Brooklands

• 3 weeks later...

Just read on the Historic Aviation forum, that the replica Vickers Vimy aircraft is planned to fly in to Brooklands on Sunday, to its final resting place. With the weather how it is at present, this may not happen I guess, but it would be a sight to see. I did a MV restoration for the original owner and was present on two nearby airstrips when he landed it, a very large biplane, very impressive when you think of the flights across the world that it has done.

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95729

Edited by Richard Farrant
amended link

How will they do that??. There is no runway left. Unless they intend on using the road that runs through Mercedes World to put it down on.

Mark,

From recollection of my last visit for the 100th anniversary event, that road is wide enough. The aircraft does not need a lot of runway to land, from what I have seen before. I understand it is registered on a US experimental registration and flying time is restricted, hence why it is coming to Brooklands for its final flight. Saying all this, with the weather at present it would have to dramatically improve overnight, I would have thought.

Keep an eye on that forum link as they seem to be in the loop as far as aircraft happenings.

Not long got back. A very nice turn out of vehicles,and all made a nice show on the off-road course. Nice to see some HMVF members there. Chris G, Nick Johns, and former forum member CW put in an appearance.

Also good to see what possibly is the last flight of the Vickers Vimmy. It done a couple of low fly pasts then landed on the road through Mercedes world. Good day was had:thumbsup:

Nice to see some HMVF members there. Chris G, Nick Johns, and former forum member CW put in an appearance.

I think you will find CW is still a member of the forum, still listed in the members list. Just not logged on for a while.

catweazle

Private 17-09-2007 4,418 May 29, 194762