My first Landrover Restoration.

airportable

Spent rather a lot of hours very carefully rewiring. Now have sorted all the engine functions, most of the cable's routed and secured, just need drivers side wing refitted to complete. Screen washer, two speed heater fan, fuel gauges. Managed to get the cold start lamp working.

It has been a very steep learning curve. Testing circuits, importance of earths and just how dodgy old switches can be. I'm finding I have had to just replace them with new where pos. Struggled to get the heater working correct/intermitent. Fitted a NOS switch, problem solved. Fuel gauge intermitent, prob. those two little fuel tap switches. Compared to again NOS the springs were very week/corroded contacts. Fitted new switches prob. again solved.

Yet more parts.

Four panel bulbs,£4.40

Set ignition leads, Ign.switch (that was playing up as well) panel light switch,temp sender, hose clips/hose and a good used choke cable. £28.20

Sat. Fuel sender,horn and two fuel tap switches, £44.40.

Electrical Bits (4).JPG

Electrical Bits (3).JPG

Electrical Bits (8).JPG

Electrical Bits (12).jpg

Restoration-electrics (2).JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well all sorts of bits and pieces sorted and fitted. All the electrics now sorted and working, temp gauges move up and the fuel gauge down! Lighting started, but starting with the indicators yesterday, flasher unit looks 'dodgy':-(

Drivers wing refitted and cableing all clipped in situ.

Decided to 'unskin' the doors (they were new, but the vehicle had stood so long started to rot) Was quite a easy job when door latches out and rivits drilled. The alloy had grown to the steel frame, so a job worth doing with rust killer and plenty of paint. Channel's will be filled with ANKOR wax when sprayed. One door fitted. Vent panel rot cut out and replaced, stripped and primed, refitted. Today sorted the wiper motor assy's, cleaned and refitted. What a job that was, plugged in the multi pin connector, it all worked fine (did test before refitting)

More paint £25

Loctite rust treatment, few bulbs, fuses £6

Bulbs, few elec. connectors £3.40

2012_0212Smokey0001.JPG

Restoration (3).JPG

Restoration (8).JPG

wiper motor.JPG

wiper motor (4).JPG

Thanks folks, any one else had a restoration where it is your mission in life!!?? Done a hour or so tonight instead of getting tea,...again.

Not sure if mine is one but I do like to come home and spent an hour or so doing a few bits. Kind of helps me unwind.

Yours is coming along quite nicely

Mike

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Very sorry I've not been keeping you all up to date, what with dreadful weather spring wise and job.

So try to catch up now.

Now stripped down both doors, cleaned up and refitted. One door top stripped, cleaned and reglazed. windscreen on and half reglazed.

All wings/front light assy/ steering relay panels/underwing panels fitted.

90% of the wiring now all completed after a few probs. with the various relays, lucky I had one or two spare. All lights fitted and working (except the headlights being rebuilt at the mo.) All the loom clipped into place and routed to be tidy.

The very cheep new fuel tank that had a faulty neck I cut out and resoldered (high melt) spare filler neck I had. Job worked a treat. Tank refitted. The last pic. shows me fitting a lenght of pipe lagging with the loom passing through before I inserted into the top of the bulkhead as recommended here, did same on the other side. 22mm lag was spot on for a tight fit.

Add a few pics now.

Restoration (14).JPG

Restoration - Copy.JPG

Restoration (8) - Copy.JPG

Restoration (22).JPG

Restoration (25).JPG

You may gather from these next few pics. most of the project is Traffic White. To be honect I was unsure wether it would look right. Yes it does! Finished satin by the recommendation of the paint supplier, I had never sprayed a vehicle before, the first spray gun a mate picked up for me think about £12 during the top coat ended up kicking it accross the garden. Very lucky there is a farm shop up the road and they had a good quality gun in stock for I think about £40, what a diffrence. You know what they say!! Will find the pics. later of the now white Landi. One more coat needed after more parts fitted.

Today found the other door top is US :cry:. More parts. (need to dig out last parts bills :-( )

Last pic. shows piece of high density foam packed between the heater and bulkhead.

Restoration (28).JPG

Restoration (18).JPG

Restoration (19).JPG

Restoration (20).JPG

Restoration (21).JPG

Restoration (24).JPG

Stroke of luck I have had is I had forgotten I had complete sets of the head light assys etc! Did take rather a lot of carefull stripping down so no parts were damaged, finished last set today, but need to make up three clip/clamp assy. as old were missing, beyond salvage.

Also lucky a great mate turned up with a few glass lense to complete the set, looks great with them fitted.

Few more pics.

Electrical (2).JPG

Electrical.JPG

Electrical (4).JPG

Paint job (8).JPG

Paint job (9).JPG

Paint job (22).JPG

• 1 month later...

