Sherman Tank Gallery

Jack

very interesting thread this one...:-)

.having looked at all the photos and read the posts I'd like to ask what the Sherman was generally like 'off road'?

Basically you are correct on all counts. The original T51 flat rubber is pretty hopeless in slimy mud and tanks fitted with this were supplied with grousers to fit on to improve traction. Later tracks either came with rubber grousers moulded in or were steel in a number of designs. These also had the advantage of saving rubber.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's hanging free in that photo, its normal position being hard against the lower plate. It hinges to allow maintenance and clips up under the upper rear plate. You can see the brackets on the plate and the deflector.

Later M4A4 also has a similar deflector and the brackets used to keep it up for work are used as the upper mounts for the long rear bin on British Sherman Vs. I assume it was felt stowage was more important than keeping the dust down!

Here is mine on the way home last week....lots of work ahead

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58365[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]58364[/ATTACH]

Blimey they keep cropping up don't they. Is that the one parked behind the M4A2 on milweb?

All the very best of luck with it. I'm a tad jealous.

Richard

I have been collecting bits for it for some time, this one came from a US Army firing range and it is one of two we were lucky enough to acquire, it came with a good set of steel tracks and a turret. It is am M4A3 and has the remains of a badly shot up GAA engine still in the engine bay. What we did not get was any gun parts, barrel or mantlet. so as always if anyone can lend a hand tracking down any parts it would be greatly appreciated. I hope to call on Adrian B's crazy fab skills for tanks and turret basket when the time comes! I will post pictures of the M4A3E2 Jumbo we also purchased from the same collector, who would probably not want me posting his name on here for privacy sake.

This is M4A3E2 Assault tank #77 or "Jumbo" as it has become affectionately known. One of only 250 or so ever produced.

texas stuff 409.jpg

texas stuff 360.jpg

texas stuff 365.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Second from the bottom is a nice shot, Argentinian Fireflies, by the look of it a digital photo from the last few years, I wonder if any will come on to the market? JS had one for sale a couple of years ago on his web site, perhaps that is an indication that they have already been scrapped...

Third from top is also good, Germany in 1945 I presume, you don't see huge numbers of photos with M4A3E8's in them (on the left, front to camera). Does anyone know when they first arrived in Europe for service with the US Army?

Edited by ajmac

The Argentinians, are Sherman Repotenciado, Gualeguaychú, Entre Ríos Province.

" the late 1940's, Argentina bought nearly 450 M4 Sherman's from Belgium in many british variants, over 250 of them were the Firefly version, with the long barrel 17pdr gun.In the late 1970's, the Argentinian Army needed to modernize their armoured units. The TAM project was under way, but the border crisis with Chile required an urgent reinforcement until the TAM was operational and the Army ordered the modernization of 250 Shermans, mainly the Firefly version then in service. This program included a new engine and a new armament. Many versions of M4 in the argentinian service were used, and the Repotenciado (Lit; Upgraded) was born. Most of the Sherman Repotenciado are the british Sherman Hybrid Firefly IC, but it`s not the only version. The principal advantage in using the Firefly was the easy adaptation of the internal configuration to the new 105mm ammunition storage.

The modifications included the french Poyaud 520 diesel engine, french made 105 mm cannon, built under license in Fábricaciones Militares Río Tercero, and other minor improvements. These included a rear modification of the turret, with a counterweight for the new longer and heavier gun, four smoke grenade launcher, storage baskets and new positions for radio antennas. In the hull, the modifications was more extensive, the engine compartment was redesigned for the new Poyaud 520 diesel engine, the suspension was revised and upgraded, and the tracks are rebuilt. This project begun in 1976 and finished in 1978, just in time to be deployed during the border crisis with Chile, in december of that year.

A total of 252 Shermans in many versions are upgraded to 'Sherman Repotenciado' standard and the last vehicles stayed in service until 1994, when all the TAM VC medium tank were completely active in the I and II Brigadas Blindadas (1st and 2nd Armoured Brigades). Even now, in 2002, a few (12?) 'Sherman Repotenciado' are still in service for support roles with the URDAN mine roller.

Five 'Sherman Repotenciado' were transfered to Paraguay in the mid 80's."

http://www.jedsite.info/tanks-sierra/sierra/sherman-repotenciado_series/sherep-series.html

they are cracking looking:laugh:

..so.......any ideas whats happened to them ?...

Has Argentina and Paraguay now scrapped them?.....or are they waiting patiently somewhere in a musty depot to be rescued?....As you've said.....a lot have been modified well away from WW2 spec but...If I had the loot?..

..Well I'd grab one in an instant ! :D

Many are serviving as gate guards, check out http://www.massimocorner.com/afv/Surviving_Shermans_Repotenciado.pdf

Cracking link :-D many thanks ! I can see a few of those getting bought in the years to come...either way ...it's better they sit about parks for kids to clamber over than they get dumped on a range and blown to pieces...

Edited by RattlesnakeBob

They are all still sitting in exactly the same position, they still belong to the army reserves, and supposedly they all still run. They have not scrapped any of the original 450, they are all still there somewhere, but what they did do was start to break some as they ran out of parts, the one JS had advertised on his website is still sitting in exactly the same position it was then, In Argentina! oh and to the chap who was talking about 'having the loot', well you dont need to worry about buying it, what you need to think about is the backhanders you need to pay to get it out, especially into the UK!

IMG_19521.jpg

Here is an M4A2 76mm Wet HVSS variant of the Sherman. I purchased this last month and have a long term usage agreement with the Ontario Regiment Museum in Oshawa Ontario. My garage is big but definitely not Sherman size!

It was built in 1945 and is one of 300 purchased by the Canadian Government in 1946 for $1,400 each. They were used from 1946 to about 1972 until fully replaced by Centurions. I drove them while in the reserves with the Ontario Regiment.

It runs well but has a steering issue that is currently being sorted out. New tracks and other bits are waiting to go on.

DSC011831.jpg