BAOR division markings

Adam Elsdon

Off Topic question about that photo - I'm currently researching 60 pattern kit, which those two lads are wearing. Unless I miss my guess, they're using Gaiters rather than putees; with this in mind, what date is the photo?

Ted is spot on with the dates, this particular one i believe was taken in 1961.

Here are a couple of pics with Green Howards on exercise, same period. Note the muddied out unit markings.

Pigs Sennelager Green Howards.jpg

Pig Green Howards 32BK54.jpg

Edited by Adam Elsdon

That is a crossed key & cutlass thing both in white. If it is a red background with a blue '5' above them it is 5th Brigade. But if it is blue background with a red '6' it is 6th Brigade.

Tony

Or is it, according to clive its 5 brigade!

Adam lights the blue touchpaper and retires..:box:

Looks more like a bayonet than a cutlass though!

Edited by Adam Elsdon

Clive, what date do they originate from, as the vehicles they are applied to dont have the brigade numbers?

Found a website showing alot of the brigade insignia from WW2, but doesnt go any further on than that, quite good nonetheless if you want to identify markings:-

http://www.petergh.f2s.com/flashes.html

Cant find anything similiar for Postwar, which is a pity. Had a look on BAOR-locations.com but they dont have any either.

Edited by Adam Elsdon
additional info

Off Topic question about that photo - I'm currently researching 60 pattern kit, which those two lads are wearing. Unless I miss my guess, they're using Gaiters rather than putees; with this in mind, what date is the photo?

I wore gaiters in the regular RMP in 1975.

aha! found a picture in my own reference folder which supports the number with the division insignia, you need to squint to make out the number. The vehicle also belongs to the Green Howards.

The small square in the centre i would presume would be the white square/red circle, indicating it has been filled with antifreeze.

And it looks like they got carried away with applying 8 to this vehicle looking at the bridge plate!

Pig Green Howards 8 ton.jpg

I wore gaiters in the regular RMP in 1975.

Interesting... thanks :)

I wore gaiters and 37 Patt webbing JLR RAC 1972-74

OK, thanks :)

This is getting odd. I was under the distinct impression that gaiters went out with Battle Dress, replaced by short puttees on the introduction of 60-pattern Olive Greens. I've photographic confirmation of this from several sources, and yet first hand anecdotal and photo evidence on here suggests that gaiters were in use even after the initial issues of 68-pattern DPM kit.

This is getting really bloody odd!

Hmm... where'd I leave the sandpaper... I'm getting splinters in me bonce from all the head scratching of late :nut:

In my experience, the forces use stuff for years, how about the old First Aid Kits in the webbing pack, i was using a bag dated 1944 in 1994 as a vehicle FAK, i think health and safety eventually stipulated you had to use a more modern version.

I still had some 68 pattern lined DPM jackets and trousers when we had to hand it in to get the "Soldier 95" kit which was a bugger, as it was really comfortable, i used to use it on exercises, it was totally rustle free/silent been quite soft to the touch.

Good point; I guess a lot of the photos I've laid my mitts on are what could be described as "PR" photos, so they would want to get the uniform just right, but even so, I've been getting hold of material over the last couple of weeks that tends to show all manner of odd combinations of kit :wow:

I think I had best make the best use of the anecdotal info for the most part; I half suspect it'll be closer to the actual situation that was out there in BAOR in the 60s than any actual photographic "evidence" that has or might come to light!

Anyhow, cheers one and all for the assists here :) They're VERY much appreciated :thanx: :-D

In my experience, the forces use stuff for years, how about the old First Aid Kits in the webbing pack, i was using a bag dated 1944 in 1994 as a vehicle FAK, i think health and safety eventually stipulated you had to use a more modern version.

I still had some 68 pattern lined DPM jackets and trousers when we had to hand it in to get the "Soldier 95" kit which was a bugger, as it was really comfortable, i used to use it on exercises, it was totally rustle free/silent been quite soft to the touch.

Definitely agree there Adam, the 68 pattern stuff was much more comfortable that the 95 pattern kit. I think I even prefer the shirts KF to the DPM 95 patter ones.... Certainly warmer in the cab when driving :)

Just wish I could get hold of some again... :cry:

Shirts, KF, may be easily obtained (after a bit of rummaging) from Sabre Sales in Pompy...

Addy: 85-87 Castle Road, Southsea, Hants., PO5 3AY

Tel: 023 9283 3394

Give 'em a bell before you turn up so that they can make sure there's someone on hand to help you - you have to rummage around yourself to get the gear, and the shop/warehouse is HUMONGOUS! When I first visited the place, my eyes damn near parted company with my skull, they popped out so far! :shocked:

Oh, and while parking in that area is, indeed, free, expect to drive around for a parking place a couple of times ;)

Hope this is of help :)