New acquisition

Degsy

Hi Degsy,

Think I've seen that Weasel before somewhere ;)

Nice to meet you yesterday. looks like you are going to get some enjoyment out that.

regards, Richard

Great to meet face to face after all this time, loaded up my daughter in law and two grandchildren for the first trip, didn't get very far, half threw a track but stopped in time :sweat:failed to get it back on single handed but succeeded later with expert assistance from my son.He had a good look at the evidence and pronounced it driver error:embarrassed:. now about to do 1,000 lines ......Must not drive over humps and turn at same time.

Great to meet face to face after all this time, loaded up my daughter in law and two grandchildren for the first trip, didn't get very far, half threw a track but stopped in time :sweat:failed to get it back on single handed but succeeded later with expert assistance from my son.He had a good look at the evidence and pronounced it driver error:embarrassed:. now about to do 1,000 lines ......Must not drive over humps and turn at same time.

Ah well, best to find these things out early on and when help is at hand ;)

I understand those replacement tracks have a habit of doing that.

Must admit that although I've done a fair bit of research I hadn't heard that, Rich (son) has decided that the cure is to extend the teeth on the track but we'll see how it goes and take a bit more care when driving it. It was a fairly extreme spot where I threw the track, steep downhill, turning through a gateway with a sideslope and a hump on the uphill side.

It compressed the springs on the centre road wheels and because of the peculiar angle allowed the rear of the track to slacken slightly, all it needed then was me to turn on the side slope for the track teeth to displace on the road wheels.

It is quite a common occurrence with tracked machines on site and I should have known better:embarrassed:

You're right that driving technique makes a difference but I understand that at a Tanks in Town a few years ago, there were a couple of Weasels on the off road course, one with original tracks and one with the new replacements. The new tracks were forever coming off in terrain that the original ones had no trouble with.

There are far too many variables to use this as anything other than an example of what can happen but when I read your report it made me wonder!

I'm going to sulk for a month now! You lucky...... just in time to enjoy in it's natural envoroment.

Bit of history on your new toy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Special_Service_Force

Hi Tony, I don't know so much about lucky, more down to working all hours and scrimping and saving for years. Thanks for the link.

Well done Degsy! And welcome aboard A&E - there are pictures of Weasels loading down at Weymouth/Portland for the invasion. I very much doubt Dorchester has seen one of these since D-Day.

Well as long as I don't fall off my perch beforehand.............:cry:

You're right that driving technique makes a difference but I understand that at a Tanks in Town a few years ago, there were a couple of Weasels on the off road course, one with original tracks and one with the new replacements. The new tracks were forever coming off in terrain that the original ones had no trouble with.

There are far too many variables to use this as anything other than an example of what can happen but when I read your report it made me wonder!

Appreciate any help and advice from you Adrian, obviously the rubber tracks are a completely different design from the originals and I am pretty sure that they were originally for use on a tracked dumper. It is going to be interesting finding the limits of it's abilities on these tracks and the farm is ideally suited in this respect because of the very varied and in many parts very severe terrain. Whilst obviously I don't want to damage the Weasel it has been bought to use not to be wrapped in cotton wool, if I break it I'll fix it.:-D

Edited by Degsy