Sherman Tank Gallery

Jack

I know it is not my genre but grand to see another piece of Canadian history kept in Canada.

Hats off to you Al for securing that.

By the way, your garage is easily big enough for it, you just to jack the whole thing up and add about 5 feet around the bottom.

R

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is an M4A2 76mm Wet HVSS variant of the Sherman. I purchased this last month and have a long term usage agreement with the Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa Ontario. My garage is big but definitely not Sherman size!

It was built in 1945 and is one of 300 purchased by the Canadian Government in 1946 for $1,400 each. They were used from 1946 to about 1972 until fully replaced by Centurions. I drove them while in the reserves with the Ontario Regiment.

It runs well but has a steering issue that is currently being sorted out. New tracks and other bits are waiting to go on.

Wow that's a fantastic purchase!!! Will you post a "restoration" thread on the forum to keep us updated?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

While on holiday in france last august I visited the Saumur tank museum (Well worth a visit if you get the chance).

I dont know what variant this sherman is, I am awaiting the delivery of the sherman book by R.P. Hunnicutt so will then read up about it.

Below the sherman is M10, Sexton and M3 Lee.

IMG_1416.22.jpg

IMG_1432.22.jpg

IMG_1427.22.jpg

IMG_1428.22.jpg

the picture of the 'sandbagged' Sherman is great ..seen various measures taken before to beef up the armour but that one takes the prize I reckon :)

PS: The Sherman at Utah Beach Museum (which I think is the same as one of those pictures outside the Saumur museum??) .what model Sherman is that ? Horizontal springs , big long gun , 'rounded' armour , wider tracks????????

the picture of the 'sandbagged' Sherman is great ..seen various measures taken before to beef up the armour but that one takes the prize I reckon :)

PS: The Sherman at Utah Beach Museum (which I think is the same as one of those pictures outside the Saumur museum??) .what model Sherman is that ? Horizontal springs , big long gun , 'rounded' armour , wider tracks????????

Sandbags also stopped small arms fire from bouncing around too I believe

The Saumur stuff is :-

M4

The M3 Lee is actually an M31 arv

M4A2

M4A1(76)HVSS

M4A1 (behind the M24)

M4A2

Would like to bring some additional infos :

M4 : very early M4(75) made by Pressed Steel Car in 1942, has Direct Vision and early bogies

M4A2 : the one without turret has been made by Federal Machine and Welder in February 1943. It is one of two existing Shermans confirmed as having been built by FMW, out of 540 ever produced.

M4A1(76) HVSS : made by Pressed Steel car, probably in 1945. Didn't ever served during WW2, has been given to France as part of the Mutual Defense Assistance Program in the 1950s and served in the French Army in the 1950s and 1960s.

M4A1 : late large hatches hull, had an AMX-13 turret (used for tests in the French army in order to use Sherman chassis with better main gun), AMX-13 turret removed and they put an early 75mm turret that doesn't fit with the hull (should have a 76mm turret and main gun).

M4A2 "Corse" : used as a test bed to equip Sherman tanks with the AMX-13 barrel in the 75mm turret, the design was later used on the M50 Super Sherman. Original WW2 tank used in the French 2d armored division, the markings belong to that tank, it is the original "Corse" that fought at Dompaire in September 1944. Built by Pullman Standard in 1943.

P-O

• 3 weeks later...

I think that the most common upgrade was to weld thin bars in olrder to put sandbags all around the tanks, this one is a perfect example of "extreme relooking" :

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i308/Praetorian4AD/M4Sherman14thArmored2.jpg

Few US army Shermans that fought in Europe are known with extra welded armor on them :

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/thread/1245621593/1245792528/How+were+the+extra+armour+plates+welded+in+a+M4A3E8-

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/usa/tanks-medium/m4-medium-tank-sherman/m4a1-medium-tank-sherman/m4a1-76-medium-tank-02.png

The extra protection against ammunitions was a fitting also seen in the Pacific, sometimes it was made of wood :

cometth3.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lenf695jbI1qesbnro1_1280.jpg

Quite often seen on British and Canadian tanks too, often seen with additional tracks put all around the tank :

fireflya138042-v6.jpg

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/tanks/shermanpics.jpg

P-O

shermanpics.jpg

Edited by the_shadock

• 2 weeks later...