Norton 16h Sidecar

thedawnpatrol

Hello Chaps

having finished my 16h i have decided that i need a side car outfit for it, that means i can drive/ride it on my car licence without the bother of getting a motorcycle licence.

question is, where am i going to find a suitable example, would any 1940's side car fit ? or does it have to be manufactured by Norton ?

all help gladly accepted.

here is a photo of what i'm trying to achieve.

RAF10095.jpg

16H043.jpg

I might very well be wrong but Watsonian built sidecars that i belive would be correct, did Norton actualy build sidecars themselves or ere thay supplyed by Watsonian, Dennis Heath motorcycles, fourth cross road Twickenham had loads of that stuff years ago and are still going.

The first picture you have posted is actually my 16H outfit. To my knowledge there was only one official side-car adopted by the War Office (apart from the SWD Big 4) It was the Swallow model 8 (like mine) It was fitted to BSA M20's and Norton 16H's mostly for the RAF. BSA used the Swallow chassis whereas Norton used their own chassis. There are pictures of more home made looking chairs used by the Home Guard. (I can post a picture of some if required). Ron

16H 164.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hi all,

Have a Norton 30's sidecarframe for sale, but is from 1933 I think?

No connector pieces, springs etc. only what's in the picture, sandblasted, and primed, has some rustpitting, 150 pounds, can bring end of the month to the UK.

120820111935.jpg

Cheers,

Lex

Not bad Lex. I paid £500 for my pre war Norton chassis that had to have some repairs and one new tube fitted. however It came with a rotten wheel and mudguard and most springs and fittings. Ron

16H 034.jpg

Hello Ron, hope you did not mind me posting a picture of yours, but it looks fantastic, as does your display !

ok, so thank you for the information, thats really helpful and will guide me.

best wishes

Julian.

Julian I've sent you a PM. Ron

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73465[/ATTACH]

Mrs M wants a chair on the Norton.....but I have my reservations........I mean, just look at what can happen....:-X....(Olive from "On The Buses" !!!)......

My dad had one of these and in about 1965 he buried it in our ( then ) back garden on canvey island., and put a rockery on top.! I bet it's still there !

• 2 months later...

Ron, I'm afraid that I'm guilty of glancing at one of the pictures of the Norton/Swallow combination and assuming it to have been taken in a museum setting - I didn't realise that it's owned privately. My apologies for my error. Rob T