Comets In Europe

ajmac

In December, 1944 15/19H pulled out of the line and moved to Antwerp to convert from Sherman to Comet. (Regimental history tells us they had been earmarked to land DD Shermans on D-Day but there were not enough landing craft. They were landed over the beaches a short time later as 11 Armd Div Recce Regt, in Cromwells, implying that they had retrained. So at some point between Market Garden - where I believe A Squadron were in a mix of Shermans and Cromwells - and Christmas, they had moved back to Shermans. So they can be seen to have changed mounts no less than four times in about six months.)

They were on the throes of gunnery camp to master the 77mm gun when Wacht am Rhein kicked off and had to drop the Comets and revert to their clapped out Shermans (that, remember, they had only had a couple of months) to in order to head off the three Panzer Armies in the Ardennes. 3RTR also took on Comets at this time.

For the poster referring to his father in 11 Armd Div, that would be 3RTR, who seemed to follow 15/19H everywhere between then and Options For Change after the Cold War. Armoured Farmers (3RTR) and the Geordie Hussars (15/19H) formed a strong bond during that time in places including for example Fallingbostel, Tidworth and Paderborn through the 1970s.

As to Cromwell - Comet - Centurion in the space of a year, this is quite right. I forget who once said that in wartime technology advances in six months the same distance it would twenty years in peacetime.

Oh and for completeness. Rebuilt after Dunkirk, 15/19H spent the years before D-Day on Covenanters which were so dire, they were never used in combat.

For the poster referring to his father in 11 Armd Div, that would be 3RTR, who seemed to follow 15/19H everywhere between then and Options For Change after the Cold War. Armoured Farmers (3RTR) and the Geordie Hussars (15/19H) formed a strong bond during that time in places including for example Fallingbostel, Tidworth and Paderborn through the 1970s.

Officially he was in the Royal Corps of Signals, of course... When I start posting his photos narrated with the commentary from the video he made of his reminincences (assuming people are interested) the locations will come out, but he seemed have spent most of his time in Bad Lippspringe, but he also spoke about Herford quite a bit.

Officially he was in the Royal Corps of Signals, of course... When I start posting his photos narrated with the commentary from the video he made of his reminincences (assuming people are interested)

Absolutely - this is of high interest and would be a great resource!

Thanks will do, hopefully should have a window to start in the next week or so. But it will be a slow process, with two young children my time is rather limited!

I will start a new thread somewhere else on the site, rather than continue to hijack this one. As a taster I attach a picture, entitled "Ex Endurance Feb '52 in same loc as above but bogged to the axles."

NB does the "9" on the White Scout Car signify 9th Armoured Div not the 11th?

Ex Edurance Feb 52 in sa,e loca as abbove but bogged to axles.jpg

Edited by Bystander

Fantastic picture! The 9 is the bridge classification indicating the vehicles gross weight.

It looks like a Command vehicle, I have seen a picture of a similar hard top in a wartime picture so I wonder if it was an official design or a unit mod?

Keep them coming!

he seemed have spent most of his time in Bad Lippspringe

Now (correction, 30 years ago - I dunno if it is still there) the home of the Joint Services Parachute Centre (one of two - the other being at Netheravon).

I did a free-fall course at Netheravon, a few minutes' drive from my unit in Tidworth in 1977 while I was supposed to be handing over to a new unit as we moved to Paderborn, a very short drive from Bad Lippspringe, where I was able to continue jumping. Sadly, it was end of season and I have to say a little cliquey and by the following spring my interest had waned.

Lippspringe also tended to be the home of the Rhine Army Summer Show. Now that Paderborn has become a super-garrison, housing most of BAOR it seems, I dare say the RASS is still located there.