What did your father/grandfathers do during the war/s

Jack

To distant relative killed in WW1 one i am sure is a first day of the Somme casualty, other Nov 1918

Both grand fathers Royal Navy (just managed to get certificate of service and gunnery history sheet for one of them serving from 12/10 1921 untill 2/9/1946. 46 seperate postings ships/land bases

Father Royal Engineers 1951/1976 to include service in Kenya,Bahrain,Both Christmas and Easter islands (Poland 1959 ??) Northern Ireland X2

Ashley

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My natural father (RIP) was a Sherman Crab flail commander with the 1st Lothian and Border Yeomanry, attached to 79th Armoured, and fought in northern europe from circa D-Day +2 right through to the end of hostilities. He had the honour of being the first tank ashore during the Walcheren invasion. If you see the period news photos of the Crab leaving the LCT, that was my father. His Crabs were named 'Meg Merrilies' from 1 through to 5....risky job i think. Unfortunately my father died when i was only 3 so i never had the opportunity to discuss his service with him, just photos, my mothers memories and research.

My late step-father was a naval man, the only time he talked about his war service was when something came on the telly that emotionally affected him. He served on destroyers with the arctic convoys and was a gunnery CPO on HMS King George V when she sunk the Bismarck. He actually cried when he gave brief details of that encounter.... it was crucial to sink her but the loss of lives was felt very deeply as both sides shared a common enemy...the sea!

Strange that i didn't end up in the military.

My natural father (RIP) was a Sherman Crab flail commander with the 1st Lothian and Border Yeomanry, attached to 79th Armoured, and fought in northern europe from circa D-Day +2 right through to the end of hostilities. He had the honour of being the first tank ashore during the Walcheren invasion. If you see the period news photos of the Crab leaving the LCT, that was my father. His Crabs were named 'Meg Merrilies' from 1 through to 5....risky job i think. Unfortunately my father died when i was only 3 so i never had the opportunity to discuss his service with him, just photos, my mothers memories and research.

My late step-father was a naval man, the only time he talked about his war service was when something came on the telly that emotionally affected him. He served on destroyers with the arctic convoys and was a gunnery CPO on HMS King George V when she sunk the Bismarck. He actually cried when he gave brief details of that encounter.... it was crucial to sink her but the loss of lives was felt very deeply as both sides shared a common enemy...the sea!

Strange that i didn't end up in the military.

Pugracer - do you have any pictures of your father coming of the LCT?

My family name is SUDUL with some different spellings, we are all from the area Hertford Shire,Essex, London and Middlesex.

These are all great great uncles in WW1

Frank Edward 1914-1920 Honourable Artillery Company 7485 Private, later Essex Regiment Second Lieutenant.

Harry 1914-1920 Border Regiment 28871 Private.

George 1914- 04 October 1917 Middlesex Regiment 3rd/10th Battalion 291317 Corporal.

He is buried in Cement House Cemetery and has his name on a plaque in Waterloo Station as prior to the war he was employed there as a clerk.

Arthur J 1914-1920 Royal Garrison Artillery 16432 Gunner.

My grandfathers were to young for the first world war and to old for the second world war, one served in the home guard ( mothers side) and RNVR (fathers side he was also with the ministry for war transport).

My father, Harry, 1521126, Gunner, enlisting in Yeovil on the 15th of November 1939. From his solders service and pay book and Diary he did his training with 131 Battery, 220 Regiment Training RA. From his 1940 Diary he is in 2nd Searchlight Regiment RA.

Embarked for France Friday the 15 of march 1940 from Hereford at 1130 at night.

Arrived Dover at 0900hrs next day, left 1530 for Boulogne went onto Campagre, arriving about 1900hrs.

The spelling of places in Europe are as I have decifed from my fathers Diary, so if you have the correct spelling of towns please let me know.

There is also 2 great uncles that went to Canada to do there flight training, returned to fight as pilots in the RAF, they then emigrated to Canada and started a Sudul clan over there.

