draganm

finally a Ferdinand #3

wasn't sure we would ever see another one, but KW collection states they have 40% of one, including this unmistakable piece

Ferdi front-top.jpg

• Like 1

Well based on what I've read, most of these were blown up after they broke down and  could not be recovered as German army retreated and tried to prevent enemy capture/repair/re-use of their AFV's.   Based on that

They probably have some of the wheels, running gear, chunks of shattered case-mate, maybe an 88mm-L71 cannon. The real trick will be, (even after you locate two  Maybach HL120 V12 engines),  finding the paired Siemens 500 watt generators and Electric drive motors.  The Copper scrap in them would have just been to valuable after the war .

Would love to hear one though, it must be quite a racket with all 24 cylinders going

I presume you took the 500W from Wiki, the generators were  actually rated at 500kW for the pair although the two 300 bhp  engines were not quite capable of maxing them out.

interesting. Do you have a source for this?

I'm struggling with 500KW  since even with today's electrical engineering advancements a 250Kw unit still takes up a small trailer.  The stuff i have from the 50's has absolutely huge electric motors that make very little power, as little as 1HP for something the  size of a 5 gallon  bucket . Conversely, I would expect their generators would also have been very inefficient

here's a towed 250kw unit today  , 20 foot long x 8 foot wide box

240-3311_3.jpg?itok=2uijUvx8

hard to imagine 2 of these in a Ferdi? and this just the engine+generator, not the final drive motor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XO48bt12qs

However the Wiki article on the power-pack does basically re-affirm?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VK_4501_(P)

merged respectively with a Siemens-Schuckert 500 kVA generator, generated the necessary electric power to operate each of the two Siemens 230 kW (312.7 PS) individual-output electric motors

Are there any electricians in the house ? :)

well some quick searches seem to confirm, i know it can't possibly be 230 watts, a trained cyclist can do that on a bicycle:) 

The motors are huge, look to be approx. to a 50 gallon drum

Ferdi.JPG

Ferdi drive rear.JPG

Porsche had experience on electric drive. The Austrian Hungarian Army had the M16 Generatorzugwagen C Zug where a tractor with an electric generator provided power to itself and the trailers to move great loads up small mountain roads or could travel on rails. He came from a electric company  first to Lohner and then to Austro Daimler. The Mercedes Mixte was his brainchild too.

Motorfahrer