Alvis Stalwart Mk1 Rebuild

madrat

Oh God! Just received a life changing bit of information in that my stolly offer was accepted! Thanks to Poptopshed and Grumpy for passing this one onto me, I promise to take good care of her :-D

Comments and input almost always appreciated :cool2:

stolly1.jpg

Duncan you are a nutter ! :-D You are obviously a worker !:bow::bow: Its good to see your enthusiasm for other peoples beyond repair projects ! If you attack this baby with the same gusto as your Pioneer I expect to see pictures of you and Mrs Madrat on honeymoon cruising the Loch's later this year ! :-D Did you see the tanks under the sea thread ! Don't get any ideas ! Seriously if you keep this up I can see bigger barn on the horizon ! Well done mate and keep inspiring me ! Andy !

Thanks for the input and encouragement, will be a while before it gets here and a while before anything is done on it but surely thats better than getting scrapped?!

Typical story of my life, I either have time but no money to work on these things or the opposite! The latter currently being the case :-D

I have seen one just like that,and in that condition being restored by someone at the moment.Its going to cost the best part of £20,000,by the time its finished.
:shocked: Did I mention it has a seized engine, seized gearbox and a load of missing parts?!

(Don't tell mrs madrat but she has a nice mustang that would go some of the way to repair this baby! She's off on holiday next week so PM me your best offer! :nono:)

I will bear that in mind when my militant/mini disapear see thread on Saladin!! and oh god help we havent even got an engine yet!!! I will be watching my stuff very carefully!!! lol, An idea for you Mr P paid 2K for a MK1 and put a diesel in it pics can be seen of it swimming on the stolly forum.yahoo .

(Don't tell mrs madrat but she has a nice mustang that would go some of the way to repair this baby! She's off on holiday next week so PM me your best offer! :nono:)[/size]

Is the Mustang a car or a Horse?

You still not tempted to part with your Pioneer now you've got another mission? :whistle:

Had a look at the other Pioneer at Montes the other week, and decided it was too much work to take on. Bought a different WWII wrecker instead.

Norman

There was a B81 , still crated, on evilbay recently - keep your eyes open and see what turns up. If you've not done so laready try joining the owners group over on Yahoo (http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/stolly/) and post some appeals there.

In a couple of months I'll have a few bits available - but mainly Mk 2 specific. If you think of anything you need which is genereic let me know and I'll see if I've got it....

Good luck with the project - it'll be nice to see another Mk1 on the road again. :):):)

Select Military Vehicles of Rossendale, Lancs are advertising B81's. 01706 211368.

May be easier to get it up and running with an original spec engine and look at changing it later.

Hard to beat the sound of a B81 and a good part of what makes a Stolly.

Is the Mustang a car or a Horse?

You still not tempted to part with your Pioneer now you've got another mission? :whistle:

Had a look at the other Pioneer at Montes the other week, and decided it was too much work to take on. Bought a different WWII wrecker instead.

I'm afraid its the car! Makes the pioneer steering feel rather direct and precise :-D

I may well sell the pioneer but I want to get it pretty much put back together rather than lose money by selling it as is. The main object was to save it from the scrap prices, I was initially looking for an explorer but got carried away! :n00b:

I hope that other pioneer finds a home, there are plenty good things about it but I guess its a bit overpriced for the work needed?! Did you get a WLF? (I keep getting that abbreviation mixed up with WTF which mrs madrat says is something completely different? :whistle:)

Select Military Vehicles of Rossendale, Lancs are advertising B81's. 01706 211368.

May be easier to get it up and running with an original spec engine and look at changing it later.

Hard to beat the sound of a B81 and a good part of what makes a Stolly.

Thanks for the lead on the B81's, if the website is to be believed they are very cheap!? I think the clutches that Trevor had on his one will be the first mod, the fuel I can cope with for now! The sound from the B81 is just superb :yay:

The scrap yard which my pioneer came from has two very decrepit stolly's that might yield some good spares before they get cut up, if anyone needs any bits then let me know!

Yesterday was a good day :-D the new toy is safety put away in a nice dry shed awaiting her makeover! Thanks to Poptopshed and Grumpy - Top Blokes!

I taken a load of pictures so that folks can see what Ive got ahead of me, I'm sure that better vehicles have been broken up and I'm also sure it wasn't a very sensible buy, however its a mk1 and I'm bonkers:banana:

I would welcome anyones comments or information. The Reg number is 24-EK-13 and the chassis number is STAL 70 if anyone has any info or pictures of this one I would be delighted to hear from them!

I'd also be interested to know if any of the following parts from a mk2 would fit this mk1

• Roof hatches
  • Tailgate
  • radiator grid thing in the bit at the back (Technical description)
  • Brake components
  • steering parts
  • wiring loom
  • battery isolator box thing
  • center wiper
  • gearbox
  • radiator

The good news is that she is safe and I can't find any holes in it, the bad news would be:

• Engine seized (Plugs out and water in the holes)
  • Gearbox seized (Linkage stuck in neutral, wheels locked up)
  • Swim parts missing
  • various bits stolen from her (Rear floor, tailgate)
  • Some parts of the wiring cut and removed
  • Accelerator, Brakes, Handbrake and Clutch don't do anything when pressed or pulled!

Anyway, on with the pictures!

st1.jpg

st11.jpg

st12.jpg

st14.jpg

st15.jpg

st16.jpg

st17.jpg

st2.jpg

What a nice shed you have!

Yeah its handy isn't it!? We figured that you could get over 50 scammells in :cool2:

I don't know if these have been cut up yet, but I can give you a phone number if you want?

If you don't mind please PM me the number, they look better than mine!

Yeah its handy isn't it!? We figured that you could get over 50 scammells in :cool2:

Are you sure about it being Scammells and not Camels ?:-D:rofl::rofl:

Still its one of the hardest things to find when you have large vehicles is secure indoor storage and that its reasonable close to home .

Looking foreward to seeing the progress of the Restoration process.

Was it this one that I saw on the M6 around Warrington on Thursday or Friday? I was hoping it was going to be saved, rather than on it's way to be cut up.

If it was yours-Good work!

This one did come from that part of the world although it was moved on Saturday so probably not the same one? Seems to be a lot of unloved ones about :cry:

Are you sure about it being Scammells and not Camels ?:-D:rofl::rofl:

I reckon that camels would be faster than Scammells? although the shed is better set up for camels!

Yep we stopped at Warrington services, so it stands a good chance it was us on the Saturday.

DSC00233.jpg

Great to meet Madrat and the Baron. :-D Top Blokes. Wonderful part of the world. I want your play ground.

Best bit is the Stolly is in safe hands and got dry storage for the first time in years.

Stolly enjoying the view of its new home.

DSC00236.jpg

We made it back fine, the tailgate never moved! :sweat:

Jon.