BAOR convoy

Rick W

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)
Thanks for that Richard, I suspected Opel but wasn't sure enough to post, at first glance it looks a bit like the old Humber Super Snipe.

Thats whot i thought.:-D

This is made just up the road from me by a company called Aardvark Clear Mine, its a JSFU (Joint Service Flail Unit) Mk 4. Looks alot more useful than the bog chain Caterpillar!

This is their own description:

The Aardvark flail has proven extremely useful in post conflict clearance. It has been involved in operations for the United Nations and has operated in commercial clearance jobs in various countries around the world. Aardvark machines have recently been used by the British, Canadian and French forces in Bosnia, by humanitarian mine clearance agencies in Angola and Mozambique, and for a millennium mine clearance project in the Jordan Valley. Following a worldwide bid and trials, the Mk4 was chosen as the preferred vehicle to clear landmines in the demilitarised zone between North and South Korea. It is also being operated in Afghanistan as the preferred mechanical clearance system for the American Forces. Over 220 Aardvarks have been purchased by and/or used in 26 different countries. Customers include the armies of the UK, USA, Canada, France, Norway, Italy, Sweden, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Pakistan, Mozambique, Iran, Libya, Ireland, and Korea.

ppe4b0c4c8.png

Just found this bit, pretty impressive, better than manually prodding the ground with a spike to find a mine, infact it would make an excellent piece of gardening equipment! :-

Aardvark landmine clearance machines which will not only clear the mines, but will also clear surface scrub and vegetation up to 3 metres high, trees with a trunk diameter of 15 centimetres, and booby traps and trip wires. Trees and vegetation are reduced to a mulch leaving a level clear area which can easily be checked by sifters or hand teams if required, and quickly recultivated.

To be effective, anti-tank and anti-personnel mines are laid just below ground level, but wind, rain and floods may move or bury these mines to a greater depth, and thus it is essential that mechanical clearance machines are capable of varying their clearance depth. All Aardvark machines are capable of this. A new operator’s computerised control system allows the depth to be set, and the vehicle then automatically travels at the correct speed to maintain that depth. The slower the forward speed the greater the depth to which the flail can dig, up to a maximum of 580 millimetres.

To ensure maximum percentage clearance, every piece of ground covered by an Aardvark machine is struck at least twice with a force of approximately 4 tons, and an automatic contouring device ensures that the flail is in contact with the ground at all times.