AWDC Speed event test

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unusual for nick to fall over thats why he did so well,now trialling in his Haflinger a totally different story.now have i got any film somewhere.

Haflingers, brilliant little vehicles apart from being prone to falling over, a guy in our village used one as his daily drive until recently, quite a character he now uses a Series1 Land Rover or a Morgan 3 wheeler also has a miniature Scammel that his children used to drive around at shows.

Many moons ago in the days of black and white 405 line TV. Once a year on a Saturday afternoon the BBC used to show a competion bettween the Army and the London Motor Club off road. Vehicles used to run down parralel tracks similar to the 'New' rally speed stages. One such pairing was Stolly and a Haflinger. They both roared off and the Haflinger came to grief in a bush. Best BBC presenter 'Oh I say that looks bad, No the Haflinger driver seems alright. We'll just have a word with him'. First time I heard swearing on TV. Fell promptly in love with both vehicles.

Many moons ago in the days of black and white 405 line TV. Once a year on a Saturday afternoon the BBC used to show a competion bettween the Army and the London Motor Club off road. Vehicles used to run down parralel tracks similar to the 'New' rally speed stages. One such pairing was Stolly and a Haflinger. They both roared off and the Haflinger came to grief in a bush. Best BBC presenter 'Oh I say that looks bad, No the Haflinger driver seems alright. We'll just have a word with him'. First time I heard swearing on TV. Fell promptly in love with both vehicles.

Now that was in the good old days of Saturday afternoon on the box, lots of motorsport and a real mixed bag of other sports, now all they can think about is football and horse racing:argh:

Many moons ago in the days of black and white 405 line TV. Once a year on a Saturday afternoon the BBC used to show a competion bettween the Army and the London Motor Club off road.

I particularly recollect the twin engined Moke, Austin K9 and Champs taking part. Would like to see a repeat of that on BBC.......will not hold my breath though :(

I think they were live Richard. So no chance of the archive. I did end up owning an Austin gipsy though. :-D Anyone else have a Mother who was addicted to the Wrestling on Saturday afternoon? Jakie Pallo, Mike Mc Manus and the Royal brothers?

Not b....y likely:rofl:

It was a live broadcast from Hungry hill near Aldershot, managed to get in to watch it, was good fun, Landrover were there one year with an experimental 88" powered with a Buick V6 engine!

John Couzens, lovely bloke, sadly passed away a while ago CW, did he own the Jeep? do you remember his outrageous LR bodied military truck? First monster truck seen in UK!

I was looking at the other yellow motor broken in the background, relevance is it features in your 2nd video I believe.

Also in that pic a 6 wheel RR, it was supposed to have been built for Noel Edmonds as I recall.

IMAG0000.JPG

john couzens a gent of a chap he also owned one of the big olie ford broncos one 3 i think it came over for the very first hill rally not sure if it ran but it did compete for the fist rerun in the late 80s we towed him out on one stage i was doing rally recovery at the event sad to hear he has passed along with others of that era from the awdc

John Couzens, lovely bloke, sadly passed away a while ago CW, did he own the Jeep? do you remember his outrageous LR bodied military truck? First monster truck seen in UK!

I was looking at the other yellow motor broken in the background, relevance is it features in your 2nd video I believe.

Also in that pic a 6 wheel RR, it was supposed to have been built for Noel Edmonds as I recall.

John Couzens monster truck was a military Commer 4x4 chassis with LR body, the yellow vehicle was a much hyped coil sprung landrover with a Dutton sports car body, don't remember it actually ever finishing an event, the six wheel RR was one of Alvin Smiths creations

Guest catweazle (Banned Member)

Theres more from the pit if anyone wants to see it.I thought the Dutton had leaf springs on the back will have another look.

Theres more from the pit if anyone wants to see it.I thought the Dutton had leaf springs on the back will have another look.

As usual you're right CW, I seem to remember that the front radius arm mounting had torn off the chassis at Weavers, and it was coils all round, this being the latest thing then. Maybe it was work in progressive development. :confused: