Colour photos of the US Army in Tunisia

LarryH57

I found these photos in Life magazine archive and have posted them as they show US Army vehicles in Tunisia in WW2 painted sand which is a surprise to me as I thought all US Army vehicles that landed following 'Operation Torch' in Nov 1942 were painted olive drab and got their camouflage from the dust they picked up on the way.

Another surprise was that the vehicles registrations on the vehicles in the attached photos are painted in english and arabic - which is some thing I though only the British 8th Army did with vehicles that started out from Egypt.

Sand Coloured US Army Jeep -1.jpg

Sand Coloured US Army Jeep.jpg

Sand coloured Dodge Weapons Carrier.jpg

The formation sign has the GHQ Middle East Command Camel on it and the yellow/blue? background -being horizontal am not sure with those colours but if they were diagonal then ®ASC logistics etc, which would make sense re jerricans etc. Probably some spurious donkey walloper unit.

Gary

Some great pictures and thanks very much for taking the effort to share.

The Dodge Ambulance in Desert paint scheme is so rare and the Weapons Carrier and Jeeps showing the star in a Blue circle, much the same as they painted on the early B-17's and C-47's in the ETO and MTO is fascinating.

..... the Weapons Carrier and Jeeps showing the star in a Blue circle, much the same as they painted on the early B-17's and C-47's in the ETO and MTO is fascinating.

The orignal of the " star in a blue circle " had a red meatball in the centre of it, but it was ordered deleted to prevent confusion with the rising sun emblem of Japan in the Pacific theatre. It is possible that the very earliest vehicles shipped to the UK had the full insignia.

Early Armoured divisions inside the US used a reversed version I think, red outside, white star, blue ball in the middle - anyone have a decent illustration?

Gordon

How about re-enacting this one - what better excuse for smashing up all that expensive German kit at W&P. If it's OK to have an up turned Jeep in a shell hole at W&P its OK to do the same to Axis vehicles!!

By the way these vehicles are probably still there in use - but no one has thought of going there to find out:laugh::laugh:

Axis vehicles..jpg

Edited by LarryH57

And another of the same but a bit closer. The Dodge appears to have the blue & white star on the hood though it is covered in dust. Austin K3 on the left I think but what about the car?

My first thoughts as to the identity of the car was that it maybe was an Austin16, but on reflection it seems 'too big' with the windows lower in height in comparison to the body.

Nice big RAF type air identification roundel on top of the truck.

Yes, blue and white star on both the jeep and the Dodge