The Fun Police

Marmite!!

At the Workshops, being Govt, they were hot on all this and we had to see films, lectures, etc. I had to do risk assesments in my section, all a loss of productivity. Someone would walk around and see something being done and find fault with it, usually this someone had no idea, which sums it all up. The best one was our 60 ton hydraulic press, it was decided by "someone" that flying objects could be ejected while using it, so plastic semi-clear curtains were hung directly around it, so that they got in the way of you using the tool and also you could not see what was happening. Was there common sense in that? No, because the velocity of something flying out would go straight through the curtain, so it was a calculated risk. If we did not take calcualted risks, we would not get out of bed in the morning.

:-D

I was at an establishment recently. A worker told me that an inspector informed him he had just infringed the Materials Handling Policy by lifting a small oil drum. It has to be a 2-man job, he replied if that is so, why is there only one carrying handle? The answer it seemed was to empty some of it out so as to comply, but to do that somebody has to pick it up...... & so it goes on.

I just wish if any of these issues end up in court, which is presumably the final sanction of infringements, that a judge would have the courage to say "Oh for goodness sake, don't be so damn silly."

Edited by fv1609

That reminds me Clive , on our lorry at work it has in one of the lockers a lovely big box which keeps all the breaking in gear in one place and it is marked up with its weight and the fact that it is a two person lift but must only be carried when empty ! Great ! Why bother with a box at all !!!!!!!! Makes me so mad ! :argh: Its like every time they reduce the size of cement bags all people do is carry two , oh and surprise surprise it puts the cost up !!:argh::argh::argh::argh:

Did anybody else notice that the 'Consultant' during his lecture on 'Manual Handlaing' pulled a cardboard box out from under a bench? The box contained various tins, at no time did he check the contents or that the tops of any cans were tight. The box had obvous discoulartion around the base. He then lifts the thing, whithout checking the bottom of the box, which was heavily discouloured was secure. The sides of the box then flexed. So one why were the contents in such a container? Two why didn't he notice all the signs of a weak box? Three why did he then lift it? Four why pay money to someone who is such an obvious P***?

Its like every time they reduce the size of cement bags all people do is carry two , oh and surprise surprise it puts the cost up !!:argh::argh::argh::argh:

HaHa, a long time ago (late '60s I think) Blue Circle introduced 1/2 cwt bags to make life easier, they were so unpopular with site workers they had to be withdrawn :-D

And this was in the days before forklifts!

I was talking to the owner of the Lancaster cockpit at W&P this year. He said that this was the last year for displaying the cockpit as H&S had 'requested' he cover all the interior with padding incase children injure themselves.

I was talking to the owner of the Lancaster cockpit at W&P this year. He said that this was the last year for displaying the cockpit as H&S had 'requested' he cover all the interior with padding incase children injure themselves.

You can just imagine how WW2 would have been with todays H&S morons around - rubber bayonets, heavily padded tank interiors, nothing that could go "bang" in any shape or form..... :confused: