Petrol Price

woa2

I have just driven past my local Petrol station, and they have just lowered the price of Petrol from 100.9 to 99.9. They were always the cheapest around, and now it's going DOWN in price. Is this a start of a price war? Has anyone else noticed Petrol going DOWN in price?

Nope - not around here but they have got you by the goolies really. Emails circulate about boycotting a particular supplier but it never works.

Me, I only do around 500 - 600 miles a year in the Ferret so what the heck. Smiles per mile it's worth it.

There was an item on the news last night.Asda have apparently dropped prices in response to lower oil prices.Whether the others will follow remains to be seen.

Trouble is, the Government then ups the duties and taxes!

I recall many years ago a representative of one of the oil producing countries was defending their huge increase (so probably '70's) by saying that what they charged was only a fraction of what our government added in tax!

M

You know what - I need someone to follow. In the sense that if some radical got the momentum to solve this problem then I would be right behind them. For some reason this just doesn't happen.

In Dorchester this morning petrol was 102.9 (it is always .9 something - never .1) and diesel was 103.9 ....thought diesel was always higher because of the associated health risks..........

thought diesel was always higher because of the associated health risks..........

There is supposed to have been a shortage of "quality diesel making" crude oil this last year or so, hence price went from lower than petrol to higher than. But who knows really.....

There is supposed to have been a shortage of "quality diesel making" crude oil this last year or so, hence price went from lower than petrol to higher than. But who knows really.....

Years ago diesel was cheaper as no one used it. Then everyone went over to diesel then strangely someone 'discovered' that the diesel exhaust had larger particles in it which was bad for health..........

Years ago diesel was cheaper as no one used it. Then everyone went over to diesel then strangely ..........

Which might explain why there is a shortage of diesel?

Each source of crude is different, and to get more of one fraction from one source means you would end up overproducing the other grades (like 28 sec kerosene or 3500 sec heavy). It must be a nightmare meeting demand for each grade!!

If diesel is "the Big health/environmental Satan" then why aren't those big ships being forced to get filters and taxed out of existence.

They burn huge amounts at sea and in port.

Rotterdam, biggest port, wind coming from the soutwest, blowing into the country.

Tax the ships? Hell no, economical disaster.

So they ^$%$# the carowners... rant over.

Which might explain why there is a shortage of diesel?

Each source of crude is different, and to get more of one fraction from one source means you would end up overproducing the other grades (like 28 sec kerosene or 3500 sec heavy). It must be a nightmare meeting demand for each grade!!

N.O.S. - tell me, is this why WW11 vehicles were petrol because it was easier to make the diesel - or was the first part of the refining?

In Colchester area diesel varies between 104.9 and 107.9 . A couple of weeks back it was up to 1.10 then we suddenly had parity at all the local stations - even Tesco - when they were charging exactly the same per litre for petrol and diesel but it has gone back down a little now. Don't tend to read the petrol price too much as I don't have anything petrol fuelled on the road at the moment .

N.O.S. - tell me, is this why WW11 vehicles were petrol because it was easier to make the diesel - or was the first part of the refining?

I think it was because most US vehicles used petrol engines before the war. Better to stick to what you have / used to.

Tesco dropped their prices here today. Historically diesel prices have always been cheaper than petrol as diesel is cheaper to produce but the industries latest excuses for the price differential are world demand and lack of diesel refining capacity.

The oil companies claim that countries such as India and China are still increasing their demand for fuel although most countries consumption has dropped. Another reason for high prices is that when property speculators caught a cold about a hundred of them moved into fuel speculating and in a matter of days made obscene amounts of money,this of course set a trend. The government could, of course, stop this but high prices suit them because of tax and VAT income. Industry experts forecast that prices will rise steadily in the future but I think they could rise quite sharply as the world recovers from the recession and demand increases.

N.O.S. - tell me, is this why WW11 vehicles were petrol because it was easier to make than diesel - or was the first part of the refining?

:sweat:I've only picked up bits and pieces from relatives/friends in the oil industry, Jack - my knowlege is very limited! :sweat:

I guess that petrol refining capacity was much greater worldwide, as diesels were still making inroads into the marketplace and so most transport was still petrol engined. Also petrol engines must have been much cheaper to mass produce for the war effort.

So given that refineries were orientated towards producing petrol, the diesel fraction would have simply been retained in the heavy oil grades instead of being refined out as a seperate product. Also, not all crude is suitable for diesel refining.

WW2 diesels - I can only think of the Gardner 6LW in the Scammell Pioneer and the GM diesels in one Sherman variant - pretty much everything else was petrol wasn't it?

The Germans were experimenting with diesel aircraft engines I believe.

I was led to believe that British policy post WW2 was to standardise on just one grade of fuel (petrol) primarily to make battlefield supply logistics much simpler.

WW2 diesels - I can only think of the Gardner 6LW in the Scammell Pioneer and the GM diesels in one Sherman variant - pretty much everything else was petrol wasn't it?

What about Mack, AEC, Albion, Leyland ? Logistically, it must have been a problem as there would not have been a high percentage of diesel use, in British vehicles at least.

The Americans used Mack, White, Autocar, Federal and Reo 10 ton 6x4 trucks also the Diamond T tank transporter all fitted with diesels. The British Army used 6ton Foden's, ERF's and Maudslay's fitted with the Gardner 4LW and Dennis's(Dennis engine). In the 10 ton class Albion's, Leyland's and Foden's (Gardner engine) were used as well as American supplied Macks, White and Federal and of course the DT tank transporters. The Matador and its 6x6 derivatives were also diesel as was the MkV11 Thorneycroft Amazon crane.

What about Mack, AEC, Albion, Leyland ? Logistically, it must have been a problem as there would not have been a high percentage of diesel use, in British vehicles at least.

How could I have forgotten the Matadors? :embarrassed: :thanx: (and the Diamond T!!)

Up here in sunny fife

Diesel Prices

Cupar Tesco 102.9

Glenrothes Asda 99.9p

Morrrisons 99.9p

Shell 101.9

BP 104.9

There seems to be a" guess the price" because they go up and down in a daily basis ,

not even on a tanker delivery just random up and down .

But will always remember last year 135.9 at Tescos for diesel , was nearly £300 to fill the patrol, van , and car .

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...
You know what - I need someone to follow. In the sense that if some radical got the momentum to solve this problem then I would be right behind them. For some reason this just doesn't happen.

Unfortunately staging protests, such as the 2000 Petrol Protest, will only get you in legal deep doo doo, i.e. motorway go slows, and blockading refineries. The government then argues that the taxes are going into projects for the public, such as schools, hospitals and making things greener, and if you are protesting, then you are an individual with a self interest, and not representative of the majority, anyway the oil companies are to blame if the global price of oil goes up, and that has nothing to do with Government control etc.

How you come up with a credible stand, that doesnt break the plethora of laws or make you look like a greedy self centered destroyer of the environment, is a tough one.