FWD Model B Gallery

I just found out that most FWD's and Quadss were returned to the US at the end of WW 1

Where did you hear that from? That contradicts my understanding that most of the US ones being sold off at European auctions. I always like to hear different views though as it improves my knowledge of the whole subject. The British owned ones were of course disposed of in the UK.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed it, in the middle of traffic lights in Brighton! Took us half an hour of swinging to get it going again!

On that front, can anyone suggest what alteration I make to the carb to improve hot starting? It really is a pain with this green petrol.

Too true! :-D

Steve

there was a thread about how the high octane of current fuels makes for engine problems in the very early vehicles heres the thread

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?11948-Bad-timing&highlight=lower+octane+fuel

Thanks for the reminder. I have just read through it again and we did seem to nail it, more or less, except for the fuel vapourisation problem. The lorry runs now but will not hot start. It has to sit and cool for half an hour before it will fire. It has been suggested that I increase the diameter of the low speed jet so I will try it but I should still be pleased to have any more advice on the subject.

Steve

Where did you hear that from? That contradicts my understanding that most of the US ones being sold off at European auctions. I always like to hear different views though as it improves my knowledge of the whole subject. The British owned ones were of course disposed of in the UK.

This is acording to the book on WW 1 US vehicles from the US by Albert Mroz. This partains to trucks brought over by the US Army and not the ones sold to France and England among other nations. That might also explain the French carburator and intake manifold on our FWD. I do have an other bomshell inthe works rdegarding armored cars, but before I stick my neck out I shall do some more diging.

Albert has released two new books i believe. American cars, trucks and motorcycles of WW1 and American military vehicles of WW1. I very much enjoyed his Encylopedia of US trucks. I think i will take a visit to Amazon in a moment.

I found at least one mistake in the otherwise exelent book. He wrongly identified the armored car as a White but it is a Jeffry Quad in New Mexico.

I ordered mine on Amazon. It should be here next week.

It must be very hard to write a book on a subject that no one has really touched on before in any depth and for which there is very little reference material to refer to so i expect that we will probably find a few more mistakes. However, mistaking an armoured Jeffery for a White is a bit of an unfortunate error.

• 3 months later...