Any Recommendations for Auschwitz/Birkenau Trip?

year1jeep

Hi!

I'm hoping to take my son to Poland this year over a long weekend to visit Krakow, Aushwitz and Birkenau - a bit too far for our backsides in the Jeep!

Whilst we've visited Normandy a few times making all the arrangements ourselves, this time we'd like it all organised for us. Just wondering if anyone can recommend an all in tour, with accomodation etc. - we're trying to do it as smoothly as possible!

Any experiences on here?

Thanks

Gerry

Edited by year1jeep

Friends of mine made the trip with a similar sounding arrangement as suggested by Neil. It has to be done. No cameras mind...well, not inside the museum places.

My wife visited Dachau several years ago on a school trip and has never forgotten the experience. There was a party of German school kids on the trip who were in jaw-dropped bewilderment for the whole experience.

It's Holocaust day today - by coincidence. To be frank it isn't a day that really means a great deal to me. I feel detached from the Holocaust in a way I cannot explain. Ethnic perhaps, but more because I can't empathise. I guess I have to make the trip.

MB

I visited Aushwitz when I was in Poland with the TA.

Very moving place.

You can join a guided tour when you arrive.

To be honest, you will want to stay quite a long time and a guided tour may try to rush you along.

I suggest you just visit in your own time.

Markheliops

• 2 weeks later...

If you can arrange a day in Warsaw, it's worth a look at the Polish Army Museum. There's also the Museum of the Warsaw Uprising which I was told was worth a visit but alas I didnt get time for. Warsaw old town is also worth a look.

I intend to go back to visit Auschwitz as I didnt get the chance when I was out there.