Interesting drive......

ArtistsRifles

Just got back in from delivering the daughter Mk 1 back to her Uni at Tooting in SW(ish) London.

It was one HELL of a trip!!! It was chucking it down heavily with snow (so heavy that as we crossed Tower Bridge you could not see the Tower itself for the snow) and you would expect drivers to be going slow and exercising caution - yes?? No way

Between Tooting and Tower Bridge we were almost rammed by 3 vans speeding up behind us and then a gritting truck came within inches of ploughing (literally) into the traffic queue beside us.

Between Tower Bridge and the Dagenham exit from the A13 we counted no less than 5 crashed cars. At the Eastham exit an idiot in the outside lane decided he wanted the exit, having got to the start of the flyover, - so tried doing a U-turn and nearly smashed into us. There were cars going everywhere at one point, how there wasn't a smash is beyond me. I was all for getting out and pasting his stupid grin all over the bonnet of his car (no prizes for guessing what make it was) - but Val wouldn't let me.. :-(

Make of it what you will - but all 5 wreck were BMW's

Edited by Marmite!!

Ah the joys of an English winter. Unfortunatley the nerds are everywhere all the time. I spend most of my time avoiding other peoples acidents. There is no colour bar, age, social standing religious belif or sexual orentation stops people from being complete >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Looking good here mate! :-D A good six inches and still coming down. Off to play round the feilds with the Dodge. Only bad call is that work phoned me yesterday, 'Want to do some overtime?' And I said NO!!!!! All TFL busues suspended so I'd have been paid , OVERTIME, rate for sitting on my A** :argh:

2 inches - pah -

We have a garden table outside - 10 inches of the white stuff.

I travelled back from Basildon last night leaving about 6pm. Got home to Shirley, Croydon at 2045hrs - travelling 25 miles.

The most problems I had was trying to avoid all the other idiots. Cars going at silly speed and spinning off everywhere. I counted 5 cars/vans from the Dartford tolls to junction 4 buried in to the central reservation.

Oh, I didn't see one gritting lorry on route. Some what surprising as it was widely known this was coming.

Good job I have just started my 4 days off as I wouldn't be able to get to work. The motorways are okay but would be impossible to get to them.

Markheliops

only about a inch if lucky here in eastbourne but still got the ***** out racing around as if nothing

kids love it off school but ive just checked the land rover in case i need to go do a run for the local wrvs for a old dears meal run as their vehicles wont risk driving in heavy snow

Top man Neil, I think I heard you cursing as you drove by Fortress Wapping.

Still here at the old desk with the snow dumping down. Hoping the boss will let us go home soon.

Have fun lads. No doubt Our Man in Nebraska will laugh at our foot of snow. The Hub of the old Empire comes to a halt.

M

My youngest Daughter has just driven from Rochester in Kent to Reading Berks along the M25 and M4. It should have taken 1.5 to 2 hours in normal conditions, but today it took her 5 Hours from 9am to 2pm. She said there were several breakdowns on the M25 slowing things down. The snow looks worse in Kent than Berkshire.

Well you could pack and visit downunder, but the last couple of days its been so hot that you have to wait half an hour for the water to cool down to have a cold shower. I should of stayed in Darwin as it was cooler, but the beers cold.

See you a Corowa?

I live near tooting and had no difficulty driving to work today in my VW Golf. All those years of reading driving tips in land rover magazines paid off.

I work on the railway and all of the 15 diesel units i look after were running and ready for service, but there were no drivers to take them out. When the drivers arrived, there were no ops staff to run the network. Most amusing. We had our units on standby to rescue stranded electric units, and tonight they are being used to run up and down to Brighton to keep the rails clear.

I live near tooting and had no difficulty driving to work today in my VW Golf. All those years of reading driving tips in land rover magazines paid off.

I work on the railway and all of the 15 diesel units i look after were running and ready for service, but there were no drivers to take them out. When the drivers arrived, there were no ops staff to run the network. Most amusing. We had our units on standby to rescue stranded electric units, and tonight they are being used to run up and down to Brighton to keep the rails clear.

The Daughter Mk 1 got home at 17:00 Hrs tonight after having left Tooting Broadway station at 10:00 Hrs having received an e-mail telling her the uni is closed for at least next two days due to a lack of teaching staff!!

Lucky I'm not still working as the kids have built a 6' snowball over the front of our drive .... :shake:

Hello Snapper , sorry to report have only had 11" total snow fall here in the Heartland all winter so far and I don't think we had more than a few inches at any one time . all that amounted to 1" of precipitation .

They have had a much more difficult time of it on the East coast with much heavier snow falls and a lot of Ice storms its knocked out power and brought down lots of trees on to power lines and block lots of roads both in New England and in the Kentucky region , they have gone a week or more in both areas with out power.

I ve been reading of late about the Blizzards of 1948/1949 in Nebraska storm after storm drifts 30-40' yes FEET they melted froze and re-drifted for 5 months starting in early November right straight through to mid April , they had traces of snow on the ground till July 4th . Now that's some winter.

That said I still would not knock your current storm Slick roads , white out conditions ,drifting snow ,people stranded , could be a record setter over there .

Day two of major winter disaster: Canibalisim reported in London!! The day after the day before. Thousands suffering Latte withdrawl symptoms. Millions unable to leave on their sking holidays!! Abn Deuce, you wouldn't stop laughing.

-Breaking news-

Massive snowball fights reported in London...

Riotpolice shot 15 people after a stray snowball landed 10 meters from a Policeman.

Also a crazed busdriver was seen standing on his bus mooning the public.

It was reported on the BBC here today that 1 in 5 did not make it to work yesterday and if that happened today would have impacted British productivity to quite a figure . The other item was that the snow did what even the Blitz in WWII failed to do ..........Stop the Bus's , Of course what they did not include was the number of cars on the road or stuck in the roads that caused the jams that kept the bus's from moving .