Leyland Daf MMLC DROPS + Flatracks

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Foden built i belive only one recovery 8x6 drops type eka with an atlas behing the cab just found the pic It was mentioned befor that paccar would not STGO one ,, i beg to differ,, proof is in the pic, also i wonder why it has a trade plate in it,, em anu ideas,, and another nice foden recovery intresting pair, i did see the 8x4 a few years ago with a convoy going up the m6 it had 3 police cars in front 3 8x4 foden tractor units with 4 axle trailers two gs dafs 4ton then the recovery truck and then 1 police van followed by 3 police cars,,, nothing was able to get near all 3 lanes blocked all the way lv to know what was in the trailers nukes,,, cruise,, em

385013_2250497015573_1042665483_31994142_785810927_n.jpg

thcd3.jpg

Foden built i belive only one recovery 8x6 drops type eka with an atlas behing the cab just found the pic It was mentioned befor that paccar would not STGO one ,, i beg to differ,, proof is in the pic, also i wonder why it has a trade plate in it,, em anu ideas,,

It will have had STGO plate to enable it to ride about under CU regs as an overwidth recovery vehicle its gross train wt and axles will still be the same as when it left the factory. Note it will be running as a recovery vehicle not a ballast tractor. As for the trade plates when the picture was taken it was probably legal but nowadays the use of trade plates for recovery is forbidden.

The foden 8*4 was i believe up for sale a couple of years ago at Jacksons the rocket site Lincs. the last time i saw the nuclear convoy it was accompanied by an Iveco euro trekker with same recovery kit on it the gear i think is made by BRO or SWS

I get it with the stgo for recovery but still why trade plate army do not have tax so why? strange unless it was a trial. but it has an army inservice number. They could have tried it and put it back to a drops ,The gear is easy to fit.

May have been when it had come up for disposal and going to its new home.

I get it with the stgo for recovery but still why trade plate army do not have tax so why? strange unless it was a trial. but it has an army inservice number. They could have tried it and put it back to a drops ,The gear is easy to fit.

It is possibly the manufacturers of the recovery equipmnet, conducting trials. If the Foden was supplied to army as a DROPS, and subsequently taken off, this would mean the truck was converted for the trial. A civilian company would not be able to use it on Army plates, hence the trade plates.

This Foden drops wrecker was never adopted by the MOD and it always belonged to Foden/Paccar.

It was often seen out and about in the Sandbach area running on trade plates, it even attended the Astle Park Steam Rally on one occasion, driven by one of the factory test and development drivers. These would have been manufacturers trade plates used for the testing of vehicles.

I would agree it looks in service. Towing another in service truck. It may be as said before. It was a drops equipment took off and replaced by recovery kit. Then on trial maybe civi driver thus trade plates,, What ever it is it one heck of a truck looks mean.

On the recovery side it is lifting a hell of a weight. the rear walking beam means the rear load is spread but it must be over 7ton suspended.

Foden built i belive only one recovery 8x6 drops type eka with an atlas behing the cab just found the pic It was mentioned befor that paccar would not STGO one ,, i beg to differ,, proof is in the pic, also i wonder why it has a trade plate in it,, em anu ideas,,

I will try to clarify some of the issues raised so far. Around about 1996/97 a British Army Foden DROPS was handed over to EKA Ltd and stripped of all the Multilift DROPS kit, EKA then fitted a specialy designed recovery hamper known as EKALIFT 2500, this consisted of an upper extending boom rated at 12 tonnes, a low level extending boom rated at 6 tonnes, a hydraulic capstan winch rated at 25 tonnes and a 12.5 or 25 metre-tonne hydraulic folding crane. Also fitted to the front cab was a 10 tonne line pull hydraulic drum winch for self-recovery or other winching tasks.

The vehicle was then handed back to the army who conducted extensive trials in conjunction with EKA at Long Valley, Aldershot. EKA also extensivly marketed the system as it could be fitted to any similar sized truck and it was shown at the first DSEi at Chertsey in 1999, as far as I am aware none were ever sold(certainly not to the British Army).

At some point the vehicle was re-fitted with the DROPS kit and returned to the army, I have photos of the vehicle taken in 2001 at Ashchurch as a normal Foden IMMLC DROPS truck.

EKA2500-1.jpg

EKA2500-2.jpg

EKA2500-4.jpg

EKA2500.jpg

EKA2500-3.jpg

What fantastic inside info pictures i have seen the second one before it was in one of our trade magazines. under an advert for rotzler winches. To a piont though it has muddied the waters a little more as the one shown by stolly has a different reg no but many thanks for posting. Also i believe the so called under lift is similar to that fitted to the modern MAN recovery vehicles and the US Oshkosh trucks although why its called an under lift i dont know cause it can do no such thing

Edited by cosrec

no it has got stabilizer legs and they are are deployed in on of the pictures although i doubt not to full extension which is bad practice. No it it is an inherant fault that all recovery vehilcles are designed to overcome but this one hasnt made the grade

little clue look at front wheels i guess this picture was taken same time as when it had 8 wheeler hooked up MT with extention pieces added to make it easier to lift. I would risk a new pair of steel toe capped boots under front wheels.

No bogie blocking system fitted ;)

Is the "Donaldson reactor" still used on recovery vehicles to overcome this problem?

That third photo is great - two of my most favourite MVs in the same photo! Intersting that the Unipower has an STGO plate on it as well. I am sure you're right that photo 3 and the last photo are the same place and time.

Think I'd better go and lie down for a bit!

Would it have been fitted with the system from a eka faden to stop the rear walking beam twisting under the rear load. yes the front is quite light by the looks. Also for a heavy recover truck it is quite a short wheel base.

What you describe is Bogie blocking, used on Scammell EKA and Foden EKA. Hydraulic actuating rams push down on the rear axle, thus putting more weight forward. In order to give it an element of shock absorbtion, a hydraulic accumulator is included in the pipework, charged with nitrogen.

The rear bogie is not a "walking beam" design, that is one axle with gearcases pivoting on either end.

Edited by Richard Farrant