Where is this - Clive DS??

Jack

I know exactly where you are both talking about, but I'm not sure its the exact spot. The escarpment looks just a bit too steep and I'm not sure about that yellow shrub - I'm not familiar with these kind of bushes in the Kennet Valley locale. Do you know what type of shrub that is Jack?

Having said that, it does look very much like the area of Ramsbury Airfield where the living accommodation was sited. If it is the same place, the bank on the left (further around the corner) was built upon with living quarters quonset huts and even the land in the distance appears to be in the correct position......

Its a superb find on Joris's part and I will get Neil to view it and give his opinions. The picture is in fact so good, that I initially passed it off as a modern re-enactor shot!

I think this shots below shows the valley that you are both thinking it is but of course these pictures are taken from exactly the opposite direction.

DSC_0374.jpg

Ed Abbott keeps the Route to Victory Convoy moving forward........

DSC_0382.jpg

Steve Silburn with his International M5A1 Half Track from Suffolk leads the convoy through Ramsbury Airfield.

Edited by M5Clive

Gentlemen,

May I say how personally aggrieved and hurt I am that you have chosen to debate the fair environs of ye olde Station 469 without involving my ever so umble self! Let's be clear here, when dealing with such matters, it's important to skip the monkey and instead go direct to the organ grinder!!

Joking aside, I am convinced that this isn't the location you all feel it might be although I am impressed that (given their respective ages!) both Jack and Degsy recall the site with such clarity - the similarities are very strong.

I'd love it if it was, but to me it doesn't stack up. Attached are a pair of 1944 and 2007 comparisons of the location concerned, taken 180 degrees from where Clive's RTV convoy long shot is taken.

Fundamentally, in the wartime shot you should see the following:

Tall Beech and other trees to the right of the the gorse bushes all the way along the road.

Tall Beech trees blocking the cameraman's forward view down the road at this location - these were felled in 1999/2000

In WW2 the field beyond the V between the trees was totally wooded such that you would not have been able to view the top of the distant escarpment for tree growth as per the 1944 shot - nissen huts were then built throughout this area.

Added to the above point, the height difference between the concrete road and the surrounding hillsides/escarpment is too great.

The field directly to the left of the road in the wartime shot would have had terraced nissen huts on its lower slopes during WW2. Admittedly this could have been taken before they were built, but the other reasons above already discount it fully for me.

I do have one other shot which should add further weight to my thesis but I need to locate and scan it in etc - don't hold your breath.

The more pertinent point in all of this is where did the image come from Joris, are there any more in the sequence and can we access a bigger resolution original to dribble over?!!

I would guess it is somewhere in Dorset around Jack's neck of the woods or slightly closer to the coast, possible even on estate land due to what looks like a concrete road. Jack, is it even a wartime shot? I wouldn't trust you not to have contrived this as a cunning marketing ploy to surreptitiously get us all believing in the authenticity of the latest batch of tents you've had shipped in from Pakistan!!!

Best wishes,

Neil

For more on Ramsbury airfield see http://www.YITKV.co.uk

Ramsbury 86th EM Area 1944.jpg

Ramsbury 86th EM Area 2007.jpg

Gentlemen,

May I say how personally aggrieved and hurt I am that you have chosen to debate the fair environs of ye olde Station 469 without involving my ever so umble self! Let's be clear here, when dealing with such matters, it's important to skip the monkey and instead go direct to the organ grinder!!

That just made me laugh out loud Neil!! But in our defence, CDS is quite often here :coffee: to help out :sweat:

Joking aside, I am convinced that this isn't the location you all feel it might be although I am impressed that (given their respective ages!) both Jack and Degsy recall the site with such clarity.

Yeah I was surprised by that too!

I would guess it is somewhere in Dorset around Jack's neck of the woods or slightly closer to the coast, possible even on estate land due to what looks like a concrete road.

