Dumb question... K2 ambulances

v8 bubba

having read the dumb things you have been asked thread

i would like to ask you all about the austin k2 ambulance

in the film ice cold in alex

it clearly seems to be four wheel drive ?

But i have never seen one at a show or in a book they all seem to be two wheel drive

Can you give any info on this.

No such thing as a dumb question, only the amswers. This is a film classic question, if I remember the Katy was based on a Chevorlet 4x4 chassis. There were a number used including one with the side cut out to facilitate filming such as when Haliy Mill's carechter is shot. The other classic is the closing scene, just tucked up a side street, is a Series 1 Land Rover.

No such thing as a dumb question, only the amswers. There were a number used including one with the side cut out to facilitate filming such as when Haliy Mill's carechter is shot.
She would have been a bit young to depict a nursing sister, Hayley was born in 1946, film released in 1958. The actress was Diane Clare, the other Sister was Sylvia Sims.

So you think it may have been on a chevy chasis i seemed to think the

wheels looked bedford

talking of changing chasis there was another film called play dirty

with michal cane in

it was loosly a desert raider film set in ww2 using a jeep and a two german trucks thjat were by the looks dodges with a makeover a good film but only seen it once on the magic lantern

So you think it may have been on a chevy chasis i seemed to think the

wheels looked bedford

Hi Bubba,

The front axle was a CMP, Chev I think, as the engine did not appear to have been altered, I doubt the conversion went as far as changing the chassis, as all that was required was to locate a transfer box behind the gearbox. I understand that it was done because the film company were worried that vehicle would hold production up if it kept getting stuck. Also I seem to have in the back of my mind, two names of companies involved with film vehicles at the time, Bapty and Thornes and seem to think one of these were involved with the conversion. Wheels are the normal WD divided rim and are correct.

FWIW I found the book of Ice Cold In Alex for sale in one of the discount bookstores earlier this year.

So it's still in print. The film is quite faithful to the book, though it misses out a fair bit of story at the beginning. Personally I found the book explained the storyline better because I had time to assimilate the journey.

Surely nothing could compare with the amount of US vehicles that were dressed up as Wehrmacht in Guns of Navarone.

There is a Ford WOA2 in the beginning of the Guns of Navarone, but it's only seen for a few seconds.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...