Re Fathers Diary

17 March 1940

Went for a walk into Lyuines and got of with two french girls frenh inproving

18, On guard at night

19, Paid visit to Guinnes

20, Farewell party for the R.C.p? who handed the station over to us

21, On guard at night

22, Paid visit to Guines and meet an officer of the french army who had just returned from leave

23, Went to Calais in the afternoon paid a visit to the local cafes etc a somewhat dearer place than Guines

25, Getting ready to go out on ? each day seams different either working all day or doing absolutly nothing

26, On site about a mile from headquarters not a very good day for outdoors ? it rained most of the time on guard at night

27, Cleaning my remaining equipment on guard at night

28, My Birth where am I? in france someware quite good weather it snowed today

29, Out on detachment until 1200 when we received orders to pack up and clear the sight we recond to be moving soon into ? Octi---?

30, Out again cleaning a nissen hut from another unit it took all day, from 0930 until 180 at night and we had no dinner, We were supposed to be ready to move by 1630

31, Out again to clean up nissen hut sites,back by 1400 in order to go to Calais. I do not consider as a place of recreation or ammusment

1 April, Went to Calais to have a bath, Maintenance in the afternoon

2, Cooking fatigues in the morning cinema show in the afternoon, guard in the evening about the best guard I have done so far

3, Route march for 7 miles in drizziling rain most of the way

Rest of April Missing

Friday 10 May 1940 The war starts in France for us perhaps

11, Germany enters Holland and Belgium joins in with Lucsenborrg

14, Sent into Regiment to go to Intelligence looks permanent

15, end of 6 months service

20, Intelligence got sacked was sent back to 2nd Search Light Regiment

I would be appreciative if some one could give me the correct spellings of town names were required. there is more of the story to follow, as you can see the army hasn't changed much, you are either siting around doing nothing ore flat out.

Australia! How are the gum trees??? I'll try and keep note of this one for a visit to Cement House. I've driven past it more than once and keep meaning to stop. Grimmer (new to the forum) and I always enjoy a reason to snap a grave. IMS Cement Hse is en route to Langemarck. We'll be in Ypres sometime over the late autumn/xmas period for a bit of exploring. Grimmer is out there in a week doing a big WFA tour with a really superb guide (by all accounts)...lucky bugger. I had to pass.

George 1914- 04 October 1917 Middlesex Regiment 3rd/10th Battalion 291317 Corporal.

He is buried in Cement House Cemetery and has his name on a plaque in Waterloo Station as prior to the war he was employed there as a clerk.

Thanks for that Alien and Snapper, it all helps to fill in the story. the gum trees are fine and the kangaroos are numerous.

Dads Diary

Thursday 23rd of May

-?a-? with gerry wounded in back side

( From what he told his 3 sons the following happened) they were in a truck when ambushed and he bailed out opening fire with a bren gun and was shot, he was then left as dead with the rest becoming POWs. The French feed him on chocolate but he was to badly wounded. The wound it self was just above the left hip entering from the front and with a large exit wound at the rear.

Friday 24th Lay in ditch until -? day when taken prisoner taken to a French -? -? at St Onelet?

Sat 1 June

Have been in Hospital for a week and a day it is sheer agony though -----? I cannot sleep at night and have to lie in the same position all the time.

2, -? I did not sleep at -? nothing happened today of ----?

3, Today I wonder why I continued in such bad health and at last I was able to explain that I wanted some thing to do they are seeing to it

4, I lay on a stretcher out side today for an -?-? of the fellows are going today both with the english

7, Please God I can-? by- 1/6/40

9, I am get along each day ---? I suppose my wound is healing I cannot see it as it is in my back

13, Three weeks have passed since received the wound

16, Getting along nicely but it will take another three weeks I think to heal up

17, Nurse's birthday

20, I have know been wounded for a month but it is closing quite rapidly now

21, 1 month or 4 weeks in hospital

Dads Diary

Monday June the 24th 1940

Beginning of a another week have spent yesterday with her people who came up the day before to see her

25, Sergeant went to see his wife today started to make ?n gean'a house (model of)

26, getting on with model ( dad was an architectural model maker)

July 3 Finished Jeans house just in time for we thought she was leaving

7, Today I was transferred with the rest to another hospital in Belgium, Madame Gratte and Sergeant Gambier did not come but may follow, meet snowy as soon as I arrived

10, So far Madame Gratte and Sergeant Gambier have not turned up

11, My dressing was changed today by a Corporal (french) and he was surprisingly gentle

12, end of seventh week first week in Belgium

15, Completion of 9 months service

19, end of 8th week 2nd in Belgium

21, had a very good day as regards food

23, two calender months

26, 9 weeks

Friday 2nd of August 1940

Ten weeks and I am walking with the aid of crutches

3, Vera ? Birthday 21 (?)