Not so sure Neil. I not sure if it is that clear cut. The road could well be chalk which would indicate downland or a downland estate but the chalk belt runs from Devon up through to the east coast, under the channel and on into Denmark. But then we have gorse bushes, which indicate acidic soil but chalk is a limestone. If you look at the last tent in the foreground and then at the road, it looks like it has been graded as there is a distinct line on the road. And judging but the trees I would say that it is late winter.

I would also say that looking at the geology and the way the camp is set out in the back ground that the road runs round to the left........I am sure we went to the right??

Gents,

We did go to the left and up the hill, but the road also went to the right as well. The left turn up the hill is not visible in the wartime shot but was there. During the war the road also went straight ahead just after it curved to the right, creating a crossroads although that fourth leg of the crossroads was ripped up when the wood was ripped up and the land used for crops.

Bow to your superior knowledge on geology and soils Jack, unless anyone fancies challenging you, in which case I might wade in! The Sussex Weald was the other area which came to mind, but its just guesswork.

Thanks for the heads up on the source, There are some cracking colour shots on there, especially the Moreton in Marsh High Street shots, which Martin Collins has been recreating then and now comparisons for today. When received I'll post them if he hasn't already.

A 'fashinating' exposé of LIFE's archive! Tops marks.

Neil

steep and I'm not sure about that yellow shrub - I'm not familiar with these kind of bushes in the Kennet Valley locale. Do you know what type of shrub that is Jack?.

Clive though the picture is fuzzy the yellow shrub appears to be common gorse.

Ashley

I now have to agree with Neil and Clive that although the photograph bears a striking resemblance to the area in question it doesn't quite add up. The gorse bushes are a major clue, as Jack says they grow on acidic soil and the Kennet valley is chalk also on looking more closely at the photograph there are differences. It would be very interesting to find out where the photo was taken.

It would be very interesting to find out where the photo was taken.

Hi Degsy,

As the photos were taken in wartime, the locations may not have been recorded for security, but there might be a way of pinning the location down.......the photographer is known, and I think the date is recorded, so with his photos numbered, it might be possible to get a bit more info if other photos from the same time frame can be found, ie on the same day. But....it seems this Google LIFE website does not have a very good search facility. Perhaps there is a way of contacting LIFE people direct, or whoever owns the photo library.

I now have to agree with Neil and Clive that although the photograph bears a striking resemblance to the area in question it doesn't quite add up. The gorse bushes are a major clue, as Jack says they grow on acidic soil and the Kennet valley is chalk also on looking more closely at the photograph there are differences. It would be very interesting to find out where the photo was taken.

Bear with me Degsy, as you know, they can pick out patches of acid soil. I am google to go and look at google earth as I don't want you, Clive and Neil to be all wrong :coffee:

Neil - something strange in the images that you posted. Have a look at the oak trees in both pictures. See anything strange about them?

Edited by Jack
found my glasse's - now they are oak trees..

Hi Degsy,

As the photos were taken in wartime, the locations may not have been recorded for security, but there might be a way of pinning the location down.......the photographer is known, and I think the date is recorded, so with his photos numbered, it might be possible to get a bit more info if other photos from the same time frame can be found, ie on the same day. But....it seems this Google LIFE website does not have a very good search facility. Perhaps there is a way of contacting LIFE people direct, or whoever owns the photo library.

I think it's going to take a lot of tracking down, perhaps somebody will be able to spend the necessary amoumnt of time cross referencing on the Time site in order to narrow it down.

Some of the sides of the chalk hills will be covered by sands gravels and clays. Even if this layer may be quite thin, the soil can remain acidic and acid loving plants will thrive so long as their roots do not penetrate the chalk-bearing strata. But interesting how they came to spread there in the first place. Birds maybe?

Golden Gorse - a colour picked in late 1800s from the heath around Holt by Mrs Bill Marriott (the chief engineer of the M&GN Railway in East Anglia) for the express passenger engine livery. And very smart it was too. You probably didn't need to know that :n00b: