it going to improve my cocoa or make it worse?

Do I think of it as a sweetener?

Try it with and without ;) I think of it as an acquired taste - if it's the same as the British one it doesn't make it much sweeter but it does make it go white, hence the name. Doesn't taste much like milk (or indeed any natural substance) - I used to drink the cocoa powder mixed with the dried coffee and chuck the tea out though!

Stone