chorehorse charging set MK1

guy66

Wind to collect a charging set MK1 and came home with some outer interesting bits! Always good to ask the seller if he has some outer British stuff !

IMG_1173.jpg

In this lot a gave also a 6v battery box and a leather WD tool box, next step will be to make the generator running, butt I still need the right Ampere meter for the set.

Guy

IMG_1171.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81993[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81995[/ATTACH]

In this lot a gave also a 6v battery box and a leather WD tool box, next step will be to make the generator running, butt I still need the right Ampere meter for the set.

Guy

Hi Guy,

That battery box is the seldom seen larger version that was used on the Airborne REME Electrical Repair trailers. I looked for one for a year before tracking it down in UK. You can see where it was used at:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27455-British-WWII-REME-Lightweight-Electrical-Repair-Trailer-Restoration-Project/page14

Post #131

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81993[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]81995[/ATTACH]

Guy

Hi Guy,

That battery box is the seldom seen larger version that was used on the Airborne REME Electrical Repair trailers. I looked for one for a year before tracking it down in UK. You can see where it was used at:

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27455-British-WWII-REME-Lightweight-Electrical-Repair-Trailer-Restoration-Project/page14

Post #131

I know that the battery box was something special as I follow the threads on HMVF, but it will be a nice combination wit my set 19

• 3 months later...

Hi Guy!

I can ask you some measures of frame guard?

In the picture you can see the letters of the measures I need.

I also need to know the diameter of the frame guard rod ..

Thanks in advance!

001123.jpg

The Fuel Tank is Aluminiun cast?

Edited by m606paz

091342.JPG

bougainville. 1945-04-27. Major general c.h. Simpson, signal officer in chief (3), inspecting chorehorse chargers at 3 division signals (aif), during his visit to south bougainville to inspect signal personnel and installations.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is different to the other ones that have been posted; I guess it's because it's the BSA version.

I've been told that it works, but haven't messed around with it yet. Now that I've downloaded the manual, I might give it a go on the weekend.

WP_20140119_003.jpg

WP_20140119_001.jpg

WP_20140119_005.jpg

• 2 years later...

AWM Collection

071118.JPG

KILIGIA, NEW GUINEA, 1944-03-12. NX4174 SIGNALMAN J. WALKER (1) AT HEADQUARTERS 5TH DIVISION SIGNALS, USING A 12 VOLT 300 WATT "JOHNSON CHORE HORSE", TO CHARGE BATTERIES IN THE FIELD.

071119.JPG

KILIGIA, NEW GUINEA, 1944-03-12. NX4174 SIGNALMAN J. WALKER (1); Q128304 SIGNALMAN J.P. BELL (2) AND QX52479 SIGNALMAN T.J. CROWLEY (3), MEMBERS OF HEADQUARTERS 5TH DIVISION SIGNALS, PICTURED CARRYING "JOHNSON CHORE HORSE" 12 VOLT 300 WATT CHARGING SETS, FOR USE BY THE WIRELESS DETACHMENT.

071120.JPG

KILIGIA, NEW GUINEA, 1944-03-12. THE "JOHNSON CHORE HORSE" 12 VOLT 300 WATT BATTERY CHARGING SET, VIEWED FROM A CLOSE DISTANCE.

HOBJ0139.JPG

Two unidentified signalmen operate a field wireless set during tactical training of the 3rd Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment (3RAR). They were taking part in amphibious training on uninhabited islands in the Inland Sea. 3919 Corporal (Cpl) J Gerrans is sending and receiving messages on a wireless transmitter and the man on the left is cleaning the sparkplug of a portable petrol generator. Note the rechargeable Exide battery attached to the transmitter (centre) and the antenna erected above their position.

Regards