Your recent books

Snapper

Ok chaps...

What good books have you had lately that you haven't told us about? You can bet your bottom euro I am interested in having a couple of sentences you can offer on them to build a digest for the front end. Don't be coy - or any other fish for that matter - I am not forcing you, and you don't have to be as verbose as me. I just want some confederates to do some good stuff with the reviews section.

You know it makes sense (it might not in the early hours of Jan 1 - but who's counting?)

MB

I am at the moment reading;"Once upon a time in war" by Robert Humphrey.

About the US 99th Infantry Division.

Great read so far. I bought it because I know 1 of the veterans who was interviewed. Never met him in person, only through the internet.

"Sniper One" by Sgt Dan Mills, by far and away to my mind at least the best true account of combat with the British Army, it is absolutely superb, a battle group comprising men from the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment, holed up in a compound in Fallujah Iraq, very close combat with overwhelming numbers of enemy continually hitting them, a staggering statistic at the end of the book is that during the period of battle, they used more ammunition than the whole army during the invasion of Iraq.

Pte Beharry VC is also mentioned in this book as his Warrior AFV was engaged in the same area of action.

I cant say enough about it, you really have to read it yourself, if you want to know what it is like to be in the British Army today, up front and in the thick of it then go and buy this book, and put some money in Dan Mills pocket.......because he deserves it!

I'm currently re-reading Ice Cold in Alex by the author Christopher Landon.

Austin, could you tell us how faithful to the book the film version was please?

Always enjoy seeing the film but have come to realise that films often bear little resemblence to what the author had in mind.

"Sniper One" by Sgt Dan Mills, by far and away to my mind at least the best true account of combat with the British Army, it is absolutely superb, a battle group comprising men from the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment, holed up in a compound in Fallujah Iraq, very close combat with overwhelming numbers of enemy continually hitting them, a staggering statistic at the end of the book is that during the period of battle, they used more ammunition than the whole army during the invasion of Iraq.

Pte Beharry VC is also mentioned in this book as his Warrior AFV was engaged in the same area of action.

I cant say enough about it, you really have to read it yourself, if you want to know what it is like to be in the British Army today, up front and in the thick of it then go and buy this book, and put some money in Dan Mills pocket.......because he deserves it!

Just finished it excellent read

Austin, could you tell us how faithful to the book the film version was please?

Always enjoy seeing the film but have come to realise that films often bear little resemblence to what the author had in mind.

There are a couple of chapters at the start of the book describing the situation in Tobruk, why John Mills was alcoholic, why the MSM was lonely and how they broke out.

Basically the film was absolutely faithful within limits in what it depicted, but this was only a subset of the book. It amazed me how much was contained in a thin paperback.

Here's a great book for lovers of the wooden crate and jerrycan in bulk!

I was put on to it by the helpful guys at 514th QM Truck Regt www.514th.co.uk

It describes the amazing achievements following D Day to get supplies to the front line. Efficient use of words, leaving plenty of room for the wonderful selection of pictures :)

ISBN 2-912925-36-3

20 Euros

:yay::yay:

10MT for Victory.jpg

That looks to be a most interesting book. I see that it is only 80 pages which is a shame as i just cant get enough of this stuff. I must comment on how good these French books are. Perhaps a different view point that a British author.

Tim (too)

I agree with you there, Tim. The author describes the efforts in a 'once removed', and at times even critical (when appropriate) way, but it must be the most realistic review of the operations I have come across. The conclusing paragraph gives a chilling view on what might have been avoided had things been even better organised.....

Ignore the page quantity - this book packs more into 80 pages than you could imagine :readbook: :thumbsup:

Re: Sniper One. Agreed. One of the few really good mordern British warfare books. More to come in the reviews section soon because there have been a flood of the things from Iraq and Afghanistan. The book was actually ghost written by Tom Newton Dunn of The Sun, which is a trade secret. He did a bloody good job and is a really nice bloke.

I'm just reading a book called Eight Lives Down by Chris Hunter, an ATO in Iraq whose book covers the same time as Sniper One and includes Beharry and co.

Just finished reading two "Charleys war" books that i got for Christmas. For those not in the know, Charleys War was a comic strip in Battle comic and was my introduction to the real horrors of WW1. The drawings of Joe Coloquon really are staggeringly real and i think that this had a great deal to do with my interest in this war.

I also received the weighty tome "Organization and insignia of the American Expeditionary Force 1917 to 1923". A fantastic book which i cant wait to get stuck into. At £60 it is a bit expensive but full of photos and information. Did anybody else get this one or am i the only one who would find this interesting?

Tim (too)