How many times do you read the same book?

The idea that you do only read a book no more than three times was mentioned a little while ago. I scoffed at this, but then when i got home and thought about it some more i realised that it might be true. I have hundreds and hundreds of books which i love, but then i dont think that i have sat down and read many of them cover to cover more than once. True, i have many reference books (like Barts MV Observer series, or books by Fred Crismon) which i dip into frequently, but i dont sit down and read them cover to cover.

So my question is, what books have you read cover to cover more than three times?

The problem may be increased affluence. When i only had a few MV books i would quite frequently sit down and read them, so probably my best read book would be "Panzer colours" which i got when I was about 12.

Tim (too)

Well, in the non military list are, Jonathan Livingstone Seagull, and others by Richard Bach; The Pop Larkin Chronicles, by H.E Bates, and The Modern Antiquarian by Julian Cope. :)

On Military titles, certainly Normandy To The Baltic by Monty, The Black Bull by Patrick Delaforce and Taurus Pursuant, history of 11th Armoured Div. are but three I reguarly re-read. :)

Having said the above, book (military)I have read most often has to be Ken Smalls The Forgotten Dead.

Andy

and me :yay:

Mark :cool:

Actually thats weird. I have reread all the pratchet books many a time, so thats that theory quashed.

What i thinking of was the non fiction ones - so for example a few off my bookshelf beside me Peter Bartons "The Somme",The GMC a Universal Truck, "Heaven and Hell", "Dying for St Lo", "Spearheading D_day" "Americans in Brittany" "Red Devils in Normandy", "Gold, Juno, Sword". All superb and brilliant books, but i have only read them once. Not enough hours in the day i suppose.

Tim (too)

and me :yay:

Mark :cool:

Add me to that list too!! Arch-Chancedllor Ridcully Rules (literally) at UU!!

Also read all Clive Cusslers works more times than I care to recall.

Non-fiction - I've alo punished "The Quiet Soldier" a goodly few times as well The Alvis Saracen" with it's asided on Stalwarts and Salamanders. Other than that Oracle tech manuals get a good hammering too - I have a liking for relational databases.... :):)

Sven Hassell a superb collection always read over and over again.:-D

Definitely a great read, although I think it's almost 30 years since I last read them! I might dust them off tomorrow and start again!

Jules

Sven Hassell a superb collection always read over and over again.:-D

Excellent series of books, my dad had the full collection, and i read them when i was a kid! we were asked to bring a book into school that we were reading at the time, i was about 13-14 and took in O.G.P.U. Prison, the teacher thought i had just grabbed it off the bookshelf and was amazed when i gave him a detailed account of the book and most of the previous novels leading up to it, but then i had also read alot of Isaac Asimov by that point.

Enid Blyton's famous five vs Sven Hassell's "Wheels of Terror" it was no contest!

Have you tried "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer (I think thats how it ws spelt). It's the true story of a Franco-German who joined the German Army - IIRC the Grosse Deutchland division - and fought on the Eastern front.

The ISBN number is:

ISBN-13: 978-1857971453

if you look for it on Amazon.

My fav is the Lord of the Rings, when I think of it, the only book I've read twice and listened to twice so that makes four times!

Did you go see the three films as well?? If so you will be pleased to note that The Hobbit is due out in 2011!!! I want to see how they create Smaug! :)

And as an aside - the guy who actually "played" Gollum for the screen shots & CGI in LoTR stores his bus about two bays down from my OT at Gt Yeldham!

Good question Tim!

For me it has to be:Oliver Rackham- History of The Countryside. Mind blowing...!

The Power of Focus, one of those life changing books. Have read it more than the proof reader!!!!!! And has been passed around all my chums and is out with one now.

Out of Town - Jack Hargreaves

Currahee- Don Burgett.

Did you go see the three films as well?? If so you will be pleased to note that The Hobbit is due out in 2011!!! I want to see how they create Smaug! :)

And as an aside - the guy who actually "played" Gollum for the screen shots & CGI in LoTR stores his bus about two bays down from my OT at Gt Yeldham!

Yeah can't wait to see them too but am a bit afraid of what they will have done to the story...

Amazing how small the world is!

My fav iseparator.gifs the Lord of the Rings, when I think of it, the only book I've read twice and listened to twice so that makes four times!

My wife presented me with a copy of this great work 37 years ago, printed on paper so fine that all three books are bound in one embossed hard back only 1" thick, with the full size maps folded inside. A thing of beauty and a joy forever. I have only read this book once, but I have read a tatty old paperback copy many times.

My wife presented me with a copy of this great work 37 years ago, printed on paper so fine that all three books are bound in one embossed hard back only 1" thick, with the full size maps folded inside. A thing of beauty and a joy forever. I have only read this book once, but I have read a tatty old paperback copy many times.

Same here - I had a copy that went wherever I did in the bottom of the bergen - a not unfamiliar complaint from the SSM when in barracks was "What the f**** are you doing reading the bl**dy book again!!" He hated Tolkien for some reason.... :-(