Driving a Bedford to Cameroon.. Possible?!

fingerz

Question

Hi there,

I and a gaggle of mates are considering taking part in next years edition of the Africa Rally. We would start from Blighty and would most likely seek out the most ludicrous route we would possibly take to get to the finish line in Cameroon.

I'm in need help and clarification so I can persuade my fellow team mates that a Bedford MJ is the only way to go. Below is an example of the kind of Bedford I have been looking at...

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,52,/14691/Bedford_AWD_4_Ton.htm

Heres a few Q's, if you could answer any of them I would be very appreciative.

Firstly could a Bedford even make it, are they reliable?

Would I need a HGV or LGV license to drive it? (I hold a full drivers licence taken in 2004)

Is MOD-Sales Witham the place to buy one?

Is it easy to re-register it to non-military use?

Any more info that you think would help would also be useful.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

10 answers to this question

Hi there,

I and a gaggle of mates are considering taking part in next years edition of the Africa Rally. We would start from Blighty and would most likely seek out the most ludicrous route we would possibly take to get to the finish line in Cameroon.

I'm in need help and clarification so I can persuade my fellow team mates that a Bedford MJ is the only way to go. Below is an example of the kind of Bedford I have been looking at...

http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,52,/14691/Bedford_AWD_4_Ton.htm

Heres a few Q's, if you could answer any of them I would be very appreciative.

Firstly could a Bedford even make it, are they reliable?

Would I need a HGV or LGV license to drive it? (I hold a full drivers licence taken in 2004)

Is MOD-Sales Witham the place to buy one?

Is it easy to re-register it to non-military use?

Any more info that you think would help would also be useful.

Thanks for your help.

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Is that the one where it ends in Cameroon and the vehicle is auctioned off to the locals? If so you should seek advice, because it would be exporting a military vehicle under 50 years old, and Africa could be a touchy destination for it in the eyes of the government's Export Control department. Best to know this sort of thing now, before commiting to buy a vehicle.

regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

The cars are indeed auctioned off at the end of the rally, assuming it makes it there!!

Would the fact I would be re-registering it to road/personal use effect the export control? I guess the Government would still want to know if you are exporting an ex MOD vehicle!

Cheers

Hi Richard,

The cars are indeed auctioned off at the end of the rally, assuming it makes it there!!

Would the fact I would be re-registering it to road/personal use effect the export control? I guess the Government would still want to know if you are exporting an ex MOD vehicle!

Cheers

I have been investigating the new rules for someone else on all this and can say, that a ex-military 4x4 truck with other specific features, could present a problem. Even if you paint it like a circus truck it would still not hide the fact as to what it is.

You will not get the truck into Morocco if it is ex mil it will get seized at the port. If you really want to use a truck use a civil one like in the Dakar, but saying that you can drive all the way there in a 2 wheel drive!!.

Your papers have to be spot on over there, once I took a UK plated Pajero with French MOT and Insurance and it was a nightmare to go over the borders.

Christian

From looking at the rules you will need a permanent export licence to sell it in a non EU country. It doesn't matter what colour you paint it or what you do to it, as it was owned by the MOD it's classified as an ex Military vehicle.

You will need an HGV unless it's converted to a "Motor Caravan" or down rated. If you passed your test in 2004 I don't think you will have the 7.5 ton entitlement, so down rating will not change anything if you don't have the entitlement. The Motor Caravan route is a very grey area. Some say you need an HGV if over 7.5ton and others say you don't. You will need to get this clarified.

The best place to buy a "cheap" one would be David Crouch. He sells them cheaper than Withams. If you want a really good one then you will have to part with some hard earned at Withams purely because they have the best choice available purely due to the numbers they have, but they are more expensive than other dealers.

There was a company in Pewsey Wiltshire years ago running MK as overland expedition vehilces. They brought them back for service in UK during the winter. There advice was let all the nuts rust during winter, better than any loctite, the roads will shake anything loose. They also had a strengthened roll cage over the cab with a cross piece to which an engine hoist could be attached. Aparently that was very useful for serviceing on the road.