British WWII REME Lightweight Electrical Repair Trailer: Restoration Project

cordenj

Evening Richard,

Do you have any thoughts on the difference in heights of these two MUREX trailers?

There look to have been built at similar time i.e. during WWII, but this new one has been adapted to be at least 6" higher.

Re: the Compressor trailer...."spark but no bang" about sums it up :-D

Evening Richard,

Do you have any thoughts on the difference in heights of these two MUREX trailers?

There look to have been built at similar time i.e. during WWII, but this new one has been adapted to be at least 6" higher.

Re: the Compressor trailer...."spark but no bang" about sums it up :-D

Hi John,

My thoughts are that the original low-line version was done as you say, for airborne reasons, and with a low centre of gravity would have handled better when towed I guess ....... but for practical reasons such as maintenance after the war, it may well have had the generator unit raised. Only way to find out would be to locate documents for this piece of equipment such as modification instruction. They would be in an EMER Eng. & Misc. I think. As REME Museum has recently moved, I don't know if they still have comprehensive library of EMER's from the distant past. What they might have, being one of their bits of kit, would be photos of them in use and that might give a timeline on when this was done. Another point, it might be from a different contract to your other Welding trailer?

regards, Richard

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone i' thought i'd revive this thread rather than start a new one to keep info in the same location for others.

I acquired the following Coventry Climax generator trailer a few months ago. I'm in New Zealand and the trailer has been part of the nz reme workshop at Linton army base going from the tac signs.

It has the same military lights and braided cabling as my 1963 landrover so i'm assuming its later production.

As i don't have the generator i'm wanting to make a canopy and canvas to match the electrical repair trailers and would appreciate it if someone can help me out with the measurements? particularly height of the hood bows from the bottom of the body.

The reme trailers are very rare here (i know of only one other in the country, last picture) and i only have two rims, does anyone know if there is any other vehicle that uses the same stud pattern? or perhaps have a spare they would be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance, the information in this thread has already been a huge help with the restoration process.

Cam

23961155_896944520480475_338220320_o.jpg

23897298_896944567147137_16313344_o.jpg

20171203_164812.jpg

20171203_164819.jpg

20171202_121156.jpg

20180126_013926.jpg

24020001_10155925441832265_2055523058_n.jpg

4 hours ago, Cam NZ said:

Hi everyone i' thought i'd revive this thread rather than start a new one to keep info in the same location for others.

I acquired the following Coventry Climax generator trailer a few months ago. I'm in New Zealand and the trailer has been part of the nz reme workshop at Linton army base going from the tac signs.

It has the same military lights and braided cabling as my 1963 landrover so i'm assuming its later production.

As i don't have the generator i'm wanting to make a canopy and canvas to match the electrical repair trailers and would appreciate it if someone can help me out with the measurements? particularly height of the hood bows from the bottom of the body.

The reme trailers are very rare here (i know of only one other in the country, last picture) and i only have two rims, does anyone know if there is any other vehicle that uses the same stud pattern? or perhaps have a spare they would be willing to part with?

Thanks in advance, the information in this thread has already been a huge help with the restoration process.

Cam

20171203_164812.jpg

20171203_164819.jpg

20171202_121156.jpg

20180126_013926.jpg

I broke one of those REME electrical repair trailers a few years ago & still have a few bits left including all the brass data plates if you need them ?

I like that TASKERS Andover (1932) plate, what trailer did that come off ?

Interesting in that the trailer appears to have a solid tray inbetween the side boxes. The Murex trailer is open underneath the engine - I do not know about the generator trailers.

As we appear to be updating this thread, John and I have decided to leave our Murex welding trailer as we purchased it apart from fitting two new tyres and a new exhaust. The reason for this is that it started on the second crank of the handle and works perfectly. We gave a demonstration last year at the Capel show and it was on view at Combined Ops. It seems a pity to mess about with it trying to turn it back to the airborne version.

I am still trying to get the compressor trailer running - the timing is perfect apparently but there seems to be no compression despite newly ground valves and seats, skimmed head and new head gasket. It makes one lose the will to live!

These Generator Trailers are very common in the UK and were the longest serving of the family hence the updated lighting.      Quite if all of these of trailer's were manufactured during the war I will leave to others.

The Coventry Climax Generators were a post-war fit and examples in original configuration are very rare.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2018 at 12:47 PM, Cam NZ said:

Cam

20180126_013926.jpg

Hi Cam,

I believe your trailer would have been converted to the Coventry Climax engined generator in late 40's/early 50's period, at that time (or during a further re-build) it would have had the later electrical wiring and fittings installed.

BUT, think the basic trailer and chassis is WWII manufacture.

Taskers had contract S9778 to build "Trailer, 10cwt 2wh Generator 6Kw". This contract was allocated the following 'X-numbers": 6263828 - 6264327, although I don't know how many generators were actually built of the 499 numbers allocated.

Regarding the Electrical Repair cover: my trailer is currently in storage and not easily measured. If you are going to have the cover made, you could make the bows to suit and then the cover to fit. The cover is held on with short leather straps that secure onto footman loops which are under the body.

Cheers

John

Edited by cordenj

On 25/01/2018 at 12:47 PM, Cam NZ said:

Cam

20171203_164812.jpg

20171203_164819.jpg

20171202_121156.jpg

20180126_013926.jpg

Last picture is an Orme Evans lightweight airborne trailer, very nice. Would love to have found that here, most are SS Cars (went on to be Jaguar)

im restoring one myself I found dumped at a local tip with snapped draw bar. Everything of the lower 9”  has had to be fully remanufactured!!

still looking for a lot of parts, especially the front hitch.

The following link finally shows that all these trailers were actually put to use by the airborne forces.

In it I think there is a binned stores trailer, machinery trailer, circular saw, generator and a compressor trailer but different to my one, plus a possible welding trailer out of shot. All pulled by jeeps. I think it is in Sicily - ignore the first minute or so.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060044244

There is another short film that can be accessed from this link as well

14 minutes ago, Tony Lawrence said:

The following link finally shows that all these trailers were actually put to use by the airborne forces.

In it I think there is a binned stores trailer, machinery trailer, circular saw, generator and a compressor trailer but different to my one, plus a possible welding trailer out of shot. All pulled by jeeps. I think it is in Sicily - ignore the first minute or so.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/1060044244

There is another short film that can be accessed from this link as well

Good to see the exactly same type of workbenches I made from scratch in use

5 hours ago, REME 245 said:

If this is 1943 these trailers were in service earlier than I thought.

Is their any evidence that these trailers were ever taken into combat?

I would have thought this was an exercise behind the front line - nobody appears to be fitted out for combat. As this appears to be Sicily or Middle East it still does not answer the question about use in Northern Europe but whether the paras used them in Palestine after the war?

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I’ve finally got around to restoring my binned stores trailer.

I’ve reconstructed the front draw bar with new C channel and original handbrake assembly, I’m going to weld it on and insert through bolts just to make sure it doesn’t break off :)

It might be a rolling trailer minus the binned stores by this Easter?? 

I don’t have a jeep anymore to tow it 😂

1712D250-F6A7-4194-88E0-4EA23772E5B4.jpeg

• 4 years later...