Bitten :(

paul connor

Well.. where do I start.

When removing the roof lining of my landrover I think I mentioned on here I found what I thought was a 'black widow' spider. Well about a month later I gained a bite on my right knee. then two bites on my left.

They acted like a mozzi bite. Welts and itchy then developed into a puss head and sore and weeping. Well,they all disappeared quite fast. Then I got another. On my right knee, was a little worse but healed in 5-6 days after being very pusy.

I dont know where these bites are coming from. But I know I notice them in the mornings as itchy. I have turned my bedroom upside down and no evidence of any nasties anywhere!

Then, I put 2+2 together and realised I always aquire these when I have been working on the Landrover! on the drive..

Back from WP show on friday I attempted my wheel bearing and the morning after, a huge welt on my left knee.. as per before it transformed into a head and puss.

At the Ringmer show the Saturday I woke many times in the night in pain and walking around the show site AM I realised something was wrong.

Since then It has got worse and worse. My GP on the monday thinks I may have been bitten by a false widow and it has become infected.

Now im bed ridden and the swelling has spread to fluid on my shin and my thigh hurts when I walk. the Knee is red and leaking all manner of nasty!

So, it seems I have an Unwelcome little Critten in the landrover or on the Drive!!

Lets hope the Antibiotics (3 pills every 4 hours!) fix it! as I find it very hard to rest.

Anyone want a free False widow? free to collector? ha

Paul that all sounds pretty miserable. So presumably the Rover is infested with these things then. Can you put some bait out to draw them into a trap? So what do they eat apart from muscular young men?

Do you know your vehicle history has it been abroad or are these local little nasties do yo think?

Not nice at all, sympathies.

I would assume my vehicle has been in sandy places.. as I have blasted lots out of the chassis but again that could just be local. The 'flase widow' is a UK spider, I just seem to have had a very bad reaction to it..

Do you have the NSN for a Spider?

I would assume my vehicle has been in sandy places.. as I have blasted lots out of the chassis but again that could just be local. The 'flase widow' is a UK spider, I just seem to have had a very bad reaction to it..

Perhaps widows find you attractive? :cool2:

Get a large plastic bag and throw in a fumigation candle. you can do the same to the Land Rover if you wish. :-D

I once was nearly killed in a Land Rover by a spider. My passenger had a phobia of the things,. Taking her up Corkscrew hill at West Wickham and one came out from behind the sun visor. She ended up trying to get into my lap. Not that I'd normally complain, but the bus coming the other eway was worrying me.

Edited by Tony B

Just a side note - I had a similar sounding (though luckily not so infected) nasty bite on my arm that took *ages* to heal properly. What did it for me was the Elastoplast silver-weave plasters. Itched like the blazes but it did the trick. It's left a scar but at least I don't have a hole in my arm anymore. They may do you some good as well.

Hope you get well soon!

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
First time I've heard of the spider (don't know the part no off hand, don't think Microcat lists it) built in to every Land Rover biting it's owner. Mine usually just pops out from behind the sun visor, looks at where we are going and disappears again.

One of our customers had one living under the radio - all it's joints cracked up, so we had to bypass it so that he could use the car! (Not too many people will have a clue what we're on about . . . . ) :-D

What you have there is the rare land rover anti theft spider. All land rovers are fitted with a spider from new. They normally live in the wing wirrors.

There is a replacment spider you can get that is of the none anti theif type. Will find the part number for you and dont worry when you replace the spidr it wil kill off the anti theif one.

Oh and hope you get better soon

Replacment spider Part no :- 001984362/LRS/WEB/8LEGS/

Just make sure its not one of the non ome ones they look like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7573530.stm

Edited by cpltomo

Paul, by any chance were you camped or working next to muddy water? I had the same thing last year which turned out to be a horsefly bites mate. Just started out as a small red lump, but as soon as you itch it, hell it goes mad. I ended up on antibiotics for a week. If you are by water have a look, if there are small black fly's hovering over the muddy banks, that could well be what is biting you.

There Is a lake in the park Opposite, but they were fairly sure its spider due to the hole in my leg. We do have a huge infestation of spider in Brighton. Ill try and capture some of the more novelty ones and take some pictures. I have been bitten on my knees 5 times now, The first 3 times were no problem, the healing was a little odd. but ok. the one before last was a pain and went a little crazy, but this one paralised me for a good few days~!

I'm sure has happened when Im working on the 110, As they are all on my knees! which is odd! so im sure it not indoors! and all are the day after I have been working on the 110 i notice them.

I have seen many an odd spider on the drive, and the drivegear of the 110. So its swim the 110 in a river i think.. to wash the buggers away! and test out my new steamcleaner with truck wash on the drive :)

There Is a lake in the park Opposite, but they were fairly sure its spider due to the hole in my leg. We do have a huge infestation of spider in Brighton. Ill try and capture some of the more novelty ones and take some pictures. I have been bitten on my knees 5 times now, The first 3 times were no problem, the healing was a little odd. but ok. the one before last was a pain and went a little crazy, but this one paralised me for a good few days~!

I'm sure has happened when Im working on the 110, As they are all on my knees! which is odd! so im sure it not indoors! and all are the day after I have been working on the 110 i notice them.

I have seen many an odd spider on the drive, and the drivegear of the 110. So its swim the 110 in a river i think.. to wash the buggers away! and test out my new steamcleaner with truck wash on the drive :)

IF they are that venomous maybe testing out a flame-thrower might be a better - and safer - idea!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I knew one old guy on Exmoor, always swore that the local scrumpy was the best detterent for Horse Flys. You drank about two gallons of the stuff and then when you sweated it out, the flys kept away. He normaly informed Grockles of this before offering to tell them where they could catch the Exmoor Sand Crab. :cool2:

Paul,

My other hobby happens to be entomology,

False widows are getting quite common in the south of England.

We have a few species that inhabit our garden, not as nasty as lace spiders or woodlouse spiders though!

Post some pics of said offending arachnid if you can, would be interesting to see which species you have.

As for killing them, some years ago we used to make the item as gas tight as possible, put a petri dish of potassium permanganate inside and add enough formaldehyde to cover (**do not try this at home**).

Creates a highly toxic gas to sterilise every nook and cranny, probably banned by elf & safety now though!

Paul,

My other hobby happens to be entomology,

False widows are getting quite common in the south of England.

We have a few species that inhabit our garden, not as nasty as lace spiders or woodlouse spiders though!

Post some pics of said offending arachnid if you can, would be interesting to see which species you have.

As for killing them, some years ago we used to make the item as gas tight as possible, put a petri dish of potassium permanganate inside and add enough formaldehyde to cover (**do not try this at home**).

Creates a highly toxic gas to sterilise every nook and cranny, probably banned by elf & safety now though!

Never even heard of those spiders. I live in Oxfordshire, have we got them here? Any pictures? In what way are they nasty? I presume the Woodlouse spider has some serious fangs to penetrate the shell?

Yep, you most likely have all species in Oxfordshire.

Woodlouse spiders have huge fangs and a nasty bite. Quite fast and aggressive too.

Bite takes weeks to heal (as my father knows only to well!).

2 pictures attached for interest, the black one on the bark is a female lace spider.

Second one on the wood spill is a male false widow.

Do not have a picture of a woodlouse spider at hand, loads come up on google though.

spider1.jpg

spider4.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

More men are frightened of spiders than women a survey said.My mate is one of them

at the wk end you will see all sorts of coloured spiders running out of his garage.Deep bronze green Sky blue 101.drab.signal red.silver.matt black.He normally attacks them with the first thing that comes to hand,this is usually an aerosoll paint can.:rofl: