Dorman Engines.

Swill1952xs

Nothing whatsoever to do with Military vehicles, but just because I love interesting engines.

I went to a the old Lloyds TSB offices at Durrington today to pump out what was supposed to be 9,000 gallons of gas oil from a disused storage tank. When we got there we found out the gauge had stuck and the tank was virtually empty so all we got was 3,900 litres.

While we were there I found out they had some pretty impressive generators tucked away in another building. Armed with a camera today; I decided that a photo session would be a good idea.

The following photos don't really convey how big they are, but each generator weighs about 6.5 tonnes. Height to the top of the radiator is about eight feet.

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

The blue engine is turbo'd and intercooled. the buff coloured one is just turbo'd and believed to produce about 600hp at 1500rpm. The oil and water are constantly heated as they start automatically when required.

The hours on the buff one is 1522 and the blue one has done 3200 hrs. lovely bits of kit.

These are due to be removed soon. Not sure why though as the building is being partially demolished for a refurbish?

Nothing whatsoever to do with Military vehicles, but just because I love interesting engines.

I went to a the old Lloyds TSB offices at Durrington today to pump out what was supposed to be 9,000 gallons of gas oil from a disused storage tank. When we got there we found out the gauge had stuck and the tank was virtually empty so all we got was 3,900 litres.

While we were there I found out they had some pretty impressive generators tucked away in another building. Armed with a camera today; I decided that a photo session would be a good idea.

The following photos don't really convey how big they are, but each generator weighs about 6.5 tonnes. Height to the top of the radiator is about eight feet.

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

The blue engine is turbo'd and intercooled. the buff coloured one is just turbo'd and believed to produce about 600hp at 1500rpm. The oil and water are constantly heated as they start automatically when required.

The hours on the buff one is 1522 and the blue one has done 3200 hrs. lovely bits of kit.

These are due to be removed soon. Not sure why though as the building is being partially demolished for a refurbish?

The blue one produces 600 KVA which becomes 480KW when multiplied by the power factor. As a rough rule of thumb it takes just under 2hp to generate 1kw, so the engine power is in the region of 940bhp running at 1500rpm to give 50cycles/sec.:coffee:

Coincidentally I was offered a job at Auto Diesels as a sales engineer back in 1972.

The blue one produces 600 KVA which becomes 480KW when multiplied by the power factor. As a rough rule of thumb it takes just under 2hp to generate 1kw, so the engine power is in the region of 940bhp running at 1500rpm to give 50cycles/sec.:coffee:

Coincidentally I was offered a job at Auto Diesels as a sales engineer back in 1972.

Sounds like they missed out then. Thanks for the reply. I assumed the blue engine would be somewhat more powerful as it was intercooled. I would have liked to have heard it running, but the electrics are being disabled and there isn't anyone tecnical enough on site to operate them.

I was surprised the buff coloured engine was "Only" 600hp. I would have thought it would have been at least 700. :)

Very interesting, thanks. My dad worked for Auto Diesels all his civilian life (after 12 years in the Navy) and I often visited the factory on Saturday mornings with him and was fascinated by the machinery they were using and the range of generators (mostly) that they made. Everything from super-silenced Enfield opposed twin diesels for film sets to the big standby sets like you showed. The most exciting to me were the no-break sets that used a motor/alternator with a giant flywheel and ready to run engines. when the main supply failed, the motor/alternator/flywheel was clutched to the engine - which instantly burst into life.

It was one of this type of Dorman VEEs that threw a rod and then broke up big time while on soak test. The fitter running the test was between the cylinder banks when it went! He was uninjured but, as I recall, it took a while to calm him down.

Another of their interesting products was a portable gas turbine ( the design was licenced from Standard, I think) whose compressor air was bled off to air-start aircraft engines - stunningly noisy. Thes sets weren't without their problems - the turbine hubs, which were shrunk onto the main shaft, sometimes worked their way off. Testing was done in very strong concrete cells!

If any of you have connectins with Auto Diesels or know anyone who does, Dad would be pleased to hear about it.

Sounds like they missed out then. Thanks for the reply. I assumed the blue engine would be somewhat more powerful as it was intercooled. I would have liked to have heard it running, but the electrics are being disabled and there isn't anyone tecnical enough on site to operate them.

I was surprised the buff coloured engine was "Only" 600hp. I would have thought it would have been at least 700. :)

Dorman 12QT would usually drive a 500KVA or so genset, so as before it could be about 750bhp, but may have been downrated for a smaller output.

Edited by radiomike7

When I was at work the UK data centre had either one of these or something that was almost a dead ringer for the power-backup.

Alas not very successful as the one time it was needed in extremis - it blew up!!! Some bright spark routed a water main over the primary power bar in the data centre which of course leaked. Automated switch gear kicked in as soon as the mains power was cut followed by a god-almighty great bang!!! Gave me a few days peace and quiet!! :):):)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Great stuff mate,Dorman was a popular engine in fishing boats years ago,We took one out of a 50ft Admaralty MFV,and fitted a Gardner 8.Sadly the boats not moved for the last ten years,the boat was one of the Shetland buses used to ferry agents to Norway.i did my day skipper course on it.The boat owners drive me mad.This boat had a fortune spent on it,did three training courses then The Grand Turk took over

and that was it.Have pics if any one interested sadly none of engine though.

Great stuff mate,Dorman was a popular engine in fishing boats years ago,We took one out of a 50ft Admaralty MFV,and fitted a Gardner 8.Sadly the boats not moved for the last ten years,the boat was one of the Shetland buses used to ferry agents to Norway.i did my day skipper course on it.The boat owners drive me mad.This boat had a fortune spent on it,did three training courses then The Grand Turk took over

and that was it.Have pics if any one interested sadly none of engine though.

I Googled the engine type number and came up with several fitted to generators. A bit further on there was an installation of two of them in a car ferry. From memory it was 196 feet long, about 40' wide and could carry sixty cars. I would have thought that a ship of that size would have had bigger engines than that though. Just goes to show how little I know about anything really. :)

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

You would be surprised how small some are one of the Gosport Ferries only has an old Gardner 6lw in it.

Dorman engines were also used post WW1 to replace the worn out ones in ex army trucks. We have this one to go into the Peerless. it came out of an old WW2 British ammunition dump and was used to pump water in the sprinkler system.

DSCN0011-1.jpg

It is in very nice condition.

Tim (too)

Dorman engines were also used post WW1 to replace the worn out ones in ex army trucks. We have this one to go into the Peerless. it came out of an old WW2 British ammunition dump and was used to pump water in the sprinkler system.

DSCN0011-1.jpg

It is in very nice condition.

Tim (too)

I assume that is a four cylinder engine. What horsepower would that have been. It would look great fully restored. :)