Lost Village, D-Day, range wrecks....

Jack

The whole village was active until the ministry took it. It was promised back to them but didn't happen. The village has become derelict and the only place that survived was the of cause teh church and the school was later restored.

A most fasinating place and try and get there when you are next in Dorset - just some of the horses below. The first picture if of the main street - the picture above being as it was...

Picture001-8.jpg

Picture018-3.jpg

Picture017-4.jpg

Picture029-2.jpg

Picture006-4.jpg

Jack,

Saracens..........the top photo is a Armoured Command Vehicle (ACV) and the lower is Armoured Personnel Carrier (APC)

Great thread, thanks.

The top one is a Saracen APC RA, much higher than an ACV. With most of the attachments missing, I wouldn't care to state whether the second is an ACV or an APC (which were the same body shell).

One of my few remaining photos of my time in service (if I could find it) shows B Sqn, 15/19H in Tyneham Gap in 1977.

I was OC's LR driver and he was really excited because instead of just getting the usual ranges to fire our Scorpions on, we were allowed to be the first squadron to use Tyneham Battle Run in many a year. The squadron leader was adamant that due respect was to be paid to the village for the reasons you have seen presented. I suspect that although the battle run was actually routed down the valley, it went around the village. Baz might remember.

I had to remove the canvas because as well as the squadron leader in the front, we carried Instructors, Gunnery (IGs) and high-ranking observers. We followed close behind each troop in turn as they carried out their orders.

On one occasion, we stopped right behind the troop, I dismounted the LR and stood myself behind the nearest Scorpion to try and catch the next one along firing. I was legal because I was not forward of the gun trunnions of the car I was next to, but because of the way they had stopped, I was actually slightly forward of the next one, so the angle of the pic is unusual. No matter how hard I tried to time the picture with the gunner pressing the tit on the "W" of his shouted "FIRING NOW!", I never actually got an action pic.

On the first run down, the Senior IG and the squadron leader had me collect mushrooms from one of the fields. Untouched in years, some were immense, maybe a foot across. I placed them carefully in the back, but after we had been down and up with five sabre troops and with people standing in the back, all we had at the end was a mess that muggins here had to clean up.