WW1 Tank

Willyslancs

Found this pic of a ww1 tank in Talbot Square outside Yatess, (now burned down) it was in 1918 , asking for donations ,I believe many towns had "Tank Banks" .

Anyone got anymore of the one in Blackpool? Rumour has it , its buried under the crazy golf course in the town :-(

1918.jpg

hi , i knew about the trenches , because my dad has been interested in old blackpool pics etc for many years , he has some postcards of it. Talbot square is right next to the town hall here. ....There is no sign of where the trenches are now i believe . my dad knows where they were ,he only told me about them the other month......

did you live here mate?

My Grandmother had a bungalow at Little Singleton and I used to spend quite long periods there until I was about 16 or 17. Used to help with the boats on Blackpool beach (just to get a ride in the converted Bren Carriers or 4x4 trucks). We were banned off every shooting gallery 'cos we used to adjust the rifle sights then club all our winning tickets together to get the one big usually unobtainable prize which we then sold. Always used to pray for heavy rain mid afternoon, eveybody rushed off the beach leaving all sorts of valuables behind including money. In those days a deposit was charged on deck chair hire refundable on return, we made a small fortune for a while until they got wise to us and refused to pay up....... collect your own chairs then and hope the tide gets 'em. Happy days.

my mates grandad owned the trucks on the beach (long gone now )prefer st annes beach my self, esp early evening when tourists gone and huey flying round ......my mate does metal detecting on blackpool beach , the things he has found under the piers has paid for his last top of the range detector. he s found loads of ammo( ww2)coins , rings etc .

My dads got a very nice ww2 us dog tag which was found on here too, will post a pic next time i see it

my mates grandad owned the trucks on the beach (long gone now )prefer st annes beach my self, esp early evening when tourists gone and huey flying round ......my mate does metal detecting on blackpool beach , the things he has found under the piers has paid for his last top of the range detector. he s found loads of ammo( ww2)coins , rings etc .

My dads got a very nice ww2 us dog tag which was found on here too, will post a pic next time i see it

Fleetwood pier burned down in the fifties, my Dad took me down there and we were collecting money in buckets from underneath the remains, there had been a sort of bowling alley target game which cost half a crown (12.5p) which was a small fortune to me in those days as well as lots of penny and sixpence machines.

Fleetwood pier burned down in the fifties, my Dad took me down there and we were collecting money in buckets from underneath the remains, there had been a sort of bowling alley target game which cost half a crown (12.5p) which was a small fortune to me in those days as well as lots of penny and sixpence machines.

It suffered a major fire in September last year and has since been demolished.

Oh yes and beer bottles, if we were really skint used to sneak round the back of the pub and lift a crate full of empties,worked ok till it dawned on them where all the empties were coming from. :-D

And they think delinquent youth is a new phenomonen! :cool2:

When I got the Gipsy, one of my favourite tricks was to sit on la Haule slip. If you went straight down onto beach and swung left fine hard sand, Swing right you sunk. Hire Cars in Jersey are not allowed on the beach, one , you commit a criminal offence for which you can get fined, Two the hire company will cancel the agreement and take the car back there and then. Both facts clearly marked on aggrement. I would wait till a hire car parked on the slip and then go onto the beach to turn round. 99 % would swing right. I'd then offer, for the huge sum of £5, about 15 gallons of petrol, to pull them out. Following the explitives I'd point out the clauses on the hire contract. £15 a week was a good wage at the time. At the height of the season I'd earn £20 a week!. :n00b:

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...