A few vehicles to identify

antarmike

Not sure what the first one is, looks a bit like a Leyland Retreiver but the rad and head lights dont look right but I do know where the photo was taken. The place is Allt y Badi, Llangollen. The army tested a number of vehicles in this area in the thirties, some of the routes can still be driven and I have done so frequently but the condition of them has deteriorated considerably in the intervening years.

The last photo with that large section of rubber missing from the wheel it must have produced quite a lurching ride at the end !:drive::shake:

Cant make out the speed painted on the frame :coffee:

Have you noticed spoked wheel on one side, disc wheel on other, These trucks have just had a very hard life....

I took it that the near wheel had a metal disc attached to the same style spoked wheel on the other side and that there was a section of the metal disc missing from the far side wheel ???

These vehicles are being rebuilt after WW1 (1919) for sale to civilian operatorsa, they have had a hard life.... nearly 4000 of this type passed through this factory being reconditioned........

1 - Leyland Retriever - ok you've already said what this is

2 - AEC Marshal - you say this isn't an AEC - looks like an AEC badge on the hubcaps

3 - Thornycroft, parafin tractor

4 - Star

5 - Thornycroft

6 - Leyland RAF type

2 Hardy 3-5 Tonner. Hardy were a subsiduary of AEC and this truck has a Marshal bogey. Hardy had links with the American F.W.D. and are also known for building Railcars.

3 Correct 1906 Thornycroft Petrol/Paraffin 1906 with serachlight generator.

4 Star , one of a fleet supplied to the Russian Army in 1914.

Star Motor Co. Ltd. Merged with Guy, Guy then joined the ancestral line of Swallow side Car co, SS Cars, Jaguar cars Ltd., Shortly after these had themselves merged with the Daimler/ Lanchester ancestral line. This merged line later joining Becoming part of British Motor Holdings Ltd, which joined other lines to form British Leyland Ltd. I don't know whether that makes sense or not.

5 Sorry, not Thornycroft, I think it quite an unlikely manufacturer, I leave this one open for further guessing......

6 Leyland RAF Type correct. 4,000 of the type were returned to Leyland after the Great War, and Leyland bought a factory at Ham, Surrey to fully recondition them, for resale. Leyland lost money in the project, but the vehicles were very well renovated, and gave Leyland a name for reliability which was to serve them well.

Good going, Runflat.

Edited by antarmike