Major collection AUCTION

Jack

All seems a bit of a damp squib and I don't see much point putting these to auction with high reserves. At the end of the day I just don't think the market is that big. Remember this isn't really a private collection going under the hammer but a dealer trying to get rid of their stock all in one go. These vehicles have nearly all been for sale (in some cases for years) on the Select website so not sure where they thought all the buyers would suddenly appear from...

I'd have thought that if they went to the trouble of setting up the auction to pull in some cash that the reserves would have been set significantly below the previous retail prices. Seems it probably wasn't the case.

I don't think the fact that the auction items were spread over four different locations (albeit within a 20 mile radius) helped much either. Wonder if there'll be more success (bargains) with the spares auction later in the year or same story again?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the auction yesterday and was staggered at the prices achieved. I only stayed for the first 42 lots and out of those only 6 didn't meet reserve. £10000 for a Lightweight Land Rover, £14000 for an Austin Champ, £2100 for a Condor m/cycle which were previously advertised for £1350? Willys M38 £11175, .50 cal Browning £1760, 1990 Land Rover 90 diesel rag-top £6139, Sankey trailers £385-£440, MG Midget £4400.........

Out of 172 lots only 32 were subject to VAT

• 2 weeks later...

I was there for the whole auction and have every price achieved noted on my catalogue. Aprox 135 0f the 180 lots sold on the day. The Sexton went to £75k but did not sell, the Chieftain Gun Tank went to £23k but also did not sell !

The most impressive thing to me was that a Champ sold for more than any of the Jeeps in the sale At a total price of £14250.

My old Champ KRJ 422E which I bought in a derelict condition in 1980 (the first motor vehicle I ever owned) for £125 sold for a total of £8800, Last year it was sold in a Withams tender to B & E Boys for £5500 + vat including the Brockhouse trailer that sold seperately for £450.