leyland hippo gallery

just thought i would start one because i have some nice pics to share from when my grandad drove one in the RAF just after the war in egypt . I never met my grandad but i,m sure hes got something to do with my fascination with lorrys as i am told he was the same .

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Edited by younggun

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thata a nice set of photos young fella the badge on the side looks like 51 motor transport company

Fantastic there is a great little book by Woodfield publishing group about 51 MTC later known as 51 MT Sqn. They had an unbelievable array of truck types including both Mack & White 6x4 10 tonners.

initially many of their trucks ran on eygpt issue WD plates the triangular badge was preceded by a broad forward facing arrow on the cab doors with the number 51 impossed in it. I am sure some one in one of the threads posted a piccy of a WHITE which contary to its caption is actually a an RAF 51 MTC truck.

Young GUN its a great little book your grandad may well be mentioned !!

thanks for sharing the photos

TED

Fantastic there is a great little book by Woodfield publishing group about 51 MTC later known as 51 MT Sqn. They had an unbelievable array of truck types including both Mack & White 6x4 10 tonners.

initially many of their trucks ran on eygpt issue WD plates the triangular badge was preceded by a broad forward facing arrow on the cab doors with the number 51 impossed in it. I am sure some one in one of the threads posted a piccy of a WHITE which contary to its caption is actually a an RAF 51 MTC truck.

Young GUN its a great little book your grandad may well be mentioned !!

thanks for sharing the photos

TED

thanks for that ted i have searched out a copy of the book on the inter web thingy and placed an order . i have some more pics of some whites and macks out there

nick

Here are acouple of Hippo shots for the thread, a MK2A with twin rear wheels and the early MK1 with open canvas top. A number of these went to france and were lost but i have read a small number had remained in the UK and were gradually phased out in the mid 1940s i also have a photo showing that a number went to the middle east, it would be interesting to find out how many arrived there and if any lay at the bottom of the sea in sunken ships

hmvf1.jpg

hmvf2.jpg

Hippos, great trucks!!!!

A couple of pictures of preserved ones.

The first was mine and went to somwhere around Heathrow in early 90's, the transfer box had been turned round so it had 5 overdrive gears!!! Could never get into top gear as it was too high!!!

HIPPO1.jpg

leylandhippo1.jpg

Hippos, great trucks!!!!

A couple of pictures of preserved ones.

The first was mine and went to somwhere around Heathrow in early 90's, the transfer box had been turned round so it had 5 overdrive gears!!! Could never get into top gear as it was too high!!!

Thank you for posting these two great pictures Brooky. There was one living at Newbridge near Bath and another at Winkleigh Aerodrome. I should think they've both moved on by now.

Thank you for posting these two great pictures Brooky. There was one living at Newbridge near Bath and another at Winkleigh Aerodrome. I should think they've both moved on by now.

I towed the one at Winkleigh to Preston Issac's Cobbaton Combat Collection about 3 years ago.

I towed the one at Winkleigh to Preston Issac's Cobbaton Combat Collection about 3 years ago.

I wish you'd brought it round to my place instead. I seem to remember it had been standing there for years. Still, at least you didn't have to tow it very far. Where are you based ekawrecker ?

Edited by 6 X 6

I wish you'd brought it round to my place instead. I seem to remember it had been standing there for years. Still, at least you didn't have to tow it very far. Where are you based ekawrecker ?

I'm near Heathrow, but I was in Devon with the Scammell towing other stuff about and it wasn't far as you said.:)

Is it still there ???

Yes but it is what appears to be in a very rough (read lace curtains) state and I am not sure if the yard owner would part with it! He would probably say 'he was going to do it up'. As he has (not) done with the numerous other rusting lumps in the yard. As his old fella did (not)before him :(. The pic doesnt show it but I seem to remember a small tree growing up through it.

Yes but it is what appears to be in a very rough (read lace curtains) state and I am not sure if the yard owner would part with it! He would probably say 'he was going to do it up'. As he has (not) done with the numerous other rusting lumps in the yard. As his old fella did (not)before him :(. The pic doesnt show it but I seem to remember a small tree growing up through it.

If I live to be 100 I'll NEVER understand folk like this,.........and they seem to be same in nearly every hobbie/walk of life,......from steam traction through aircraft/boats, to sewing machines, (don't ask),........don't even get me started on the Side axe collectors.........:argh:.

Fine, I can understand holding onto said item, for a while with view to restoration/using said item,......but there must come a time where the majority of us see that it's not gonna happen, and release item tpo generate funds to do something usfull with...........I know freedom of choice, etc,........at times it just seems a crying shame, asp when something really special ends up as nothing more than a pile of scrap, simply because someone didn't want to admit it was possibly beyond their means/skills to save it and pass it on.

Not a pop at anyone in particular,......guess we all know of someone like the above..................I'll just go and count/polish my side axe collection....:cool2: NOT