Armour & Embarkation - The Tanks Are Coming!

A&E - as tough as this is going to be in this current financial depression we are going for it. A big ask I know but feel the fear and do it anyway.

So what has this to do with HMVF? Well I am going to put this event along with The Pathfinder Magazine and HMVF all under one umbrella. Which will be called Pathfinder Media Group. And in this group will be HMVF, This will enable me to manage, update and maintain them all as they will be under one roof. So I am going to have built a portfolio site that has all three websites on it.

So if you type in The Pathfinder Magazine, A&E or HMVF it will bring you to the same page - you will then see all three projects and you can then click on the one you want to visit. This will make sure that all visitors to any of the sites get to see everything else that we do. It may be an extra click for HMVFers but most have it book marked anyhow - it is the new people we need. Nothing will change with the forum at all - it will just be the redirect.

So with regards to the event it will not be under the HMVF banner – it will be under the Pathfinder Media Group banner. There are several sound reason for this. One being that for us to put this event on we have to be insured up to the hilt – HMVF has no legal status as where Pathfinder Media Group will do. HMVF is the jewel in the crown for me and if anything was to go wrong HMVF would not be directly in the firing line – so it is safe.

I/we/HMVF will not have access to grants or loans as do people who belong to the MVT and IMPS and so on. So this all going have to be funded by sponsorships and this is down to myself and the team. So to gain sponsorship then potential sponsorships will want to see some form of legal body, be it a trust, a business or a charity. So again by forming Pathfinder Media Group we can work to that.

This event is going to be one of kind. We intend to get at least 12 WW11 tanks there – this has never been done here before and it is without doubt going to be historical. Also halftracks and other armoured vehicles along with heavy US and British soft skins and wreckers.

The media will be involved in this from the start and I am in talks with the BBC as we speak. We will also have a DVD made.

This is going to be you chance to be involved and experience something so unique that you will want to be there. To experience a line of tanks driving through country lanes and then into Dorchester town is going to be a one off chance of a lifetime. The soft skins will be filled with as many reenactors or folks as we can carry. We are wanting to get the Dorset Tourist board involved so that we can get as many folks out to see us as possible.

Our campsite is well positioned and we will have loos and we will have showers! Hoorah!

So now for the, perhaps controversial bit…we are going to be a small charge of just £15 to everyone who would like to attend, be it an mv owner, re-enactor or foot soldier. Before you go nuts and for transparency I will explain why.

The team and I discussed this all day yesterday and looked at the event from all angles. As I said earlier it is my opinion it will become the way forward for all events like this. I am happy to lead the way on this, take the flak (if there is any) and get all of that out of the way.

We have not got access to loans or grants – yes we could go to the National Lottery but that too has to be match funded and many hoops to crawl through. For this movement to always be exciting and moving forward we have to always be doing things differently – or trying too. Events like these have their place in our hobby and I for one (along with many others) have enjoyed events put on by the Stevens brothers and their teams – we need more of them. Not everyone enjoys sitting in a field and some want their fun from driving and ‘action’ weekends – these sorts of events are it.

This is not a money making operation so please do not think that. But I will not get involved with this if we lose money – we can not afford to do that. The team will be putting hundreds if not thousands of hours in to this all free and out of their own time – things will be sacrificed. So with this in mind this is how we are moving forward. I know full well as many others do and will appreciate if you start to lose money then at least two things will happen, guaranteed 1) you cut corners which means the experience will not be what it should for us all 2) it won't happen again. No one will be bothered to put all of the blood sweat and tears into something that causes them pain, grief and bankruptcy.

The £15 pound will also go towards the showers and a breakfast every morning from the Friday until the Sunday. It is important that we make this event one hell of an experience. Yes it may stop some folks from coming out of principle and we would be sorry if that happens but please do not allow this to stop you from being part of something special.

I hope this meets with your approval and look forward to your feedback.

Jack.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the other closed thread..

So is the event is open to Axis groups too :confused:

Lee - thanks for picking that up and will make this less a grey area when the site is done.

We are sharing the weekend with the guys at Maiden Newton at War - http://maidennewtonatwar.co.uk/default.aspx

Last time they had groups - allied and Axis and they will again this year and that is their area. We have had groups and individuals who would didn't go to MNatW because the didn't fit or weren't invited but would like to be a part of our weekend so that works for us and we want that.

So axis would not work for us but would work for MNatW and they have that sorted from the previous event.

Does that answer that?

Cheers.

JB

£15.00! Right, I'm not going!

Only kidding!:-D With facilities and food provided it sounds a bargain.

Great stuff Adrian - what flavour Pot Noodle do you like.......:coffee:

Armout & Embarkation - The Tanks Are Coming!

So now for the, perhaps controversial bit…we are going to be a small charge of just £15 to everyone who would like to attend, be it an mv owner, re-enactor or foot soldier. Before you go nuts and for transparency I will explain why.

£15:00 no problems(if the custard creams are free :-D)

Ashley

P.S. can i have discount if i use the shower/loo in me caravan ??????

Ashley

P.S. can i have discount if i use the shower/loo in me caravan ??????

Doh - forgot to say that it is your loo and shower that we will be using.....I thought I told you that?!:coffee:

Doh! Now sorted so that it is readable!

Also I had a PM last night from Degsy - asking if he could bring his tractor. I tried to explain to him that it was Armour and Embarkation and NOT Farmer and Embarkation!!:sweat:

Why do I bother..........

Doh! Now sorted so that it is readable!

Also I had a PM last night from Degsy - asking if he could bring his tractor. I tried to explain to him that it was Armour and Embarkation and NOT Farmer and Embarkation!!:sweat:

Why do I bother..........

Jack,

If it's 'Armour and Embarkation' does this mean no Jeeps?

Chris

Jack,

If it's 'Armour and Embarkation' does this mean no Jeeps?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes jeeps welcome and all British and US WW11 vehicles! Before the 'Yanks' arrived in Dorchester it was full of our own men - it was the home of the Dorsetshire regiment.

Just let me clarify that a bit more. We have no problems with any vehicle attending. Yes it is pre D-Day and yes puritan's could say you can't have this in the line up i.e a Chaffee or a Hellcat as they are post D-Day but it goes back to my point about FUN and keeping everything alive. And the fact that none of us were there for D-Day either... so that augment is a mute point.

We just have to be mindful that we do not have too many jeeps as we all saw in Normandy - it loses its impact.