30, 14 weeks in hospital-today the only news we received lately is that England has bombed Germany and Germany has done vies versus

September

6, 15 weeks

13, 16 weeks

November Friday the 8th

Arrived in Germany in Ruhr Valley

11, after 22 years and I am in a Prison camp of the Second Great war

20, Disinfected and put into better rooms Beds again

22, 26 weeks

23 6 months

December Sunday the 1st

In hospital at Lamischorf ? quite good here grub not bad

9, Just over a week here and Doctors removed another piece of ---? from my back today rather painful process

This is the end of his Diary

Some other notes

no 2 A.R.R.L.S. c/o A.P.M. 2 Corp B.E.F. France

Kriegsgefangenenposg

Prisoner-of- war-Post

? there are a lot of names and addresses of possible room mates should I include them

Dad in Stalag 9 ? Front left

Madame Jean Gratte ?

Dad was repatriated back to England in 1943 being discharged on the 21st of December 1943 at the Savoy Hotel Bournemouth

Dad died on the 16th of February 1980 aged 61 years, he died of Bone cancer partly due to the wounds sustained so long ago

He is not forgotten by his sons and daughter, Granddaughters and great grandsons

Lest we forget

Slalag 9 Dad.jpg

Jean 001.jpg

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Thanks for that Paul,my dad suffered similier experiences,lived rough in Tobrok after its capture .wounded one day after emerging from man hole cover.treated well by the italians,but only six stone when rescued from Germany.We dont know how lucky we are.cheers cw.

Held off doing this until now - don't know why really , just seemed right as it is three years since Dad died today .

Like so many other fathers , he never really talked about his war , just an odd bit here and there . So many times I asked him to write his stories down for me but time caught up with us and he never did . Don't know if he resented it or not but he was classified as being in a reserved occupation having trained as a carpenter and was sent to work in the shipyard at Rowhedge . His only military experience was in the local Home Guard . I know he did some part time work too - taxi driving for a firm at Mersea - and he spoke once or twice about being chased by the MP's when he either dropped a fare on one of the local airfields or was taking a short cut across it (not sure which now)! Later he was one of the many who worked on building the Mulberry harbours and he bemoaned the loss of his Ronson lighter into the concrete . After his funeral I also found out that he was sent to London to work on clearance after the Blitz - never once in my hearing did he speak of what he saw.

Mum had two brothers - one I know was in the Royal Signals but he died when I was quite young so I know nothing of his time . The second went from working in the Post Office and trained as a pilot , he flew a Halifax and was just about to transfer over to a Lancaster when he was shot down and , as we thought , killed over Germany .

A few years ago a proposal was made that a war memorial be erected in the village to all those who fell and a new member of the community , a keen historian , looked into all the local war dead, and visited each family first to research names and then later to tell them his findings. When he came to see mum he told us what he had discovered and that Clarence and his crew had not died when his plane was shot down - they came down in a reservoir and drowned. Somehow seemed to make it worse , stupid I know but .......

Edited by snowtracdave

• 1 month later...

Somwhere on this site i mentioned my dads experiences in WW2 and thought it was on this thread but cant see it so we must have something else running on the same type of subject, I have found a few snap shots he took at the end of the war when the flotilla ended up at Cuxhaven and were assigned the job of clearing mines and explosives in the waters around the area. In the photos you will see some captured E boats that were also used for this purpose along with mine sweepers, i remember the mention of employing some of the germans to assist in this job The photos show some of the motor launches, e boats and minesweepers

cheers

Les

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

hmvf3.jpg

hmvf4.jpg

hmvf5.jpg

hmvf6.jpg

hmvf7.jpg

hmvf8.jpg

hmvf9.jpg