Sorry not been updating as much as I had been. The project is now nearing completion with a pos. MOT date second week of Aug. I have really been strugling against the weather etc. which as set me back at least a month. A final coat of paint was given last weekend. Most of the parts have been refitted with just seats (hope to pick up on Mon.) Seat belts, well I hope that is it then. I will let a chap have it for a day to track, set headlights and set carb. etc. Will dig out the last few reciepts in the next few weeks and add a few more pics. (posted a update couple of weeks back but failed somehow)

My Land Rover (5).JPG

My Land Rover (8).JPG

My Land Rover (4).JPG

My Land Rover.JPG

As it was last weekend. I have struggled to find a few 'bits' to complete on the on line auction sites, fact, if 'lightweight' is mentioned they seem to rocket. So I have turned to having a go and fabricating my self. Really pleased with the results. Pics to follow. I dare not add up the cost, as mentioned in a early post I love my Airportables, single and work for min. wage. So dont be put off if you want a go. BUT the project as cost me in time and my spare cash!

Nearly there (2).JPG

Nearly there (14).JPG

Nearly there (10).JPG

Nearly there (12).JPG

Edited by airportable
Gramma

Looking very nice, wouldn't mind one of these as a project, but swmbo has put a cap on our toy collection for now :cry:. Maybe nest year:whistle:

Picked up the seats last Monday, now fitted I realise the middle seat is needed as it just does not look right. Will sort later after Mot as a third seat belt will be needed as well. I'm rather pleased with them (Ex. trim)

Seat belts all fitted a treat. Door 'stops' which I mentioned I fabricated the tubes.

Re-torqued all axle/springs/mountings bolts/nuts.

Spare wheel fittings sorted and fitted. Few more pics.

Swop directional tyres drivers side. £18.20

5Lt. BS285 (Just ran short cup full!) 5Lt thinners £35

Seats. £108.26

Tail gate tool straps £36! (Yep, could have saved there, but now just want finished and made enough)

Various bulbs, fuses and elec. fittings. £8.60

Know I have three other reciepts for parts need to find.

Restoration.JPG

Nearly there (19).JPG

Nearly there.JPG

The reason being for the UN white (RAL 9016, Satin) was the chap (first owner on log book) bought the Landi. off a local Ex. Mil. vehicle dealer many years ago. It was in UN colours with a UN stenciled on the doors. Was told it was one of a batch from Greenland?

As mentioned in early posts was undicided what colour to paint, but as I found traces of the white everywhere decided to return to 'as found' Saves sending the log book off as well!

Tool straps now fitted.

• 3 months later...

I really must update when pics. sorted. Very pleased to say I completed the rebuild ready for the MOT and tax from the 1st Sept. I took the vehicle to a local chap who has a small buisness and own's a AirPortable to set lights, emissions etc. He took the Landi for the MOT and it passed!! without a prob. Went for a spin the next day, taking small journey's, home for checks etc. Have now done 400Km with Her with just a tweek of the timing and the brake light switch which has been a pain. To be honest it runs rather well, having to watch the speed a bit. Had 65MPH with out even trying!!!!! But must mark the clock off 30-40 mph. Pic. taken on Sunday during longest trip so far.

2012_1111Smokey0005 - Copy.JPG

• 2 months later...

Someone mentioned white for snow! Pic. taken at the weekend in the snow.

A problem or two cropped up during the last couple of weeks.

1. Brake lights not working.... Fault pedal switch, because all brake system new, the free play with the pedal is not great. Adjustment of the switch was critical. Now sorted.

2. Headlight failure...just as I got home in the dark :shocked:....Fault I/R switch, new old stock one. Was prepared, instructions and double male lucar connector behind the switch panel in a poly bag. Job sorted in 5min.

Other than that, at mo. no other little niggles.

2013_0118Militaria0035 - Copy.JPG

2013_0118Militaria0062 - Copy.JPG

Someone mentioned white for snow! Pic. taken at the weekend in the snow.

A problem or two cropped up during the last couple of weeks.

1. Brake lights not working.... Fault pedal switch, because all brake system new, the free play with the pedal is not great. Adjustment of the switch was critical. Now sorted.

2. Headlight failure...just as I got home in the dark :shocked:....Fault I/R switch, new old stock one. Was prepared, instructions and double male lucar connector behind the switch panel in a poly bag. Job sorted in 5min.

Other than that, at mo. no other little niggles.

Are my eyes decieving me or is that 58 webbing floating all by itself...............i'll get my coat

• 2 years later...

Well, after much deep thought I had no option but to sell this Landi back in June.

It went to a very good friend who had watched its restoration and had asked for first refusal if I sold Her. Within a few weeks it attended War and Peace with over 1000 miles clocked up in a very short time, glad to say it did my mate proud except for a new 'to fit' starter motor (I passed on to Him the old genuine Lucas one, which was rebuilt and replaced the dire inport one). Since I sold its apeared all over the country usually towing a matching UN Sankey and clocking up more miles and being enjoyed more than I could ever have done.