stencils

paul connor

Question

:-( why, Oh why arn't british vehicle stencil kits, (easily) available :? :?

I restore British wartime vehicles, predomintly and use computor cut vinyl stencils. They are low tack so no worry about lifting the paint on removal. Only trouble is you can only use them once, but do achieve a good job. Any company doing vinyl signs can do this, providing they have the stencil vinyl.

You will, of course, have to give them all the information and sizes of what you require. My pet hate, is vinyl lettering on older vehicles, this way it costs little more to do, only a quick spray over the stencil.

Richard

Its not, (so much) the lettering thats a problem, more Div signs.

I'm thinking 11th Armoured here, black bull, with red horns,nose and feet on a yellow background.

Andy,

I did that one on my BSA many years ago, also 79th Armd Div, bull's head. It would be easier nowadays with scanners, find a good picture of the 11th Armd. sign and enlarge it, if it is blured, redraw over it, then make a card stencil, lay card over the yellow square on your vehicle, draw around with a pencil, then paint in with an artists brush, the horns, hooves etc can be added in afterwards. These signs would have been hand apinted, often by the unit's signwriter.

It is quite satisfying to do these signs as they finish off a restoration, along with census numbers.

Richard

[its not, (so much) the lettering thats a problem, more Div signs.

I'm thinking 11th Armoured here, black bull, with red horns,nose and feet on a yellow background.

/quote]

Do you think there would be sufficient demand to consider setting up a 'divisional sign (etc)' painting service at major shows? Accepting that with most vehicles going there the owners probably want them done beforehand. Point is you have to get them done sometime, yes? So do you think there would be the demand for me to turn up with my painting kit and offer the service? 'Cos I happen to be able to do this kind of stuff if I've got an accurate drawing /photo to work from. No promises, just sounding the water.

Do you think there would be sufficient demand to consider setting up a 'divisional sign (etc)' painting service at major shows? Accepting that with most vehicles going there the owners probably want them done beforehand. Point is you have to get them done sometime, yes? So do you think there would be the demand for me to turn up with my painting kit and offer the service? 'Cos I happen to be able to do this kind of stuff if I've got an accurate drawing /photo to work from. No promises, just sounding the water.

I think you COULD WELL be demand, esp once some of your 'art work', has been shown about.

Which shows are you doing, then................?? :-)

Now there could be the rub, this year! War and Peace would be the obvious as its so well supported and gets the numbers there. Only trouble is I'm not in the country that weekend. By normal routine I work very irregular hours and can be v. busy so I tend to go to something if I get the chance and its convenient to where I am. Beginning to realise this was not a good thing to start :oops: However, it might be more useful to know which events owners, who need paint jobs, might be going to so that if something mutual could be fixed up then everyone will end up happy. Lets face it, its not practical to do a 100 mile trip to paint one marking, yes? But if it can be fitted in with other stuff then who is to say?

I'll see if I can fix up some pics of other stuff I've done to give you an idea of the quality I can achieve.

I'm based in S.Yorks Andy so it would be a nice day trip out for you from Sussex :-) :-). However, it's a reasonable suggestion.

Err, Yeeeeeees :whistle:

Certainly make a certain Mr Brown, smile.............. >:(

Oh well, twas worth asking.................. :roll:

Andy

I bought some of the stencils for my Jeep from Adrian Robins - 01793853446 and made some myself. Regarding technique, you can buy the flexible magnetic strip found on the back of L-plates from Cromwell Industrial Supplies, cut it to length and use to hold stencil on panel locating it as close to the edges as possible to make sure it is held tightly to the panel, giving a crisp, clean edge when painted. Then just spray either with aerosol can or paint gun, 2 or 3 coats does the trick. I found it best to let the paint really dry well, overnight or longer, before taking stencils off.

Happy stenciling

Richard